·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Seeking some opinions, just what is it about Colt revolvers that many folks hanker for? I get that the old style Colts had a superior fit and finish, trigger may be superior, but the actual handling, empties out, particularly, always seemed to favor the S&W brand, IMHO. Tell this rube what is so awesome about a Colt revolver?

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
Kinda reminds me of my Taurus Model 66

Reactions: loudviking

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeking some opinions, just what is it about Colt revolvers that many folks hanker for? I get that the old style Colts had a superior fit and finish, trigger may be superior, but the actual handling, empties out, particularly, always seemed to favor the S&W brand, IMHO. Tell this rube what is so awesome about a Colt revolver?
Mostly the workmanship. Properly tuned by an expert they have the finest double action trigger possible....bar none. But those experts are all either long retired or dead. Now the new ones I'm not sure about but the old ones with the V shaped leaf mainspring had great triggers out of the box and tuned were just amazing. Also due to the design, where the hand puts a tiny bit of pressure on the ratchet just a .003" before the sear trips, the lockup is perfect.

But all that precision comes at a cost. Colt's are sometimes criticized as being "weaker". They aren't. But they do require much more frequent maintenance....assuming you're shooting them. If I recall the standard maintenance interval for a S&W is something around 30,000 rounds. A Colt is like 10,000 (varies by model somewhat). In my experience with both I'd say that's about right.

If I were to make an analogy to women....S&W is the girl next door that you marry. Colts are that high maintenance girlfriend you dumped....fantastic but maybe not all that practical on a day-to-day basis. S&W's are 80% of the way there and only 20% of the aggravation. But you never quite forget that girlfriend....do you?

·
22,301 Posts
Hard to improve on glenwolde's excellent post, so I'll add this. And probably keep blathering on, because dang it, even I have silly traditions.

I've owned a few guitars over the years. Even with my very limited skill, some oozed quality and crafstmanship to such a degree that it was apparent just by picking it up and handling it a bit. You didn't even have to play a single note. That's how classic Colt revolvers feel. They are a great, historic American company, manufactured using individual skills obtained by working at the feet of a mentor for years. In fact, I bet you could make the case that there was an unbroken line of mentorship and learning that started from the earliest days of the company, when Samuel Colt hisdarnself walked the shop floors, to the revolvers of the 80s and 90s. Josiah mentored Edgar who mentored Elijah who mentored Frank and so on and so on. When you pick up a classic Colt revolver and so much as work the pawn's head cylinder release, you feel that accumulation of knowledge and learning and experience. It's America in wood and hand-polished steel, it's innovation and liberty and one man's good idea changing not just our country, but the world.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts

·
Administrator
17,816 Posts
Hard to improve on glenwolde's excellent post, so I'll add this. And probably keep blathering on, because dang it, even I have silly traditions.

I've owned a few guitars over the years. Even with my very limited skill, some oozed quality and crafstmanship to such a degree that it was apparent just by picking it up and handling it a bit. You didn't even have to play a single note. That's how classic Colt revolvers feel. They are a great, historic American company, manufactured using individual skills obtained by working at the feet of a mentor for years.
So true! As a Guitarist, I liked the Guitar analogy! :cool: :smile:

Being the owner of two Mk V Framed Colt .357 Magnums, a Trooper and King Cobra, I can attest to their fit and finish being excellent! The thick forged top strap of the Mk V frame will take more punishment of heavy, but normal pressured, loads that the .357 Magnum can dish out. The barrels are very very well made, delivering excellent accuracy. So much so, years ago, one custom Gunsmith was fitting Colt Python Barrels to S&W frames, creating a "Smython".

The Mark V frame Trigger linkage is very different from the Models preceding it, having a Coil Spring Mainspring, and I think that Taurus might have copied that for it's Revolvers.
Trigger Pulls are very smooth in Double Action and very crisp in Single Action.
What's not to like?

Ruger Speed Six .38 Spl
Colt MkV Trooper .357 Mag
Colt MkV King Cobra .357 Mag

And before you ask, none of mine are for sale, anytime soon!

Nice to see Colt getting back into the Revolver Business! Hope the new King Cobra's can live up to their legacy! Could a new Anaconda be down the Road?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts