Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a listing in the used gun inventory at a LGS describing an Omega 900 for 125.00. Some research indicated that it might have been manufactured by Herbert Schmidt in Germany and might have been a SAA 8 shot revolver. That was enough to grab my interest thinking that I wouldn't have to pay an FFL fee of 20 bucks and it would have been just plus ILLinois sales tax. I drove the half hour to the crowded gun shop and didn't see it in display. I waited ten minutes in line as the three clerks were writing up 4473 forms and the guy looks in the computer and cannot find it.

If it was what I think it was it seems to be an OK deal. I can't email them to say that if it turns out that they really still have it to notify me as they have no email listed. I may write them a letter.

I am open to any suggestions on a 22 LR revolver brand, on the less expensive side, that I should be watching for. Want to keep it at about 200.00 +/- and it can't be made of Zamac due to the ILLinois "melt gun" law. I see a few Iver Johnson gun listed on GunBroker but they bid up past that number pretty fast. Are they any good?

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Look at the Heritage line of SAA revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those would be my first choice for the style and price point I am seeking, but they are made with zinc alloy and as such cannot be sold or transferred by an FFL in this state. Face to face works if I found someone selling one. I did learn the supposed reason for the law. It has to do with the ability to completely obliterate the serial number.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Those would be my first choice for the style and price point I am seeking, but they are made with zinc alloy and as such cannot be sold or transferred by an FFL in this state. Face to face works if I found someone selling one. I did learn the supposed reason for the law. It has to do with the ability to completely obliterate the serial number.
Heritage makes 2 with a steel frame. The MSRP is about $50 more than the alloy frame.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Charter Arms Pathfinder comes to mind (I have one in .22WMR), but I’m not sure how the used prices are these days.

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heritage makes 2 with a steel frame. The MSRP is about $50 more than the alloy frame.

Cool...thanks! Looks like between 190-200...haven't found any in stock yet. Includes two cylinders.

SRR22MBS4

·
Registered
32,160 Posts
I saw a listing in the used gun inventory at a LGS describing an Omega 900 for 125.00. Some research indicated that it might have been manufactured by Herbert Schmidt in Germany and might have been a SAA 8 shot revolver. That was enough to grab my interest thinking that I wouldn't have to pay an FFL fee of 20 bucks and it would have been just plus ILLinois sales tax. I drove the half hour to the crowded gun shop and didn't see it in display. I waited ten minutes in line as the three clerks were writing up 4473 forms and the guy looks in the computer and cannot find it.

If it was what I think it was it seems to be an OK deal. I can't email them to say that if it turns out that they really still have it to notify me as they have no email listed. I may write them a letter.

I am open to any suggestions on a 22 LR revolver brand, on the less expensive side, that I should be watching for. Want to keep it at about 200.00 +/- and it can't be made of Zamac due to the ILLinois "melt gun" law. I see a few Iver Johnson gun listed on GunBroker but they bid up past that number pretty fast. Are they any good?
Most of the German made SAA .22's I have ever shot were junk, and not accurate at all. I did have a Hawes when I was 19 that was decent. A lot of double action .22 revolvers have been made over the years, but the hammer springs are always on the heavy side, and the double action somewhat untenable.

I did have a .22 double action I picked up a few years back, seems like it was a South American made and had the name "Pucara or Pucera" It was decent and had a nice wide hammer spur and the double action was decent. I traded it in on something else, probably the Ruger SR.22.
The Pucara is on the bottom of this photo, kind of like a Dirty Harry looking revolver

I have resisted the Heritage SAA over the years, but have never heard anything bad about them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I haven't been real impressed by my Heritage. I have a 3.5" bird's head model. It just ain't that accurate. It'll group under 3" at 25 yards with its best ammo if that's good enough for ya. It does a little better with CCI maximags. And, I have to use Kentucky windage, shoots a little left.

My old Rossi M511 Sportsman is a 4" "kit" gun, J frame size, all stainless six shooter. It will put 6 rounds into an inch off sandbags at 25 yards and having an adjustable sight, a very good one, centers groups. I bought my first Rossi 511 at a Walmart back in the 80s and loved it. It got stolen in a home burglary and I replaced it with a used one I found at a gun show. I'm quite happy with it. I gave 200 bucks for the first one new and 200 bucks for the second one used.

I think I'd look at current production Rossi/Taurus. Now, you're not going to get a smooth/light DA with most .22s due to the rimfire nature of the beast, but the SA will be crisp and light and that's really what it's all about with a plinker. :D I do lament the passing of H&R's revolver line. They offered decent plinker quality in a DA .22 revolver without breaking the bank. There's really nothing to replace that niche that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Most of the German made SAA .22's I have ever shot were junk, and not accurate at all. I did have a Hawes when I was 19 that was decent. A lot of double action .22 revolvers have been made over the years, but the hammer springs are always on the heavy side, and the double action somewhat untenable.

I did have a .22 double action I picked up a few years back, seems like it was a South American made and had the name "Pucara or Pucera" It was decent and had a nice wide hammer spur and the double action was decent. I traded it in on something else, probably the Ruger SR.22.
The Pucara is on the bottom of this photo, kind of like a Dirty Harry looking revolver

I have resisted the Heritage SAA over the years, but have never heard anything bad about them.

Jake, I had a Hawes with .22 mag/LR cylinders as my first handgun when I was 16. It was okay, but not being a great handgun shot at the time, I didn't have a clue how to hit with it. I could shoot my uncle's K22 masterpiece quite well, but that Hawes was off, fixed sights, and I didn't really know how to compensate. Partial reason I bought that Heritage is it reminded me of that old Hawes which I sold in college to gain money so I could eat. I'll keep the Heritage if only for that reason, but I do like the bird's head look. :D

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I have a Ruger Single 10. But it's a bit above your price point. They'll run around $550 - $600. But dang, what a great gun. Fun to shoot. Mine has FO adjustable sights. I really have a great time shooting that gun. I've shot the Heritage, and in my opinion, it's a pretty good SA gun. I've not shot it enough to give a really definitive opinion, but for around $200, I think it may be a good option - a little more money for the steel frame.

Iver Johnson is a study in contradictions. I had a couple of Iver break action .22's as a kid. (And that's been a while ago!). Inexpensive and darn near a throw away. Not that familiar with the newer iterations of the brand.

As an aside, how do you like your SR22 so far? Just kinda curious.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
My Heritage shop keeper is zamak. It's worth an extra 50 bucks for sure to get the steel.

That Hawes I had, I sold it to a friend who took it home over summer break. He fanned it into the trash heap abusing it. The zamak threads in the frame got loose and the barrel flopped around like the clapper in a bell. :rofl: Now, fanning isn't what I'd recommend with ANY SA revolver, even a Ruger, but that experience just sort of lets you know the limitations of zamak vs steel. Those SA zamak frame revolvers are heavy, too, but if you treat 'em right, they'll last you years. They WILL, however, wear out way before steel will. And the painted zamak wears faster than a blued steel gun, looks really bad when the paint starts flaking off.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I have some quality SA guns, a few Blackhawks. My newest is a new model 9mm/.357 convertible flat top. I love that thing for plinking with light 9mm cast handloads that cost little more than .22. I really can't get into buying a single 10 for the same money. The way I load those 105 grain SWC 9mms, they approximate .22LR. They have a little more energy, but only from the extra bullet weight. I gave 600 for it brand new, same price as Divebum gave for his single 10. :D

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
32,160 Posts
Jake, I had a Hawes with .22 mag/LR cylinders as my first handgun when I was 16. It was okay, but not being a great handgun shot at the time, I didn't have a clue how to hit with it. I could shoot my uncle's K22 masterpiece quite well, but that Hawes was off, fixed sights, and I didn't really know how to compensate. Partial reason I bought that Heritage is it reminded me of that old Hawes which I sold in college to gain money so I could eat. I'll keep the Heritage if only for that reason, but I do like the bird's head look. :D
The Hawes I had, had Rosewood Stocks, brass grip strap and trigger, and otherwise all steel. It was a very good looking revolver, just the .22 LR cylinder. I never shot it much, and probably didn't hit very well with it. It was my only handgun and I carried it anytime I traveled.

Funny story, I was working in Downtown Los Angeles at age 21, lived about 30 or so miles south in the Long Beach/Wilmington area, and decided I would work nights at a service station to earn extra Christmas money. I felt pretty intimidated working in a full service station and managed to loosen my belt enough for a 6 o'clock carry in my pants, belt line. I put one of those red rags over the grip to partially conceal it. About 2 in the morning, a rough looking group of 4 men drove in to get some gas. I kept my eye on them as I checked the oil and tires, and nothing transpired. I was tired all day at my regular job and that was my only night at the station as I stopped by the station on the way home and quit. This was a few years after the first Watt's riots.

If I were to buy a Heritage, it would be the Birdshead in a 4" which is what I surmise you own.

The "Pucura" revolvers were only imported for two years, so I imagine they would be hard to find, and parts next to impossible to get.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
32,160 Posts
I have a Ruger Single 10. But it's a bit above your price point. They'll run around $550 - $600. But dang, what a great gun. Fun to shoot. Mine has FO adjustable sights. I really have a great time shooting that gun. I've shot the Heritage, and in my opinion, it's a pretty good SA gun. I've not shot it enough to give a really definitive opinion, but for around $200, I think it may be a good option - a little more money for the steel frame.

Iver Johnson is a study in contradictions. I have a couple of Iver break action .22's as a kid. (And that's been a while ag0). Inexpensive and darn near a throw away. Not that familiar with the newer iterations of the brand.

As an aside, how do you like your SR22 so far? Just kinda curious.
Iver Johnson, from about the late 70's has been mostly an importer on nearly all their firearms.

Regarding the SR.22 , nearly everyone who shot mine got a smile on their face and bought one. They came out about a year or two after the same sized Walthers, that were ammo finicky. The SR22 is not very picky on what it eats, and has very good accuracy for the size, not quite what any of the Mark Series, but weighs a lot less and has generally a shorter sighting radius.

In a moment of weakness, I gave my youngest mine, wish I had given him my Mark 3 22/45 threaded.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You could always look for a H&R 676. You can find them under $300. The old classics deserve a good home.

Of course I'm no one to talk, I sold all my H&R revolvers to a collector 15 years my junior.

I do have a Taurus 992 4".

Maloy

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I bought this thing earlier this year off gunbroker for $270 pus $30 ship and $20 FFL. I can find no fault with it. Its a Rossi Plinker 8 shot

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
32,160 Posts
I bought this thing earlier this year off gunbroker for $270 pus $30 ship and $20 FFL. I can find no fault with it. Its a Rossi Plinker 8 shot

How is the Double Action trigger on the Plinkster?

·
8,900 Posts
#metoo for 22. I keep looking at H&R's on gunbroker. I sold my 6.5 inch DA version. I do see occasional listings that go for under $200. I am looking for 4" or smaller. I have two on my watch page now. Really the perfect for me would be 9 shot with 2 inch barrel. Problem is, old H&R's are hot right now.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts