Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of photos of my .357 Taurus, I picked it up today. My confusion comes in that the guy who sold it to me couldn't tell me whether it is a model 66 or 669. I'm curious because of the size and length of the hammer. I cannot find one single photo of a Taurus that has a hammer like mine. Anyone any ideas?? Oh and Taurus can't find any details regarding the serial number..!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,549 Posts
Throughout the history of their manufacture they would change out the parts used, which has created many issues in getting repairs done on their guns. You have found a very nice looking revolver!

·
21,958 Posts
Is the model number stamped inside the crane?

And I have to agree; that is one handsome revolver!

·
17,581 Posts
Well ya got me. I've never seen a hammer like that either....but I like it. It's either a one-off batch that was something Taurus was trying out or a modification...which is hard to believe somebody would go to that much trouble on a Taurus (no offense). You'd have to cut-and-weld and then try to match the finish. Looks like the finish matches the trigger perfectly which tells you it's factory.

It's a lot like what I would come up with if I was designing a "target hammer" How wide is the spur on that thing? I find it very interesting. Very, very interesting. If it's really driving you nuts I could take it off your hands....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a couple of photos of my .357 Taurus, I picked it up today. My confusion comes in that the guy who sold it to me couldn't tell me whether it is a model 66 or 669. I'm curious because of the size and length of the hammer. I cannot find one single photo of a Taurus that has a hammer like mine. Anyone any ideas?? Oh and Taurus can't find any details regarding the serial number..!!
Just saw one almost identical over on another thread that was a M86 target. Has the same hammer. I believe it was in the revolver thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The flat part of the hammer is only about 7mm wide by 14mm in length. I do quite like it, it's very positive to thumb and pull back with plenty of grip on it. As the revolver will only be used for competition it seems to be a win-win deal.. But I'm still no nearer finding out it's 'lineage'.. is it a 66 or a 669..??

Not that it matters as I'll be refurbishing the grips, but I think the guy who owned it was left handed... notice the marks on the bottom left side of the butt.. probably caused by a wedding ring..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts