Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, which shall go unnamed because SOMEONE started a caliber vs. gun war in it ;), you might see I bought my first gun after two years and The Big Selloff, when I got the motorcycle.

I sold off all my .22.

What weird activities do you guys do to buy it? How many darkened parking lots do you meet strange, ball-cap-wearing middle-aged paranoiacs in to get 500 rounds of this newly-black-market wunder-fodder for your .22s?

I've heard that Walmart is still a virtual wasteland. I've heard that Gander Mountain likes to charge 42x the pre-Obama price for a box of this New Gold.

How do you do it?!?!?

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
In another thread, which shall go unnamed because SOMEONE started a caliber vs. gun war in it ;), you might see I bought my first gun after two years and The Big Selloff, when I got the motorcycle.

I sold off all my .22.

What weird activities do you guys do to buy it? How many darkened parking lots do you meet strange, ball-cap-wearing middle-aged paranoiacs in to get 500 rounds of this newly-black-market wunder-fodder for your .22s?

I've heard that Walmart is still a virtual wasteland. I've heard that Gander Mountain likes to charge 42x the pre-Obama price for a box of this New Gold.

How do you do it?!?!?
I guess either the early bird gets the worm, or you reload 9mms or 380s for less than what you can buy 22s for.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Seems like bulk .22 shows up in certain regions more then others. I occasionally get lucky at BPS with the Golden Bullets bulk packs for just under $27.00 with tax.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I stocked up years ago using it as range ammo. After mother started having problems I don't shoot much. When I do, have been playing with muzzleloaders. They are not that expensive to shoot and a cap&ball revolver with black powder is a lot of fun. A 45 colt round with bp is a hoot with all the smoke out of a single action Colt type revolver. Lot more slap than a 22.

·
Super Moderator
26,913 Posts
Keep on checking places like Slick guns, cheaper than dirt, Ammoengine, ammo to go etc. I recently picked up 2000 rds of loose SB in an ammo can for about 8cents/round.

Reactions: Panda and Sekol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I still cringe at the thought of when I was at cmp in Anniston and they have 5,000 rounds of .22 for $99 and I said no.

I was buying a lot of ammo before the great shortage of 2013. However, .22 was a priority even though I had 1500 rounds of it. Now, I just buy when see it. I haven't seen a box of 300 rounds in a while but I have bought the 100 round. I can catch them at Walmart early Tuesday morning but It varies.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Just keep the faith baby, and always carry a credit card! At some time, somewhere, you see a box, and then quick as you can, snag it! this is not my stash - this must be what a stash looks like in a dream!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have a LGS that has had it back in stock for about 7-8 months. Most days he will only sell you 500 at a time. But at least he is fair about it. It's a little overpriced though.

Reactions: Panda

·
Administrator
39,486 Posts
Don't laugh, but I did this very thing several months ago, on a dark and dreary morning. Difference being it was in an iHop restaurant, when I exchanged my hard earned cash under the table, for two bricks of .22, with a fellow of very questionable morals and integrity. :shocked:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't laugh, but I did this very thing several months ago, on a dark and dreary morning. Difference being it was in an iHop restaurant, when I exchanged my hard earned cash under the table, for two bricks of .22, with a fellow of very questionable morals and integrity. :shocked:
I WAS that middle-aged paranoiac two years back when I sold mine off... but I sold mine for about what I paid for it. I'm trying not to be too much of a scumbag; I DID sell the ARs and the Vector V-93 for some big profits. Easily the only time I've ever "made" money on a gun.

·
Super Moderator
26,913 Posts
Another Moderator? Or one of the Jakes?

·
8,406 Posts
Local Lgs and Academy has been pretty good for me. I am around 4K rounds - will be getting some more CCI hopefully next week.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
I keep getting mine at the various Taurus Armed events.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Glad I horded mine before the craziness started. Whenever I'm out I buy a box here and there just to be safe.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
So, you bought it from Jake...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts