1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
There is only one thing I would like to do less than live in New York City.
That would be being a police officer in New York City.
As for that mayor, I find it hard to believe any grown man would display fear of a firearm
let alone a mayor. What do they serve him, Pampers after every meal?

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is only one thing I would like to do less than live in New York City.
That would be being a police officer in New York City.
As for that mayor, I find it hard to believe any grown man would display fear of a firearm
let alone a mayor. What do they serve him, Pampers after every meal?
Well, with a last name of “Dinkins” it had to be a tough haul for that guy to be taken seriously when it came to crime fighting. Notice that his challenger for office was Rudy Giuliani, described at that time as a “Republican-Liberal”; imagine if Dinkins had been mayor during 9-11!

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Well, Kelly and Dinkens did have a point. The public is less safe with cops that have guns. They should have taken the opportunity to disarm the cops and make the city much, much more safe. But, they are politicians and didn't have the nerve to do the right thing!

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
Such hand wringing over a simple solution. As usual, liberal elected officials shift the blame for possible innocent bystander injury to the LEO's, and not to the criminal element where it belongs. If I remember correctly, NYPD was one of the last vestiges of revolver-armed cops.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DeltaBravoKS

I have to assume you speak in jest/sarcasm. The FBI certainly had their firearm IQ tuned up in 1986. And, from that 5 minute firefight, the firearms use strategy in law enforcement was changed forever!

Unarmed cops?

Might want to ask a Piccadilly Street bobby their opinion on that!

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Such hand wringing over a simple solution. As usual, liberal elected officials shift the blame for possible innocent bystander injury to the LEO's, and not to the criminal element where it belongs. If I remember correctly, NYPD was one of the last vestiges of revolver-armed cops.
It would be interesting to know if there are any departments that still use revolvers. I assume there are a few that let officers carry anything within reason (whatever reason is). I can't remember the last time I saw a cop in the Wichita area carrying a revolver. Last fall I was at an OK State football game and one of the OHP troopers was carrying a nice looking stainless revolver. He had a full head of gray hair and a senior rank, so I assume he wasn't your average roadie. Apparently they have some flexibility.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
DeltaBravoKS

I have to assume you speak in jest/sarcasm. The FBI certainly had their firearm IQ tuned up in 1986. And, from that 5 minute firefight, the firearms use strategy in law enforcement was changed forever!

Unarmed cops?

Might want to ask a Piccadilly Street bobby their opinion on that!
Yes, you are correct. You couldn't see my tongue in my cheek...I was exaggerating their idiocy.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^

Figured you were. Problem is that there was a whole lot of serious talk like that by Hildabeast when she ran for POTUS.

She actually felt the we needed to mirror Australian disarmament despite current and former Australian politicians warnings that they felt they had acted prematurely and had made society worse rather than better.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I think, just going on where I know about, Port Lavaca, Texas, most small towns would be better served with revolvers. These little podunk towns hire what they can get and they don't have the training budgets for much range time. They don't have the NEED for semi autos, either. I've seen this in action. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I actually found the article difficult to read. It's written from the perspective of ignorance, with commentary from people whose ignorance is even greater. It hearkens back to those thrilling days of yesteryear when we had to get permission from McNamara's brain trust before prosecuting targets of opportunity. Idiots in offices making combat decisions. It's a wonder we were able to achieve even "peace with honor."

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The comments made by these officials are both hysterical and frightening at the same time. Talking about a gun being "too dangerous" for the police to carry. Afraid they might "shoot more". I wonder if they ever listen to themselves. These poor guys are at war! Give them the tools. Of course they had to limit the magazine capacity. What a bunch of total morons.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That article makes a big deal out of trigger weights and rightly so. The fear mongering over use of higher capacities back in the ‘90s did lead to some ridiculous trigger weights being incorporated. 14-15 lbs of trigger is A LOT to overcome - especially in follow up shot accuracy. Maybe that is one of the leading reasons that civilian accuracy scores beat out LEO accuracy scores when compared shot-to-shot. Of course, lack of training and adequate time for qualifications may play a role; would you rather be protected by cops who have to qualify quarterly (every 90 days) or just once or twice a year?

I do think that all officers who are due to retire within the next year or two should be able to stick with their revolvers; the time and resources to train for use of a semiautomatic pistols would best be utilized with incoming recruits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts