Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have two Rossi 720 revolvers that I'm really loving. The only real difference is that one sports a fluted cylinder, the other is non-fluted. This afternoon I discovered another difference - albeit a small one. The fluted model has "M720" on the barrel near the ".44 S&W Special" text. Try as I might, I cannot find the model number anywhere on the other gun. I think I've examined it pretty closely, but just can't find the elusive model number. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Amistad

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Have you checked on the frame where you open the cylinder crane or the crane itself? I seem to recall hearing some Manufacturers also stamp them under the grip panels?

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Typically, when you swing the cylinder out, it is printed on the inside wall of the hinge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies gents. I've pulled the grips off and looked carefully in that area. No model number to be found. As was mentioned, when the cylinder swings out, there is a number there on the hinge, but it is 4807. (In contrast, my other 720 has 9705 in that same space.) Nothing under the crane latch... nothing under the top strap... So the mystery remains. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm sure glad that this beauty is mine!

Amistad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After having a gun-nut buddy to examine this 720 of mine from top to bottom, side to side, and end to end, I am convinced that there is no model designation anywhere on the gun. Why that is the case, I don't know. But I am sure glad to be owning this little sweet-shooting wheelie! I'm lovin' it! Amistad

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Might have just never been stamped on there. I have seen starnger things.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Happens sometimes. I have seen a variety of stampings on firearms from different companies. I always wondered why too, but perhaps it is simply the result of who assembles it. For instancde, my 405 only has .40 stamped on the barrel while every one that I have seen in photos had .40 S&W -- go figure.

By the way, are you trying to make us all feel bad by telling us that you have two Rossi 720s? :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, are you trying to make us all feel bad by telling us that you have two Rossi 720s? :p
No sir, that's not my motive at all. Actually, I fell in love with the first one at first sight. After I had purchased it, had it in hand (and had fired it), I happened onto the other one. Just had to have it, and am very pleased to have these two wheelies. I'm more of a fan of stainless guns than blued, but if I ran across a blued 720 at an attractive price. my duet may become a trio!

Amistad

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
No sir, that's not my motive at all. Actually, I fell in love with the first one at first sight. After I had purchased it, had it in hand (and had fired it), I happened onto the other one. Just had to have it, and am very pleased to have these two wheelies. I'm more of a fan of stainless guns than blued, but if I ran across a blued 720 at an attractive price. my duet may become a trio!

Amistad
I didn't know that they made a blued one, but if they did, I would like it because I like bluing better than stainless, and Rossi's bluing is pretty nice looking. In any case, congrats on your pair of 720s. I hope to have one once again too (I know, why did I sell it).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I too have a Rossi 720 with the unfluted cylinder, which is what caught my attention. I'll have to look at mine and see if it has a model number on it. I haven't had it out of the safe in the last 5-6 months, but I don't think there's a number on it. BTW, I purchased this gun new back in the 90's and it has the smoothest, lightest trigger of any of my guns except for a re-worked S&W 686. Shoots very well too, when I get a chance to take her out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RevolverFan, there may not be any blued 720s at all. I was just saying...

Varangian, I'd be interested in you looking to see if yours has a model number on it... Thanks!

Amistad

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just checked my Rossi and the model M720 is on the frame where the crane closes. If you are looking at the cylinder as it opens toward you, the model # is under the cut out for the ejector rod. There is a B### number of the crane itself that doesn't match the serial number so I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked my Rossi and the model M720 is on the frame where the crane closes. If you are looking at the cylinder as it opens toward you, the model # is under the cut out for the ejector rod. There is a B### number of the crane itself that doesn't match the serial number so I'm not sure what it is.
Thanks for looking, but the mystery remains. For whatever oddball reason, there is no such marking on this gun of mine...

Amistad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts