Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we use the phrase reloading a bit too loosely when describing the manufacturing of cartridges for our shooting enjoyment.
Yes, if you are using previously fired cases and loading them again, it would technically be reloading. But what about new brass and new projectiles?
If I buy 500 brand new starline brass cases for say 300 AAC and I buy 125gr projectiles from a vendor, am I actually re-loading ?
What say you fine folks of TA.net?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm not sure what the question is asking. Yes if you buy all the components, it's handloading. If it's a competition, then it's gonna limit a bunch of us since very few make their own brass. Another way to look at it is the "AR builder". They buy all the parts and assemble and they built an AR, didn't they?
I've built aircraft, but I didn't make the parts. None the less every time I see a B-2 flying I'm damned proud.

·
Registered
14,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what the question is asking. Yes if you buy all the components, it's handloading. If it's a competition, then it's gonna limit a bunch of us since very few make their own brass. Another way to look at it is the "AR builder". They buy all the parts and assemble and they built an AR, didn't they?
I've built aircraft, but I didn't make the parts. None the less every time I see a B-2 flying I'm damned proud.
What I'm asking is if you are creating a cartridge out of all new components, is it REloading?

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
No matter if I am using used casings or new, I am making things that go 'Boom'.
Technically I think, if it is new casings I am 'hand loading'.
If it's used casings I am reloading.
Not something I really worry about though.
More concerned about powder weight, COAL and where did that primer go to that I just dropped on the floor.

·
8,553 Posts
No matter if I am using used casings or new, I am making things that go 'Boom'.
Technically I think, if it is new casings I am 'hand loading'.
If it's used casings I am reloading.
Not something I really worry about though.
More concerned about powder weight, COAL and where did that primer go to that I just dropped on the floor.
Ah yes the mysterious jumping primers. What frustrates me is, when I have one jump out of the primer arm - I will look for a long time and it just disappeared. Go back the next night and it is in plain site right where it should have gone. So are they cockroaches or primers. :p

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
I guess its a potato--potatoe thing?
myself I have always considered re-loading speaking to the use of using a brass case again, so to me then if using once fired (or more ) brass then you are re-loading--if using new brass then you would be loading or manufacturing a bullet.
and i guess if you used an old recovered picked up off the floor or out of a brem projectile that could be considered re-loading??--LOL--I understand that some of you guys are quite frugal.

Reactions: BBGun and darbo

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
Well, you can reload your gun by dumping spent brass for fresh ammo, ya know. You can reload by dumping the proper measure of black powder and stuffing a patched ball over it, then a cap on the nipple.

But, does anyone really care? :D

Reactions: Yissnakk and BBGun

·
Registered
24,616 Posts
I always thought that reloading was putting a new magazine full of ammo in your gun.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I think we use the phrase reloading a bit too loosely when describing the manufacturing of cartridges for our shooting enjoyment.
Yes, if you are using previously fired cases and loading them again, it would technically be reloading. But what about new brass and new projectiles?
If I buy 500 brand new starline brass cases for say 300 AAC and I buy 125gr projectiles from a vendor, am I actually re-loading ?

I'll take a shot at answering this question like this:

"I'd say you are just tryin' to see how many ways a hair can be split by the fine folks of TA.net"

(Did I guess right? Did I win, huh? What's the prize this time?????)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It ain't reloading or hand loading, its pew pew enabling syndrome. True story.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
I'd say "reloading" is very specific about using a previously fired case. "Hand loading" could be either but is generally used to describe loading with unfired cases. But I've seen it used as a "global" label. The use of the word "Handloader" for the magazine of the same name is a good example.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
in my vernacular:

Reloading = dropping a magazine that has been depleted of ammunition and inserting a full magazine into my weapon

Hand-loading = assembling ammunition by either reusing spent brass casings or new casings, priming them, filling them to the proper charge of powder, and seating a bullet to the proper depth in preparation for being loaded into a magazine for the afore mentioned reloading procedure

Most people say "Build" when referring to assembling a weapon from component parts (such as "AR build") as few have the ability to fabricate all of the components to accomplish the task from base resources. "AR Assembly" just doesn't have the same ring to it - plus, when you stick a bunch of lego's together to form a model of something, you don't typically say "I assembled a lego bi-plane" (do you?).

But as others have said, nay saying these commonly used phrases as being incorrect, there very well may be some intense hair splitting going on :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
We must all strive to be Politically Correct these days.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Ah yes the mysterious jumping primers. What frustrates me is, when I have one jump out of the primer arm - I will look for a long time and it just disappeared. Go back the next night and it is in plain site right where it should have gone. So are they cockroaches or primers. :p
That thing about the lost primer . . ..

Early on, I started reloading, in the kitchen, with a Lee Loader - you know, one at a time, with a malllet.

And I did lose a primer one evening, but Mrs. Flash was knd enough to find it for me when she went (barefoot) to get the baby's midnight bottle.

It is no coincidence that further reloading was done in the basement.

Reactions: tobywan45

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I think people get to hung up on specific terms. If I say I bought new brass for relaoding everyone pretty much knows what I mean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts