Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've gone and done it.

I took a ride to my local gun shop today to check out the 24/7 .45 again. Hey, $400. may be inexpensive for a gun, but for me it's like buying a $1000. pistol. Anyway, While looking, feeling, grasping and inspecting the 27/7 ($409. but could probably get it for a wee bit less). I came across a pair of Springfield XDs in .9mm ($479.) and the .45 ($545.?) compact with the 2 different mags. I asked to see them, being that I'm not to fond of the Glock feel, I was skeptical. Well, after a few seconds I did not want to put either gun down. They both had a really good feel and build quality to them. The trigger safety was interesting but I really liked the grip safety (like on a 1911). To me the XD9 was extremely comfortable and as a caliber, I love the 9mm. The XD compact in .45 was just Bad-ass!

I only wish I was able to fire them to see what recoil is like. I know that I really didn't like the recoil on the Glock. Would anyone be able to tell me if the XD is more like a Glock or Taurus in recoil? Can any make a good argument on behalf of the 24/7?

To be honest, this potential purchase is not based on need. It is a total embellishment. I want a cool tactical gun that I can put a rail light on. I know that it can be done on my PT145, but I want it on a 4" barrel and the PT145 is one of my CCW. So a light is not needed, nor would it make sense in a holster. Furthermore to me, there is no such thing as too many guns ;D

Mike

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
schlemer said:
To be honest, this potential purchase is not based on need. It is a total embellishment.
Mike
I passed "need" a long time ago. LOL! "Need" is something you justify the gun to the wife with and she kinda got tired of it a while back. Just how much could I "need" another gun with 21 handguns and 19 long guns? ROFL!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45. The recoil is very manageable. It eats whatever I put into it too. The problem is it's more expensive to feed. All things equal, the XD9 is more expensive but you'll make that up after purchasing several boxes of ammo.

If ammo isn't an issue.... I'd say it's a toss up.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Simple answer, get into handloading. I load .45 for about the same as I can load 9mm, under 2 dollars a box. I use bullets I cast of free range scrap and they're accurate and reliable. If I didn't handload, I couldn't afford to feed the .45 or my .45 Colt. Even have to attenuate my 9mm and .38/.357 shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Everyone seems to really like the XD's. Thought about getting one first of the year. Maybe a 9mm compact or sub compact. Got a Glock 19 and Mil Pro 111. Is the recoil similar in the XD 9mm?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've fired a XD40 on two occasions. In my opinion the recoil is a little snappy, but maybe I was just limp wristing it. I must say though, the more I fire it, the more I like it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
heh :)

Look at the warranty man and also consider the other features built into the gun. The features and warranty are ultimately what sold me on the Taurus.

Does the other gun offer the built in trigger lock, thumb safety, and does it drop the pin on the primer every time you pull the trigger or do you have to rack again for a misfire?

That's what sold me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own the XD 9mm subcompact and I love it. I haven't shot a 24/7, so I can't compare it. I've shot many XDs, I can say that the XD is a well made gun. Great safety features and has a lifetime warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts