Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear set screw must have came out at some point, or maybe never installed at all :mad:

Anyone have a clue what size the rear Novak set screw is?

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
The rear set screw must have came out at some point, or maybe never installed at all :mad:

Anyone have a clue what size the rear Novak set screw is?
Not as far as thread size i don't , you can bet that its metric however!
call taurus and see if they will send you one, or find a good machine shop and they should be able to help you out, perhaps even a gunsmith?
I would bet that it was in there or the sight would have been moving around on you.
heck if you can't get one then have the machine shop drill the hole out, rethread it to what ever they/you want and put a new hex screw in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was wondering the same thing

This is my first post. I just purchased my first Taurus three days ago, a PT1911DT, and my first 1911, (a lot of first) and took it to the range and discovered that the rear Novak sight was offset way to the left causing shots to be left of center. After reading post on this sight (owner's manual had no mention of sight adjustment that I could find) and other forums I loosened the set screw with the supplied wrench and to my relief the sight just slid out,but the wrench was stuck in the screw, I sensed there was a problem there. When I repositioned the sight and started tightening the screw I could feel that the head was starting to strip. I don’t know if the wrench is sized a little small or the screw is made of soft material. I read that some people will use locktite on the screw threads when retightening it but I feared if I did that I'd never get it out. I took the gun to the range and the sight screw kept loosening up and the sight moved around. This is a great site, I've already learned a lot just from reading post in the last few days. Also when I moved the sight to center, the gun still shot low and left.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not as far as thread size i don't , you can bet that its metric however!
call taurus and see if they will send you one, or find a good machine shop and they should be able to help you out, perhaps even a gunsmith?
I would bet that it was in there or the sight would have been moving around on you.
heck if you can't get one then have the machine shop drill the hole out, rethread it to what ever they/you want and put a new hex screw in it.
Its not there, confirmed by removing the sight. I know where to get set screws, I just need to know the size rather than shotgun the issue and buy a bunch of small sizes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first post. I just purchased my first Taurus three days ago, a PT1911DT, and my first 1911, (a lot of first) and took it to the range and discovered that the rear Novak sight was offset way to the left causing shots to be left of center. After reading post on this sight (owner's manual had no mention of sight adjustment that I could find) and other forums I loosened the set screw with the supplied wrench and to my relief the sight just slid out,but the wrench was stuck in the screw, I sensed there was a problem there. When I repositioned the sight and started tightening the screw I could feel that the head was starting to strip. I don’t know if the wrench is sized a little small or the screw is made of soft material. I read that some people will use locktite on the screw threads when retightening it but I feared if I did that I'd never get it out. I took the gun to the range and the sight screw kept loosening up and the sight moved around. This is a great site, I've already learned a lot just from reading post in the last few days.
The rear sight screw is (Supposed to be) a 2mm allen wrench head.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Doc, guess I'll be taking the gun back to the GunShop to get another screw (ha screw, I think they might have already screwed mewith this gun)

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
The rear sight screw is (Supposed to be) a 2mm allen wrench head.
AHH< OK whos on first??
is the Op asking for the wrench size or the actual thread size of the screw?
if the screw is missing, i don't think it matters what size the head is, it does matter what size the threads are and what type of thread it is?
Now I could be wrong with Brazilian screws but here in the US of A there are lot of thread sizes to pick from, the head size is crutical only if you own only one wrench!-LOL
if asking for the wrench szie the poster is correct I think, front is 1.5 MM rear is 2 MM or they should be.
aagin a good tooling shop should be able to tell you and posisbly have one in stock.

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
This is my first post. I just purchased my first Taurus three days ago, a PT1911DT, and my first 1911, (a lot of first) and took it to the range and discovered that the rear Novak sight was offset way to the left causing shots to be left of center. After reading post on this sight (owner's manual had no mention of sight adjustment that I could find) and other forums I loosened the set screw with the supplied wrench and to my relief the sight just slid out,but the wrench was stuck in the screw, I sensed there was a problem there. When I repositioned the sight and started tightening the screw I could feel that the head was starting to strip. I don’t know if the wrench is sized a little small or the screw is made of soft material. I read that some people will use locktite on the screw threads when retightening it but I feared if I did that I'd never get it out. I took the gun to the range and the sight screw kept loosening up and the sight moved around. This is a great site, I've already learned a lot just from reading post in the last few days. Also when I moved the sight to center, the gun still shot low and left.
AHH, did you happen to use the hex wrench that was included with the gun to try to adjust the rear sight??
if so thats for the front sight I believe, the rear sight has a different size screw in it, thats likely why it was loose in the screw head.
ALSO! check your trigger control and how deep that you have your finger into the trigger.
I have found several of my Taurus weapons with the sights to one side, some even had the front sight to one side and the rear sight to the opposite side, while the gun fired on target it looked odd and i centered them both.
We here normally attribute this as the "Clarence Effect" , Clarence is a cross eyed Brazilian that works on the sight installation line at Taurus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
AHH, did you happen to use the hex wrench that was included with the gun to try to adjust the rear sight??
if so thats for the front sight I believe, the rear sight has a different size screw in it, thats likely why it was loose in the screw head.
The gun case came with a small plastic bag containing two gun lock keys, a key ring and one allen wrench. The allen wrench only fit the rear sight screw, I did try the front sight screw with the wrench but it was obviouly to large.

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
The gun case came with a small plastic bag containing two gun lock keys, a key ring and one allen wrench. The allen wrench only fit the rear sight screw, I did try the front sight screw with the wrench but it was obviouly to large.
HMM! perhaps i got it flip flopped then!
I was thinking that the hex wrench fit the front sight , not the back but could be wrong.
Its been a long time since I needed to adjust the sights on any of my Taurus pistols.
never did undertand why Taurus didn't include 2 wrenches of the correct size or make both sights with the same size screw??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I talked to C/S at Taurus yesterday for the first time. After pushing 1 for the automated prompts, which by the way covers just about everything you could call them about, I got put on hold and listened to Lee Greenwood sing the same song for 20 minutes. At 15 minutes wait time someone had picked up the phone, I heard talking in the background, then i was back to listening to Greenwood for another 5 minutes. The lady took my information and said the new rear sight screw would be shipped to me in 7-10 busness days. We shall see. Oh, before calling Lee, I mean Taurus, I did go by the gun shop that sold me the gun just a few days earlier. When he saw me walk through the door I could tell he had that., oh crap another dissatified pain in the a** customer. He took the gun in the gun smith shop then came back and said the screw is unique and I would have to go through Taurus C/S to get another one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to C/S at Taurus yesterday for the first time. After pushing 1 for the automated prompts, which by the way covers just about everything you could call them about, I got put on hold and listened to Lee Greenwood sing the same song for 20 minutes. At 15 minutes wait time someone had picked up the phone, I heard talking in the background, then i was back to listening to Greenwood for another 5 minutes. The lady took my information and said the new rear sight screw would be shipped to me in 7-10 busness days. We shall see. Oh, before calling Lee, I mean Taurus, I did go by the gun shop that sold me the gun just a few days earlier. When he saw me walk through the door I could tell he had that., oh crap another dissatified pain in the a** customer. He took the gun in the gun smith shop then came back and said the screw is unique and I would have to go through Taurus C/S to get another one.
lol, its not unique. I highly doubt Taurus manufactures their own line of metric set screws. That was basically the gun smith being in the same boat as me, no clue what size it is and don't have any handy. I still don't know what size it is, but you can get them from a fastener store.

Socket Set Screws | Fastenal

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
lol, its not unique. I highly doubt Taurus manufactures their own line of metric set screws. That was basically the gun smith being in the same boat as me, no clue what size it is and don't have any handy. I still don't know what size it is, but you can get them from a fastener store.
Socket Set Screws | Fastenal
Yep, its amazing what you can get/find in a true old fashioned Hardware store or machine shop!
we got both close by me, how the devil do these guys remember what all that stuff is and where they got it?
The guy at the machine shop will look at something and say "yea thats the swedish 3.7 MM reverse threaded 76 Micron screw with gradual taper" a lot of people confuse this with the 3.8 size and thats totally wrong because the 3.8 doesn't have a taper!
I just nod my head and pay the guy.!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts