Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't think firearms or hunting related items, were a big part of Dick's bottom line... at least not in the Dick's around me. There was a very small area dedicated to gun/hunting items, compared to the shoe or golf section of the store.

I think the they did a little grandstanding over the removal of some firearms, thinking it would help their public image. It may have, but I doubt it. I don't think anyone who didn't shop at Dicks before, is all of a sudden going to go there now, because they don't sell black rifles.

They should have quietly just stopped ordering new guns and sell off what they had in stock. It wouldn't bother me had they done that, the grandstanding, pretending they're losing billions in sales due to this, does bother me.

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
:unsure:...if a Dick's store closes and nobody's around to hear it...:huh:...does it still make a sound?

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts
I don't think firearms or hunting related items, were a big part of Dick's bottom line... at least not in the Dick's around me. There was a very small area dedicated to gun/hunting items, compared to the shoe or golf section of the store.

I think the they did a little grandstanding over the removal of some firearms, thinking it would help their public image. It may have, but I doubt it. I don't think anyone who didn't shop at Dicks before, is all of a sudden going to go there now, because they don't sell black rifles.

They should have quietly just stopped ordering new guns and sell off what they had in stock. It wouldn't bother me had they done that, the grandstanding, pretending they're losing billions in sales due to this, does bother me.

The firearms enthusiast who formerly was visiting Dick's was also in the ancillary market for camping, fishing, outerwear and other products. POOF! Gone.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

When the hunting seasons come around or "Black Friday/Thursday" comes around the hunting and fishing areas are extremely busy at the Dick's near me. I don't think it's their main money maker but I suspect their recent actions will make a large impact on their sales.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Thank you, NSSF, for doing the right thing. NOW, if we could get others to do the same thing towards companies like Dick's, maybe these groups would get the message.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
I think this is just a reactionary move by the NSSF and it's what needs to be done across the board to states, banking institutions and companies that want to play the politically expedience card. Eventually shareholders are gonna start getting pissed off and will start ousting board members who are throwing away their (the shareholders) money for their own vanity causes.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

The very few times I have been in my local Dick's they had no one even working in the hunting/firearm section.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Yeah, I see what you mean. They just seem to want to rub our noses in it, but that's ok. I have not been in there ever since this all went down....that's like a couple hundred dollars in ammo, that I would have spent there. Their loss.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Dick's put in a new store in a city near me (about 45 miles away). I hope it crashes and burns soon!

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
I hear they're thinking of merging with another failing company...:mellow:...they're gonna' rename it Dicks 'R' Us.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts

Yeah, I think they cater to golfers more than shooters and hunters.

My Dad said it's like going to a fish camp along the ******* Riviera (saltwater fishing along the north Flori-duh coast- Destin, Port St Joseph, Mexico City Beach...). When you walk into the dining room in the morning, there will be one table with some folks that look like they just 'walked out of an LL Bean catalogue'. That's the golfers that got invited to go fishing. He figures that's Dick's primary shooting clientele, too. Golfers that get invited to go shooting or hunting or decided that they need a firearm as a status symbol.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
683 Posts
If I were a stockholder I'd expect the board and CEO to have studied the costs to taking this position. My impression is that it was knee jerk by people with a certain belief system that doesn't know their customer.

I'd propose that gun owners are also fisherman, campers, 'backpackers, and maybe even golfers. When I was younger I played softball, golfed, skied, camped and fished. Now maybe they think the black gun thing is just reasonable. The left always tries to say 'reasonable' but we know the end goal. So some pro 2nd people will see it as 'reasonable' except that there was a marketing correlated to an incident so the next incident should logically mean they eliminate the next gun, and so on. Had they just stopped selling them quietly but they took a position. The position was not consistent with some of the customers. We will see how many. Maybe they have studied it and they are willing to compete in the sneaker, aerobic clothes, team jersey, bikes and swim suit market.

I bought a Ruger 10/22 from them maybe 10 years ago. I bought it on price and convenience. It is a 'commodity' gun. Otherwise they will never sell me another gulf club, bag, sneaker, spikes, or piece of clothes which I have bought in history. Hope they follow Toys-R-Us.

If I were a stockholder I'd be concerned.

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
If I were a stockholder I'd be concerned.
Thats a mild understatement. It's like somebody who likes the taste of gun metal being left in a store with loaded guns. It's not going to end well....who ever heard of a sporting goods store taking an anti-2A stance? More than that, hiring lobbyists as well? It sounds like a death wish, or you have some new liberals on the board of directors that want to put a perception out there for everybody.

·
Super Moderator
37,252 Posts
Brick and mortar stores are on the brink of extinction in all manner of merchandise sales...even vehicle sellers now. A lot of what they sell is sold for less on the 'net and other items such as golf, bowling and other gear best fitted to an individual are sought out in pro shops. Their (and others) best bet is to have as wide an audience as possible and they are rolling the dice in thinking that they can broaden their appeal by taking a popular, political stance.

Heads of million dollar companies who are successful don't "roll the dice".

Reactions: Desperado
1 - 20 of 43 Posts