Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He He He...getting high speed internet.... Monday :thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :yipee:....

No more dial-up...been offline for 3-4 days..internet provider said we went over our aloted time.....could not believe it :eek:...
never heard of that before..Man .... my wife was really mad...she couldn't do anything on her website... :soapbox: :bang: :guns: :shooter:. after she e-mailed them... :evil: :thumb:....

Sorry all you guys with dial-up... i just moved uptown...LOL.....

Ps... the really cool thing is we can be online at the same time, no more waiting whille she is online... ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Yes, definitely no fun being on dial-up anymore when most have DSL or Cable. LOL

·
Registered
296 Posts
Which provider?
I had comcast cable but they kicked me off for exceeding their 'fair use' clause. Haven't had any problem with verizon for over 2 years. :D

Just wish they would finish running the fiber optic line to my house. It's Just one pole away from my house. :eek:
I haven't seem the optic guy in my neighborhood for weeks. I'm currently @768kbs and hope I will go faster(costlier) like maybe at T-3 speed. :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup..now i can be online when the wife is..now i can give all you guys
grief at normal time..LOL :devil:

Which provider?
Comm Speed....

exceeding their 'fair use' clause
stephpd...what is that... :'(

we went to high speed, because our dial up company said we used all our time up...never knew that could happen :eek:...i hope this new company does not have a time limit...

HMmmmmmm....never had a problem until i got a computer and found this site....OMG.. this is all my fault.. stinkin gun forums :bang:.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fair use- Usually applies to people like me that constantly download. The newsgroups are an area of the internet that most never know about but has been around the longest. Originally for exchange of information, like this place or chat rooms. Someone found out how to break up large computer files then recombine. This made it possible to download software of all sorts..ie games, movies and programs. Impossible to download a full movie with dialup-could take a month. High speed internet changed that; @768kbs it's possible to download 3 movies a day.
Most service providers offer access to to the newsgroups. Comcast cable had a 1gig/month with giganews and for $10/month you have unlimited access. Verizon, my current provider has it's own news server.
The two providers work a little different. Comcast cable allots so much bandwith to an area like a development, the less people online the more bandwith each person gets to use.Verizon, over the phone line gives everyone a fixed amount no matter how many people are online. ;D

Now to get to 'Fair Use'. I read the clause in the contract and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Much like the EULA at the beginning of every software installation and we just click on the 'I Agree' button. But basically if you use more bandwith then the normal average user they can claim your hogging up resources. Several calls to comcast and nobody could tell me what amount of information downloaded was their limit. Got kicked off their network a few times and after calling customer service in India it would be back on for a month. I didn't care for their deceptive practices 'always on, always connected'. I was always on always connected and always downloading. When switching to verizon I asked them about 'fair use' and they seemed ignorant of what I was talking about. After explaining that their company also had a fair use clause in the contract and my concerns they told me I could download to my hearts content. They said they promised the bandwith and they never turned off service for using what I was paying for. They told me that they even had their own news server included in the package and had good retention. (newsgroups work on first in first out and they claimed 14 day retention.)So they knew what I was talking about and saw no problem. ;)
And I haven't had any with them in over 3 years. Well a few with a bad connection but they fixed it free of charge. They have even started hanging fiber optic. I can see it out my window. It just doesn't connect to my house yet. Saw the technician hooking up houses a few blocks from me but I haven't seen him for several weeks. They will be offering tv, phone and internet all on one line. Not sure I will go with the bundle.

Comcast cable not only lost me as internet provider but also for tv. I'm using DirectTv and for my birthday I got a 37" flat screen Tv ($650) and a HD tuner for it. Really notice the difference. Currently they offer 70 channels including local broadcast,(ABC, CBS and NBC) in HiDef. Will be up to 100 by christmas. Boy, they talk about having a face for radio, now it's going to apply to Tv. Actors are going to have to spend a lot more money on facials. I didn't realize how many of them have zits. :eek:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...that was one big reply..my little brain almost could not handle it :eek:...I think i understand now ;)

Several calls to comcast and nobody could tell me what amount of information downloaded was their limit

My wife e-mailed our company and got the same responce...

now i will show her this and we will check into it...thanks for the time you spent answering me ;)

Devin

·
Registered
296 Posts
Like I said it's used for people like me that constantly download.
Most people just serf and seldom download very much. Just be careful if you sign up for one of the game sights that will sell you games to download.
If my last message was to wordy sorry. The newsgroups require much more reading. Same with IRC.
Stay away from file sharing. they get you arrested. :eek:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool...Hooking up the wireless router right now...won't be long now :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :D

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am online...Watch out ;)...
Boy this is fast too...

SEE YA :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad it up and running. :D

Now, as my wife say's "get off that computer and come to bed!" :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:

·
Registered
579 Posts
What time did she cut you off of it last night?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She didn't, because she was online also...i just couldn't stay awake... :zzz:
we can both be online now.... so no worries now...

now when we had dial-up...OMG :'( :rolleyes:... :bang:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts