Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day for Monkees' fans....

I just heard a few minutes ago that Davy Jones has died at the age of 66. My family and I still get a kick out of watching that goofy Monkees' show!

Monkees singer Davy Jones dies in Florida at 66

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Davy Jones, the lead singer of the 1960s group The Monkees, died of a massive heart attack Wednesday in Florida, his spokeswoman said. He was 66.

His publicist, Helen Kensick, confirmed that he died in Indiantown, where he lived. Jones rose to fame in 1965 when he joined The Monkees, a British popular rock group formed for a U.S. television show. Jones sang lead vocals on songs like "I Wanna Be Free" and "Daydream Believer."

Jones was born Dec. 30, 1945, in Manchester, England. His long hair and British accent helped Jones achieve heartthrob status in the United States.

According to The Monkees website, Monkees.com, he left the band in late 1970. In the summer of 1971, he recorded a solo hit "Rainy Jane" and made a series of appearances on American variety and television shows, including "Love American Style" and "The Brady Bunch." Jones played himself in a widely popular Brady Bunch episode, which aired in late 1971. In the episode, Marcia Brady, president of her school's Davy Jones fan club, promised she could get him to sing at a school dance.

By the mid-1980s, Jones teamed up with former Monkee Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz and promoter David Fishof for a reunion tour. Their popularity prompted MTV to re-air The Monkees series, introducing the group to a new audience.

In 1987, Jones, Tork and Micky Dolenz recorded a new album, "Pool It." Two years later, the group received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In the late 1990s, the group filmed a special called "Hey, Hey, It's the Monkees." He is survived by his wife, Jessica.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Not only was he talented, he was a hell of a nice guy to all who met him.

66 is fairly young, but when the ticker gives out, age doesn't matter.

RIP little guy. :(

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Sad, I remember looking forward to the Monkees TV show.

Long before his success as a pop star and his appearances on USA shows, he also appeared on a very famous long running UK soap, 'Coronation Street'.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
That's too bad. For those of you that were kid's in the 1950's there was an early TV show called Circus Boy. It was about a kid who was part of a Circus. Davey Jones was circus Boy.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
That's too bad. For those of you that were kid's in the 1950's there was an early TV show called Circus Boy. It was about a kid who was part of a Circus. Davey Jones was circus Boy.
Mickey Dolenz was Circus Boy. I watched the Monkees when I was a kid. Life is short enjoy it while you can!

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
I wonder if he went to his locker......okay, sorry for the dad humor. :D

Davy, I never watched your show, but you'll be missed for sure.

·
Super Moderator
17,634 Posts
Sorry to hear of his passing, but sad to say I was never a fan. I'm more of a Rolling Stones fan, which I blame on the massive amount of marijuana I smoked in the early 70's.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Mickey Dolenz was Circus Boy. I watched the Monkees when I was a kid. Life is short enjoy it while you can!
Damn if your not right! It was Mickey. I watched the Monkees on occasion as a teenager also. I guess I'll need to go home tonight and have a beer for old Davey. I used to see him around at different places when I lived in Palm Beach Gardens, restaurants mostly. I didn't know him beyond his TV persona, but he seemed like a nice guy.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
My Wife has a lady friend in Florida that met him once, and even got a kiss and an autographed shirt sometime past.
I bet that shirt could bring a pretty penny on eBay now.

·
Super Moderator
21,453 Posts
RIP Davey, A reminder of a whole different time period. Things were much simpler then. At least to a kid it was.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I loved The Monkees! I thought they were hilarious. RIP, Davey Jones. (BTW, another David Jones had to change his stage name because of Davey. Anybody?

·
5,686 Posts
We were just talking about the monkeys at work the other day. I was asking some of the younger guys if they knew how to do the monkey walk......they had no clue! I Loved the monkeys, but I think I saw them in re-runs, not sure. RIP

·
Administrator
39,504 Posts
We were just talking about the monkeys at work the other day. I was asking some of the younger guys if they knew how to do the monkey walk......they had no clue! I Loved the monkeys, but I think I saw them in re-runs, not sure. RIP
Monkey walk? I grew up in that era, and watched the show on occasion. But the monkey walk, I don't remember. Maybe you could make us a video, MissKitty, as a reminder! :D

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I loved The Monkees! I thought they were hilarious. RIP, Davey Jones. (BTW, another David Jones had to change his stage name because of Davey. Anybody?
That was David Bowie, who also fought at the Alamo........oops! wrong Bowie.

Reactions: Keith4001r

·
5,686 Posts
At 15 seconds in they do a group walk, it's called the monkey walk, we used to do that all the time with three or four of us together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts