Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I may have damaged a ligament in my left knee :( to where yesterday I couldn't lift my left foot high enough to put it on the clutch pedal of the Kenworth I drive at work, which is, as you might imagine, kind of essential for the safe operation thereof. The doctor has told me to not go to work until the X-rays are examined and the the MRI scheduled, so I'll be using some of that accumulated sick leave I never need. So, what to do until next Monday (at the earliest). A new Ruger SR22 that hasn't been fired yet and a total of 600 rounds of .22 long rifle cartridges. The indoor range, seven miles away, at $17.00 a pop, or the outdoor range, 12 miles away, at $6.00 per visit? The forecast calls for clear and sunny with temps in the mid 70s to low 80s. Hmm, decisions, decisions. This might require another cup of coffee. Oh, well, might as well make the best of the situation.

By the way, I've had a brick of .22 LR for longer than I thought; the price sticker on it is $1.39.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It looks like I may have damaged a ligament in my left knee :( to where yesterday I couldn't lift my left foot high enough to put it on the clutch pedal of the Kenworth I drive at work, which is, as you might imagine, kind of essential for the safe operation thereof. The doctor has told me to not go to work until the X-rays are examined and the the MRI scheduled, so I'll be using some of that accumulated sick leave I never need. So, what to do until next Monday (at the earliest). A new Ruger SR22 that hasn't been fired yet and a total of 600 rounds of .22 long rifle cartridges. The indoor range, seven miles away, at $17.00 a pop, or the outdoor range, 12 miles away, at $6.00 per visit? The forecast calls for clear and sunny with temps in the mid 70s to low 80s. Hmm, decisions, decisions. This might require another cup of coffee. Oh, well, might as well make the best of the situation.

By the way, I've had a brick of .22 LR for longer than I thought; the price sticker on it is $1.39.
I would say go outdoors but take a friend to run the target downrange for you . And to repay him promise him you wont shoot em or let em shoot some rounds them self .

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I would say go outdoors but take a friend to run the target downrange for you . And to repay him promise him you wont shoot em or let em shoot some rounds them self .
LOL! " Hey put this target up and I promise I won't shoot you." That's enough motivation for me! Where do you want the target sir?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
LOL! " Hey put this target up and I promise I won't shoot you." That's enough motivation for me! Where do you want the target sir?
I don't know... I think I'll just go set in the truck untill you run out of shells....:D

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Super Moderator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just talked to my oldest son...he has Friday off, and just bought a new .45 (no details yet) he's anxious to shoot, so we're going to the outdoor range. Let's see, .22 caliber vs .45 caliber. I think I shall take to heart that quote about an armed society being a polite society, and set up my own targets.:dry: Y'all have some great ideas, though!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have fun while you can my friend .
Well said. Since I retired from the police biz, it seems like I don't have time to do anything other than work around the house, mow (especially this time of year) and work at my "retirement" job. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed at the department, cause I really miss all the time off.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I say go both places do as much shoot'n as Ya got ammo then hit White Castle as your reward.

Just my
$.02

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Well said. Since I retired from the police biz, it seems like I don't have time to do anything other than work around the house, mow (especially this time of year) and work at my "retirement" job. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed at the department, cause I really miss all the time off.
Agreed, since I retired, I really miss having time off! I have an interview Monday for a retirement job!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The main thing about being off work sick or injured most companies don't like to see a person doing very much physical activity

Yeah, retirement is not all it is cracked up to be. The 1st year I decided I would work at the local Wild Rice processing plant after all it was only for 8 weeks! Well it ended up being 10 weeks, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week in the heat of summer with ten cookers going 27/7. The wife said NO MORE OF THAT you have work around here to keep you busy!

Then I worked Oct. & Nov for 3 or 4 years making wreathes which wasn't too bad working only 6 or 8 hours a day. Then I had a heart attack and the wife said NO MORE!

So I am limited to mowing the yard and running the string trimmer a couple three days a week. running the chain saw clearing brush and blow downs. Free time is chasing fish around the lake and tending the garden and shooting during the summer. The winter sees me plowing snow with the ATV and a blade, and cleaning up with the snow blower.

The last year and a half I have had so much trouble with my back and hips I have been getting regular epidurals every three or four months for my back and steriod injections in my hips. Two weeks ago right after the injection in my hip I looked out and there were cattle walking across the yard and down to the lake. I called the neighbor who I figured owned them and went out to unhook the trailer from the 4-wheeler when he came in the drive on his 4-wheeler and we proceeded to herd them home. I didn't want to stress my hip so I was riding side-saddle and when they decided to head into the neighbors woods I went down into the ditch and across his field to cut them off. I knew he had a "wet area" in there but didn't realize just how wet it was and got stuck until I remembered to shift it into 4-wheel drive. Luckily I didn't have to get off and walk out!

Looking back working seems like a vacation compared to retirement with two acres of yard, 27 acres of timber and a house to keep up!! :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you really have to ask? Range day! And take some pictures this time. Then maybe a hunting trip? :guns:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts