Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,263 Posts
Might be some slightly used vintage S&W for sale on the auction sites.

·
Registered
32,163 Posts
Might be some slightly used vintage S&W for sale on the auction sites.
Hopefully, NYPD will allow the officers who carried them to buy them at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I didn't even realize that any major cities were still carrying revolvers at all. I'm thinking it's a small percentage of officers though.
Agreed as a primary weapon perspective, but as a backup I could see it. I would rather the officers be able to choose their backup. It is their lives on the line, I would rather they use something they were confident in. Be it revolver or semi...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Sad day in some ways, par for the course in many ways.
Many police officers in major cities have not carried a revolver in over 25 years. There are some officers on the force who do not know how to properly clear a revolver after a shooting, nor understand why there are no expended cases from a revolver. It is the 'veteran officer' who has to show these young officers how to deal with a revolver.
One of my LEO friends, who recently went through a refresher course, was shown a revolver during training. One 'smart ***' newbie, when asked about where you would see a revolver, said, "in a museum". Little did smart *** know that the trainer caught that remark, and rode that person harder than a rented mule carrying Rosie O'Donnell down the Grand Canyon trail. My friend not only passed the training test, but was the only one to get a 100% score on the revolver.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Sad day, indeed. I was born in '71, so, all the police shows I watched usually had the good guys carrying .38s. Made me want one when I finally grew up. Now, I happily carry a Taurus .38 snubby.
'71!?? Whippersnapper! I remember watching Edward G. Robinson on TV in black & white with (most likely) a S&W J-frame .38 saying "Look, Copper!! I'm gonna' fill ya' fulla' lead, see!!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
'71!?? Whippersnapper! I remember watching Edward G. Robinson on TV in black & white with (most likely) a S&W J-frame .38 saying "Look, Copper!! I'm gonna' fill ya' fulla' lead, see!!"
Mr. Robinson was a great actor in those movies. Wielded those .38s with gusto!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Nothing wrong with a G43 or even a Springfield Armory XD(S) as a bug.

·
22,981 Posts
Sombody kick chef's rocker. I think the IV is kinked and he's not getting his meds. :D

I think it's a great idea. Nothing wrong with a G43 or even a Springfield Armory XD(S) as a bug.
That's one man's opinion. Assuming that it will be true for hundreds of other people whose lives will be on the line, however... I insist on a true DA or a thumb safety. Assuming NYC still puts 12# triggers in their Glocks, that qualifies on safety grounds, but I'll bet my dog that their Glock 12# triggers can't compete with the DA on my Colt Detective Special or classic Cobra.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Looks like the NYPD is banning revolvers and forcing all remaining 150 officers still carrying snubbies to go through training on glocks, et al?

Sad day in my opinion.
They are likely having problems finding ammo , you know it being loaded with black powder and such, aren't all these old guns using Black powder loads??
and of course with the revolver there is always the chance that the flint will get wet and it will not fire when the policeman really needs it to.----:damnmate:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It had to be done, the NYPD has a reputation to uphold and officers carrying revolvers with their limited capacity was encouraging them to improve their aim rather than spray and pray.

The NYPD is tired of living in the Ghostbusters shadow when it comes to collateral damage.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
It had to be done, the NYPD has a reputation to uphold and officers carrying revolvers with their limited capacity was encouraging them to improve their aim rather than spray and pray.
Well its just my opinion but I don't really think that any officer with limited capacity should be allowed to carry a gun, revolver or semi auto!!-----

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
its because revolvers use SPEED loaders. just to much firepower

Reactions: AZM66

·
Registered
708 Posts
Assuming NYC still puts 12# triggers in their Glocks...
I'm willing to bet that the percentage of officers able to hit the broad side of a barn on the first trigger pull is very small. Not to worry though, it seems the legislature there is trying to give the same "proficiency" to everyone by mandating heavy triggers for all.

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
Interesting statistics about NYPD use of firearms:

Their hit ratio is around 34%, but they include 46 police officers who committed suicide with their gun. Those incidents have a 100% hit ratio, which is how the department manages to get that 34%.

It is therefore obvious why they are mandating the use of high capacity firearms.

It's cheaper than training.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts