Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to order from Taurus an OEM recoil spring assembly replacement (RSA) for my G2C. In searching the Taurus store the only part they offer for sale is the Lakeline stainless steel variety. I have sent two email messages to Taurus CS inquiring if they have available an OEM version for sale but, so far, no response. Is the OEM version of this part available anywhere or am I stuck with the Lakeline version only as a replacement for my original RSA? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts
I wouldn't exactly consider you "stuck" with the Lakeline assembly. Considering that it's quality and performance is ahead of the OEM part, you can easily obtain replacement springs, and delivery is probably measured in hours after you order versus possibly months with Taurus, please enlighten us as to why you think it's inferior.

I replaced my OEM RSA with Lakeline's shortly after since it's got the SS "button" which compliments my SS slide, however I am retaining my OEM part as a backup. If I ever have to return the gun to Taurus or decide to sell it, the OEM spring will go back in since I don't want to lose the Lakeline unit.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No where in my inquiry did I use the word "inferior" to describe the Lakeline part and the term "stuck" means just that: I can't obtain the OEM version in which I am seeking, not the Lakeline version.

My preference for gun parts for use in any of my firearms is OEM--whether it be a Taurus, Glock, etc. Maybe that's because I trust the folks who built the gun for replacement parts more so than aftermarket vendors. But my question to you is why do you think the Lakeline is superior to the OEM version besides aesthetics (BTW: my G2C finish is not of the stainless steel type so the Lakeline RSA would not match the finish of my G2C, another benefit to me seeking an OEM replacement instead)?.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts
"Stuck" to me means as a last resort, and last resorts are usually inferior as there are not other choices. What ever...

The OEM RSA uses a plastic center rod if I'm not mistaken. From reading many member's feelings about synthetic parts in their firearms over the years, like CZ, Ruger, Taurus, etc. they mostly seek to replace these components with steel, alloy or forged parts shortly after acquiring a gun.

I urge you to contact Taurus via phone or chat and order a replacement RSA for your gun. While they have had a period where they wouldn't ship any parts, notably after the Millennium lawsuit, they have begun sending out replacement parts formerly banned. I would bet that they will sell you one. The price and delivery may be of interest to all of us, so please share your feedback on your inquiry.

BTW, pretty sure that Lakeline has an RSA with a black button on the front to match to your slide.

If you get to the 25 post level, the Classified forum opens here and you can post your "WTB" inquiry by starting a thread.

Let us know if you find one.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

·
Vendor
823 Posts
I have had success with customer service for replacement OEM parts. I use the chat window to contact them since I don't have to wait on hold on the phone. Last time, a few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised as a service rep came on the chat in less than a minute.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I agree with Czechbikr. The stainless steel spring from Lakeline is superior to Taurus' OEM spring.
The OEM spring on one of my G2's failed on me (see photo).

The spring on the left is proper and operable. The spring on the right had a failure of the sleeve lip that holds the larger outside spring down, causing the large spring to expand full length. When this first happened, the failure wasn't obvious. The spring looked ok, but wouldn't cycle the rack properly. It wasn't until I compared my spring with a friend's G2 recoil spring that I saw the problem.

Keeping everything OEM is ok, but making a change that is a definite upgrade is better IMO.
People that restore antique Model-T and Model-A Fords usually try to get them back to original stock condition.
But even those people will replace the old mechanical brakes with hydraulic brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Stuck" to me means as a last resort, and last resorts are usually inferior as there are not other choices. What ever...

The OEM RSA uses a plastic center rod if I'm not mistaken. From reading many member's feelings about synthetic parts in their firearms over the years, like CZ, Ruger, Taurus, etc. they mostly seek to replace these components with steel, alloy or forged parts shortly after acquiring a gun.

I urge you to contact Taurus via phone or chat and order a replacement RSA for your gun. While they have had a period where they wouldn't ship any parts, notably after the Millennium lawsuit, they have begun sending out replacement parts formerly banned. I would bet that they will sell you one. The price and delivery may be of interest to all of us, so please share your feedback on your inquiry.

BTW, pretty sure that Lakeline has an RSA with a black button on the front to match to your slide.

If you get to the 25 post level, the Classified forum opens here and you can post your "WTB" inquiry by starting a thread.

Let us know if you find one.

Thank you for the information. I will reach out to Taurus (again) and see if I can order a replacement RSA. If so, I will provide an update.

Not sure what "25 post level" means as I am new to this forum. Sounds interesting. though.

Have a good evening.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts
Thank you for the information. I will reach out to Taurus (again) and see if I can order a replacement RSA. If so, I will provide an update.

Not sure what "25 post level" means as I am new to this forum. Sounds interesting. though.

Have a good evening.
Thanks, you also. 25 posts and the Classifieds are available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the response and pics. I have heard that Taurus at one point did have spring issues with their RSAs on the G2C, like the one you show here, but I have also heard they have since corrected the issue. If I can't get an OEM replacement, I would consider the Lakeline version.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts
Thank you for the response. I actually had previously found the same ebay post, but I won't buy a used part for my firearms for obvious reasons. Thanks anyway.
Especially on a wear item like a spring/s. The only way I would take a chance on one like that would be if nothing else was available.

Reactions: mjmackmsp

·
Registered
66 Posts
I replaced my previously owned G2c plastic RSA with a Lakeline SSTL assembly. Its much much better. The quality and construction of the product over the OEM is like night and day. I took the gun to the range and it performs flawlessly with the new RSA. The SSTL will also wear better than the OEM with the plastic rod in the center. JMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just want to put my RSA back together. The end that screws into the guide rod unscrewed itself after some 15,000 rounds. I am finding it very difficult to get those springs in place. Does anyone have advice on how it can be done?

·
Vendor
823 Posts
I just want to put my RSA back together. The end that screws into the guide rod unscrewed itself after some 15,000 rounds. I am finding it very difficult to get those springs in place. Does anyone have advice on how it can be done?
Most of the aftermarket ones, the screw goes in the muzzle end. So, you can just put the guide rod in the pistol, lock it back, and then screw the screw in with some loctite on it.

The factory ones are a little harder since the screw goes in the other end. I have held the springs down by hand, gotten the screw started with the other hand. Then, I carefully held the ends with padded pliers and screwed it back together. It's a little tricky and it isn't hard to have bits go flying.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts
Most of the aftermarket ones, the screw goes in the muzzle end. So, you can just put the guide rod in the pistol, lock it back, and then screw the screw in with some loctite on it.

The factory ones are a little harder since the screw goes in the other end. I have held the springs down by hand, gotten the screw started with the other hand. Then, I carefully held the ends with padded pliers and screwed it back together. It's a little tricky and it isn't hard to have bits go flying.
It sounds like a must to wear safety glasses. Thanks Al for your expertise!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts