Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this thing with a timing problem, got it dirt cheap. The problem didn't bother function, not that far off, but it is off. I pulled the sideplate and found a kink in the cylinder pawl spring (fits in the sideplate and pushes a plunger) and trimmed the bad spot, put it back together and it was perfect! So, I thought I'd fixed it, but after shooting 50 rounds of +P 38 yesterday, I brought the gun home and noticed the timing issue again! ??? So, I cleaned the gun and shot a gob of WD 40 down the works with the hammer back and the timing issue goes away! ??? ??? ??? Friggin' weird, hmmmm. Now, I'm thinkin' maybe the plunger that presses against the pawl wasn't lubed enough. I noticed when I re-assembled it, it seemed a little gritty in function. Donno, but so long as lube fixed it, I guess I'm in high cotton. Just weird.....

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, never mind. Upon further investigation, I think I figured ot what's going on. I lubed and lubed and once cylinder would just NOT time right, same one that it had the problem on before. So, I decided to pull the side plate again. I pulled the grips off and started to remove screws and noticed the forward screw, the one that bares upon the cylinder crane, was loose. Well, I tightened it to see if that'd help, taking the slack out of the crane so it coudn't move forward, and that fixed it. The cylinder was able to move just a tad forward and cause the pawl to not be able to move the cylinder to the stop on once chamber.

When I fixed it before, I noticed someone had mixed up the screws in the sideplate and the one that goes in the forward hole (has an extention to bare against the crane pivot) was out of place. That is apparently what fixed it the first time, not trimming that spring as I'd thought. ::) Anyway, I have a better knowledge of what's going on mechanically with the gun now, which is never a bad thing, and it's had about a gallon of lube shot down the works, so I guess it's good and lubed.... ::)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts