Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been using up what we have in the house and have only been to the store twice in the past five weeks. Last night I decided we should make a trip to our local Costco. Why you ask? My SIL told my wife yesterday she went to her local Lowe's and there was a line of a hundred people waiting to get in. My spider senses tell me there are shortages coming although I hope I am wrong.

This morning we arrived at Costco at 7:50 for senior shopping hour and the doors were already open with roughly 100 cars in the parking lot. Gas was $1.89 no lines for gas and no waiting. The gas attendant wiped down each pump between customers. We filled up first and then headed to the main entrance.

They had designated a side door for entry. Two young employees with masks handed us a cart after they wiped off the cart handle for us.

Plenty of paper products although almost every shopper had TP and Paper Towels in their cart. They were furiously restocking paper products even while we were there but no shortages.

No canned vegetables at all.

We were lucky enough to get the last bag of flour.

Plenty of cheese of all types and plenty of packaged meats.

Beef, chicken, and pork items were limited to one each. This is what I was expecting and was the main reason for our trip.

Salmon was plentiful for now.

90 % + of people were wearing masks and gloves as were some of the employees. A few twenty-somethings were prowling the store doing their best to look and act 60+ to comply with the early shopping guidelines.

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Several blogs that I respect are cautiously saying that things might not return to normal for a while, and that more supply shortages are coming down the pike. I don't want to turn this into a survivalist discussion, but prudence and forward thinking might be in order.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Everytime you need to stop at a store, Pick up dried goods and staples. you might not need them now or you may never need them, but someone you know will eventually need them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
'Senior shopping hour'? Where's the 'Hard working man, barely getting by, trying to support his family Shopping Hour'?

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
'Senior shopping hour'? Where's the 'Hard working man, barely getting by, trying to support his family Shopping Hour'?
That starts right after the "senior shopping hour" ends, and runs all the way to closing time. It goes much longer than just that one hour for us old folk.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That shopping hour runs all day.
Oh, really? I don't see any signs on the door saying that.

I bet if it was the other way around and they posted 'No one over 55 allowed in, from 8-9 am', seniors would be howling worse than a stuck coyote. Seems to be okay to 'age discriminate' against the younger crowd, though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh, really? I don't see any signs on the door saying that.

I bet if it was the other way around and they posted 'No one over 55 allowed in, from 8-9 am', seniors would be howling worse than a stuck coyote. Seems to be okay to 'age discriminate' against the younger crowd, though.
I guess you figure those couple seats on the bus that say "Senior or Disabled Only" are discriminatory, huh? I sense an old lady handbag is coming for you...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I guess you figure those couple seats on the bus that say "Senior or Disabled Only" are discriminatory, huh? I sense an old lady handbag is coming for you...
Why are you so opposed to equal shopping times for other groups? You got yours, now no one else can?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why are you so opposed to equal shopping times for other groups? You got yours, now no one else can?
Weak argument.

So, you went to costco and old or disabled people were allowed to shop ahead of you, and you don't like it, so you argue about how unfair it is. You're a hard working man, which easily means you are able-bodied. Everyone has to go out shopping, but the old and disabled need a little extra time, or a little consideration. You're clearly opposed to giving a little extra consideration to the old and disabled. When you get to an old age, or become disabled, perhaps the world will be more like you'd like it, and then you'll have to fight through crowds to buy the basic necessities.

As it happens I am not in the old or disabled category, at least not yet, so I don't qualify for the senior hour at costco, so no, I don't "got mine and no one else can".

If you're all about so-called "equal shopping times", you can go shop somewhere else that doesn't have an emergency policy giving seniors a little extra time. Costco is a business - they set their own policies, in line with freedom.

Why are you so opposed to freedom?

See what I did there? Very easy to make sweeping generalizations just like you did. But more to the point, and back on topic. No one is forcing you to shop at Costco. Oh yeah, you can read Costco's current policy here:

https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html

Special Operating Hours for Members Ages 60 or Older

Until further notice, Costco warehouses will open from 8 to 9 a.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for members ages 60 and older, and for people with disabilities. The pharmacy will be open, but the Costco Food Court will be closed during these hours. Find a Costco warehouse near you. https://www.costco.com/warehouse-locations

Only members who meet this criteria will be able to shop during these hours. Guests will not be admitted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How utterly laughable.

The only 'weak argument' here was your attempt to deflect the topic towards 'bus seats'...and your sudden view that all seniors are now instantly 'old and disabled'. If, as you say, they are such a high-risk group for the virus, they would be better off staying home and getting their things delivered to them free, as most places are now offering.

I'm not 'opposed to freedom', just the opposite. You approve of this age discrimination and you're just not a proponent of equality for all, easy to see. Good to be 'special', as long as it applies just to you, isn't it?

"Special Operating Hours for Members Ages 60 or Under", will also keep seniors safer.

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
3. No rude or abusive language in response to posts by others. Flaming and baiting are not allowed. We are all adults and as such we expect a civil discourse, without exception. It is possible to disagree without being rude or sarcastic.

Thread closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.