Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a pt1911 upon attempting to adjust my rear sight i tried to use the supplied allen wrench and 1.5mm allen wrench of my own and can not get the set screw to budge. when i try to turn the wrench it seemed like it wa going to break if i tried any harder then when i thought i broke it loose it was basically skipping through the set screw like it was attempting to grab. i cant tell if it is stripped or what has anyone else had this problem if so any suggestions or am i better off taking it to a gunsmith because i really dont want to spend the money on shipping or the wait time to send it in to taurus to have it repaited thanks for any help that can be provided

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
you may have to get a removal tool (eze-out) or take it to the gunsmith.
you might want to try to apply heat (as in a hair dryer) to the sight/ screw one more time and see if you can get it loose, usually once you strip out a hex screw its pretty much shot though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
One thing I have done with hex screws after they strip is to use a torx bit that is slightly larger than the hex bit to remove the stripped. Find a torx bit that will barely fit into the hex head, give it a few light raps to drive it in there and carefully attempt to loosen the fastener. It works out well a surprising percentage of the time. If you just strip it out worse, you didn't loose anything but time given the screw was already stripped. Hex screws are crap and should not be used on guns or cars anymore. We have torx now, hex's time had passed.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
I agree!
before I shipped the gun back to Taurus, especially If I had to pay shipping. then I would either myself ( or take It to a gunsmith) and let him drill the screw out, tap the sight base and replace it with a TORX screw myself, that petty much takes care of the issue for now and the future.
IF you are comfortable doing this work then do it, if not take it to a gunsmith or machine shop.

Reactions: Wreckerman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just lost my set screw on the rear Novak sight of my PT1911. Anyone have this problem?? Can I get another at a hardware store???:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts