Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife caught me studying the Taurus line again and decided she wants a new friend.... She likes the idea of the 851, so I need more info.
Can y'all fill me in on the 851? have there been any issues that are known with it?
I only see one possible concern myself. With the shrouded hammer would it be easy to get gunk trapped in the "slot" the hammer rides in? I mean like shirt lint or something like that. Also Is it available in a standard weight or only UL? Thanks!
She would want a blued one with pink grips:rolleyes:.... this takes the same grips as the 85 right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got an 851 last week. Haven't had an opportunity to take it out on the range yet, so I can't be of much help. During my research prior to buying the gun I didn't find any recurring problems with this model. As far as the lint problem, I haven't seen anything of that nature yet, I bought an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm finding all positive things so far except one guy on youtube that broke the hand. after seeing him dry fire it several times I'm sure he short stroked it, all he was interested in doing was flaming Taurus.... Otherwise all good reviews. Some people review it and say it weighs 25 oz.??? That must not be an UL, I think she'll be happy with an UL. It still weighs more than the LCR she's used to shooting (I never liked that gun anyway).

·
Registered
35 Posts
It definitely has some weight to it. But I assume it will help with recoil. 25oz sounds about right. Mine is not the UL btw.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
This is fine concept in a concealed carry gun if you get over it's hump back looks...

I'm not sure they catalog this version anymore but my wife got her Taurus .38 spl. Spectrum Blue Total Titanium Model 851 in 2005; it weighs in at about 15 oz.

In the last 6 years she's put a little over 2,000 rounds of Magnus 158 gr. LSWC's through it, with a couple hundred 129 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks & WW 130 gr. FMJ's to boot.

It's 100% reliable and accurate; we both love having the single action option for more deliberate shooting if necessary.

The all steel version should weigh in at about 21 oz. and have less felt recoil.

·
32,481 Posts
The "humpback" models help redirect recoil so that there is a bit less muzzle flip or recoil is directed back into the body so there is less perceived or felt recoil.

After doing some research the 851 and kin have excellent track records on par with the Taurus 85. That's saying a lot.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The wife caught me studying the Taurus line again and decided she wants a new friend.... She likes the idea of the 851, so I need more info.
Can y'all fill me in on the 851? have there been any issues that are known with it?
I only see one possible concern myself. With the shrouded hammer would it be easy to get gunk trapped in the "slot" the hammer rides in? I mean like shirt lint or something like that. Also Is it available in a standard weight or only UL? Thanks!
She would want a blued one with pink grips:rolleyes:.... this takes the same grips as the 85 right?
The 851 series, at present; is only offered in a 16.8oz UL version. That is the same exact weight of my Mdl 85SS2UL. In years past, they were further offered in an all steel and Titanium version as well. You may be able to find an all steel version with the larger dealers like Bud's or Davidsons. I do not own a 651 or and 851. I have dry fired a few at LGS's around here. My only negative observation is that they WERE VERY DIFFICULT to cock in order to fire single action. I assume that would be self corrective with use over time and a lot of dry firing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 851 series, at present; is only offered in a 16.8oz UL version. That is the same exact weight of my Mdl 85SS2UL. In years past, they were further offered in an all steel and Titanium version as well. You may be able to find an all steel version with the larger dealers like Bud's or Davidsons. I do not own a 651 or and 851. I have dry fired a few at LGS's around here. My only negative observation is that they WERE VERY DIFFICULT to cock in order to fire single action. I assume that would be self corrective with use over time and a lot of dry firing.
Seconded, I haven't been able to take my 851 to the range yet as previously mentioned. But cocking in extremely difficult. I've only been able to do it about twice. Very very hard.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Replacing the main spring with one from "Wolffe" springs reduces the double action trigger pull and makes it easier to cock for single action usage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good, I'll give her the green light. What do we have to lose with Taurus Warranty right?.... I was happy when she mentioned it. She prefers the humpback look, more power to her. as long as she's happy, so am I. Thanks friends!

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
50 Posts
Whutdidyousay, try a model 817 or 617 in steel, shot both guns and make a choice. After a lot of firing the trigger will be smoother in double action and very nice in single action. This in "what I'm saying" :)

Lt. Nogueira

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't sell her on anything with an exposed hammer. I tried before she got the LCR. Even if the hammer is bobbed she says no, otherwise I"d just get her an 85 like I'm getting. Plus that gun is larger (not much) than the 85 or 851. Thanks for the suggestion.

I doubt she will ever fire it single action, but if she does and likes the feature I'll change out the springs. I already know I'll polish all of the internals before it ever sees the range.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had an 851 for about 8 months now. I've put about 1650 rounds through it. The only problem I've ever had with it was the cylinder stop malfunctioned - once - at about 1200 rounds or so. I found that the action was fouled with powder residue (I had never cleaned the internals before that). Since then, function is perfect, just as when new. I plan on cleaning the internals every 750 rounds, from now on. I like the gun very much and I trust it completely. It is quite accurate and shoots to POA with 158 grain cast bullets and standard 38 Spl loads.

As for stiffness in the trigger operation - yes. It was stiff when new, but smooth. The trigger has improved a lot over time. I tried the reduced power Wolff springs, but experienced more FTF's than I would like (2 - 3 per hundred rounds). So, I switched back to the standard springs. Cocking the gun for SA is no longer a problem for me - as I've gotten so used to it (and the effort has improved over time). There have been NO problems with dirt infiltration into the action due to the shrouded hammer. This is an erroneous concept anyway, as there is just as much room for such with a standard, non-shrouded hammer. The weight of the gun (25 oz. per Taurus) helps with recoil reduction. A heavier gun, though not as comfortable for all-day carry, is certainly a better shooter, every time, due to better control.

To summarize, I'd highly recommend the 851 to anyone. Except that, the trigger/ hammer effort MIGHT be too stiff for some women. That, of course, is an individual issue and can be improved with the lighter springs - at the risk of a slight decrease in reliability.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, i hear you about the groove the hammer slides in.... i finally saw a good pic of that area and am not worried about it now. we'll start looking for one pretty soon. I'm sure my ol' lady can handle the strongest of trigger squeezes... but I"ll lighten it up for her after a few hundred rounds (I'll help) if she wants.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
In December, we went to the big gun show at the Freeman annex in San Antonio and my missus had a chance to check out various revolvers. She has shot both ultra-lite and regular weight 38s in the past and likes regular weight as they absorb recoil better and are easier to keep on target when shooting defensively. She also liked the no-hammer feature of the 851 CIA and got one in stainless. Since they are no longer current models, she picked it up for $239 plus tax. The snubbie is actually pretty accurate; far more accurate than my Rossi 461 (357) using the same 38 spec. ammo. The snubbie didn't care whether it shot 124 gr. or 158 gr. Another feature that my missus liked was the ergonomics and fact that the 851 has the soft rubber grips. I just picked up a PT111 for her and she will probably start carrying that pistol as it weighs about the same but carries 13 rds of 9mm. She is loved the ergos on that pistol and is also fond of carrying with one in the chamber and on safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive have both my 850 and 851 Blued Steel guns for a little over a year now. Love them both. The Steel absorbs the recoil making it easier to handle full power +P Loads.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd buy exactly what I already have. Great guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts