Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a conspiracy nutter. Really I'm not but what I just experienced got under my skin.

Just over a month ago I finished the 12 hour course.
The next Monday I called for my appointent to get printed etc.
The soonest they could get me in was 4 weeks and one day. Today.

My appointment was for 2:30 but as usual I was early but not by much. I walked up to one of the two windows and stated why I was there and I was a few minutes early. She checked the 'paper' schedual for my name and told me to wait over by the map and lady will be right out.
The map was 15 feet away and as I walked I noticed a sign that said turn off all cell phones. I'm a good boy so I did.
IT SAID 2:22PM.
I waited about 30 seconds before she came out and called my name. She ushered me back to her area behind the two windows.
She looked over my 4 papers for entries in all boxes. Then she had me sign and date the third paper. Then I was told to back up against the wall for a photo. That seemed odd since I was required to provide a photo, but what ever. She took my $67. and gave me a reciept and told me it will be from 2 days to 3 weeks and walk out the same door and turn left to be printed.
So I asked why the big difference in time delays. She said it will take longer if you have any criminal history or the prints don't come out right.
Thanks, out the door and I turn left.
I wait at the next window for 30 seconds before the gent came over.
He took my DL and photo copied it and invited me back. He then swiped my DL magnetic strip to bring up my record(s). The he asked me to keypunch my social and write my phone# on a paper.
Next was the prints.
Four fingers from the right hand and hold for 5 seconds. Done. SAme for the left. Done. Then the two thumbs on the plate. Done. Latly he said we'll give you a call.
Out the inner door then the outer door.
I turned my cell back on. 2:30PM That's only 8 minutes from start to finish. I was done before my origional appointment.

Now I know they can get busy. And they don't take appointments beyond 2:30. But seriously 4 weeks just to get in the door???
I know there's the stereotype of government workers being slow, But still.

OK the first part was 8 minutes. Lets see about the second. Tick Tock Tick Tock

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Heh.
Bureaucracy surely can test one's mettle.
The waiting is definitely the hardest part - just cool your jets, hang in there, and you'll be set before you know it.

Oh, and congratulations!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
What county?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Once you get it it will all be worth it.

Carry safe and carry always.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In Virginia, it's 45 days from beginning to the end. If they have not issued or rejected within that time frame, the Circuit Court mails you a copy of your application and it becomes your temporary CC permit.

I'm not a conspiracy nutter. Really I'm not but what I just experienced got under my skin.

Just over a month ago I finished the 12 hour course.
The next Monday I called for my appointent to get printed etc.
The soonest they could get me in was 4 weeks and one day. Today.

My appointment was for 2:30 but as usual I was early but not by much. I walked up to one of the two windows and stated why I was there and I was a few minutes early. She checked the 'paper' schedual for my name and told me to wait over by the map and lady will be right out.
The map was 15 feet away and as I walked I noticed a sign that said turn off all cell phones. I'm a good boy so I did.
IT SAID 2:22PM.
I waited about 30 seconds before she came out and called my name. She ushered me back to her area behind the two windows.
She looked over my 4 papers for entries in all boxes. Then she had me sign and date the third paper. Then I was told to back up against the wall for a photo. That seemed odd since I was required to provide a photo, but what ever. She took my $67. and gave me a reciept and told me it will be from 2 days to 3 weeks and walk out the same door and turn left to be printed.
So I asked why the big difference in time delays. She said it will take longer if you have any criminal history or the prints don't come out right.
Thanks, out the door and I turn left.
I wait at the next window for 30 seconds before the gent came over.
He took my DL and photo copied it and invited me back. He then swiped my DL magnetic strip to bring up my record(s). The he asked me to keypunch my social and write my phone# on a paper.
Next was the prints.
Four fingers from the right hand and hold for 5 seconds. Done. SAme for the left. Done. Then the two thumbs on the plate. Done. Latly he said we'll give you a call.
Out the inner door then the outer door.
I turned my cell back on. 2:30PM That's only 8 minutes from start to finish. I was done before my origional appointment.

Now I know they can get busy. And they don't take appointments beyond 2:30. But seriously 4 weeks just to get in the door???
I know there's the stereotype of government workers being slow, But still.

OK the first part was 8 minutes. Lets see about the second. Tick Tock Tick Tock

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Eh.

Sounds like the government hard at work. 8 minutes of hard work = 52 minutes of shooting the breeze + smoke breaks + coffee breaks and undue stress. :angel:

·
Registered
7,241 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Hamilton.
If Hamilton is like Warren, they only do CC's once a week. And I can see why. When I went to visit the Warren County Sheriff some years back, they had the fingerprinting apparatus located in a hallway on top of some filing cabinets, and I waited a good month for my appointment. When the day came I was in and out, and my license came in the mail less than a week later.

You don't have to go to your county of residence in Ohio - adjoining counties are okay too. I figure it simplifies things for renewal by just going to your home county though - they'll keep the paperwork on file so it doesn't have to be reproduced for the renewal.

I lived in Hamilton county for about thirty years. After living in Warren county, I'll never go back. They fix the roads out here and everything. :D

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hamilton has two dedicated fingerprinting stations.
Maybe we have a higher thug to citizen ratio.

Warren county was the worst (for appointment) when I called a month ago.
Hamilton - 4 weeks delay
Butler - End of July
Warren - End of August
Clermont - Any day they had time. Expect 4 -6 weeks afterward.

·
Super Moderator
27,089 Posts
Try waiting and getting appointments to renew your "green card"
Only take 30 mins to take your money though!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
depends on the county, in Geauga county my wife and i went in on a saturday and had our licsenses on the following tuesday. same thing when we renewed a month ago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got mine in NC and it took about 6 weeks. And own by the way, it took an hour in line to get through the process. Consider yourself lucky.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
It all depends on what county you live in. How much money and time they have, and how much the Sheriff will put to it. Think about this the next time you vote for Sheriff.

Reactions: oso
1 - 17 of 17 Posts