Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am i correct that with novak sights your suposed to aim with a 6 oclock hold? so if your aiming dead center instead of the bottom of the bullseye, your going to be a bit high right?

I ask cause i aim dead center and im low, and this is with it in a pistol vise

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
regardless of manufacture of the site, generally if is a combat type sight (as opposed to target type sites-large flat blades and large front squarish post)) then in the case of a 3 dot site setup the 3 dots would be aligned horizontally with the front dot being placed ON the place where you desire the projectile to hit, this is commonly refetrrred to as POA=POI.
ON all my Taurus 1911's thats how they print ?
on my Dan Wesson with total black sights and my Springfield Range Officer total black sights that are adjustable they both are 6 O'Clock hold, printing about 1-2 inches above POA.
the left/right has nothing to do with the pOA/POI, thats a windage issue and should be adjusted to correct if you are sure that it is the gun and not the shooter.
hope this helps, and again thats how it works for me and my guns.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, that was the understanding i had, i just wanted to make sure before i started in on other avenues to try and correct the low shooting issue. I read somewhere that on some sites the front and back dots are supposed to be in a figure 8 configuration where the front dot is on the target with the back ones just under it so the bottom of the front and the top of the back dots are just touching, not sure what that is called, and it might have been for a totally different type of sites.

Granted that person might have been off there rocker, and made that up, but in testing with my pt1911 it seems to work, however that is not how i learned to shoot and not how i want to have to aim with this gun either, so im probably going to try replacement of the sites, or possibly send it off to taurus.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
. I read somewhere that on some sites the front and back dots are supposed to be in a figure 8 configuration where the front dot is on the target with the back ones just under it so the bottom of the front and the top of the back dots are just touching, not sure what that is called, and it might have been for a totally different type of sites.

Granted that person might have been off there rocker, and made that up, but in testing with my pt1911 it seems to work, however that is not how i learned to shoot and not how i want to have to aim with this gun either, so im probably going to try replacement of the sites, or possibly send it off to taurus.
That would be the original Hienie Straight Eight sites that came on the Taurus PT1911, they also were use on several other models.
While a great many people had a lot of difficulty with them I simply love the things!
to me they are way faster back on target for repeat shots or to keep on target when the target is moving.
These are as well pretty expensive well made sites.
Taurus had so many complaints that they began using the three dot setup.
the weapon when properly sighted the two dots will look like an 8 or as many say a snowman!
front dot is slightly above the rear dot.
I think i got a picture of them here somewhere!
Note- this is the same weapon, just one in original black finish, the other when it was Cera-Koate.
you can raise POI by installing a lower front sight or a higher rear site by the way.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts