Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PT 1911 and have read lots of post on the problem of these guns shooting low. I removed the Heinie's ( 3 dot setup ) and replaced them with High Viz FO 3 dot and the gun shoots exactly as it did with the Hienie's. I have lots of friends I shoot with and lots of different pistols including other non Taurus 1911's and mine is the only one everyone hits 6-8" low at 20-25 yards.

My question is has any one tried a setup with adjustable Novak's on rear and the High Viz on the front?
I was wondering if the Novak adj rear would give me enough room to adjust out the 6-8" down fall?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just ordered High Viz for my Taurus 1911 and waiting for the mailman. I've got to find a GOOD gunsmith to have
them installed and the gun zero'd in. Haven't found a reliable gun smith here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you using the "dot the i" method for aiming? Some use a "cover" method with the front sight. I think some have had success filing down the front sight. And other have had success with kentucky windage. How does it shoot at 5-10 yards? 25 always seems a bit long to me for pistol shooting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The High Viz are awesome sights just did not change anything as far as bullet placement and the gunsmith here charged me 45.00 to remove originals and install the High Viz.

The cover method works well for torso sized targets. I like to target shoot and do not want to cover the smaller targets as you can not have well placed shots. 5-10 yards the gun shoots about 4-5 inches low.

I tried filling the original front sight down but the cosmetic's of the gun looked like crap being I had to file down into the white dot. My eyes are not what they use to be and needed something I could pick up easy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine shoots POA at 25 yds. with the front dot at center of the bull,but low with a 6 o'clock hold. You might want to try a different way of gripping the pistol and see if your POI changes.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Wilson Combat has fiber optic front sights for PT1911 in several different heights.

Credit goes to dbeardslee for the following formula:

The way to figure out what height you need is to use the formula "desired change X sight radius ÷ range in inches = needed change in sight height."

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
I have a PT 1911 and have read lots of post on the problem of these guns shooting low. I removed the Heinie's ( 3 dot setup ) and replaced them with High Viz FO 3 dot and the gun shoots exactly as it did with the Hienie's. I have lots of friends I shoot with and lots of different pistols including other non Taurus 1911's and mine is the only one everyone hits 6-8" low at 20-25 yards.
My question is has any one tried a setup with adjustable Novak's on rear and the High Viz on the front?
I was wondering if the Novak adj rear would give me enough room to adjust out the 6-8" down fall?
Thanks
OK, firts i believe that IF you have a three dot setup from Taurus its going to be a Novak sight, not a hienie, hienie was a 2 dot arrangement, one dot on the front sight and one dot on the rear sight.
and I don;t think the front sight dot was in the same place as the Novak front sight dot.
But as the Hi viz is a repalcement for the Taurus then actually it should not change the sight pattern if its the correct height for the weapon.
Now on my 1911's it did change the sight pattern on 2 of them (just barely)the other one it did not.
but shooting a 1911 at 7-10 yards with fixed sights shouldn't be on any way, tyr 25-50 yards and it might be on traget then.
as for installing the hi-viz it takes between 5 and 25 minutes for me, simple to do with hand tools (mostly a good file) 45 bucks for a gunsmith to install a hi viz front sight on a PT1911 that has a hex screw holding the front sight on??
man---- what a friend!
Below is a picture of the Hienie sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
The High Viz are awesome sights just did not change anything as far as bullet placement and the gunsmith here charged me 45.00 to remove originals and install the High Viz.
The cover method works well for torso sized targets. I like to target shoot and do not want to cover the smaller targets as you can not have well placed shots. 5-10 yards the gun shoots about 4-5 inches low.
well of course Combat Sights on a 1911 are for just that , hitting torso sized targets that are moving, to get a target quality 1911 then one should purchase a 1911 with target adustable sights on it.
Target type sights on a self defense 1911 are fairly impractical in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they are Novak and it does not matter to me because they do not hit the way I want them to and they will never see my pistol again. As far as grip as I said I shoot a lot of pistols as weel as my friends and (everyone) shoots the same with mine.

My question was- has any one tried a setup with adjustable Novak's on rear and the High Viz on the front?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sight Sense

There is a good article in the January 2012 issue of American Handgunner (Sight Sense) that might help, you should be able to view it online.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Maybe they are Novak and it does not matter to me because they do not hit the way I want them to and they will never see my pistol again. As far as grip as I said I shoot a lot of pistols as weel as my friends and (everyone) shoots the same with mine.

My question was- has any one tried a setup with adjustable Novak's on rear and the High Viz on the front?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dogchild,

I read that article and it was very good as I do get Handgunner mag. Thanks

I visited Dawsonpercision.com and I might be getting them to make me a replacement front FO sight. They have a very good formula for your sighting and will build you a custom front sight if they do not already have one.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If you want your sights to hit right where you hold them at a particular range, you've usually gotta do some precise measuring. It's a job for a caliper, not a ruler. Personally I like 25 yards, but some folks prefer to have a 1911 right on the money at fifty. Carefully measure both the front and rear sights for overall height above the slide. Then shoot some groups (and they need to be relatively tight) and measure how far off you are from the center of the groups to poa. Then apply the formula "needed change in inches X sight radius ÷ range in inches (900 for 25 yards) = needed change in sight height. To bring the strike up subtract the "needed change in sight height" from your front sight measurement, and that will give you the overall height you need up front. Then go to Wilson Combat and do a search on "front sight" (NOT "sights"). That'll bring up a list of all their front sights, and they've got them in almost any size you'd want. Find the sight you like in the height you've determined and buy it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received the HiViz sights and had them installed today. (Found a good "smith") Today was "Ladies Day" at the range with
an hour plus wait for a lane. So I'll go next week to try the sights and my new reloads. Can't rush these things!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: Went to the range today and shot my first 8 reloads successfully. Not as much kick as new but still acceptable.
I also used my 1911 with the new HiViz sights. I found out I had to change my aiming point to below my target not on the target as before.
Once I discovered that I was able to have a successful grouping.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Also be thee aware - lighter loads generally strike higher than more powerful rounds. I think it's because the bullet is in the barrel longer, and the barrel is actually moving before the round leaves the chamber. You can see it well in this high speed footage - note the pistols slide to the rear before the bullet leaves the barrel. Course while it's going back, it's also going up - hence a higher strike with lighter loads. It doesn't look like it's moving up in the video, but it might be locked into something. Dunno. And besides - it doesn't have to move much. .008" is enough to move the strike of the round an inch at 25 yards. Usually doesn't amount to a whole lot, though. I just mention it because you may have two things going on there - different sights and lighter rounds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was wondering if the Novak adj rear would give me enough room to adjust out the 6-8" down fall?[/QUOTE]

One of my buddies put a Novak adjustable rear on his PT1911 9mm and it solved the sighting problem. He waited for months to get the sight, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
here is a failproof trigonometry approach to get your sights exact every time.

1-always move your front sight towards your group
2-conversely move your rear sight direction you want your group to go
3-measure your sight radius than multiply by .0012 than multiply by inches you need to move group. example you have a 4"barrel wiyh a 6" sight radius shooting 5" low at 25 yds. multiply 6x.0012=.0072x5=.036, .036 is what has to be removed from front sight and POI will dead on.
4-the multiplier is .0006 at 50 yds. and .0003 at 100 yds.
5-this system works every time whether you need to move sight up or down, also will help you determine what hieght sight to order if you will be replacing the sight.
hopefully this will help you out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an adjustable rear sight from novak, i`m just waiting to have it installed. My gun was shooting way low.Taurus put a smaller front sight on it. Its better, but it still shot too low.
I will get back to you when I shoot it after its on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If both sight systems is hitting the same then it cant be the sights, its the shooter, study the chart above .

Also What ammo are you using? Just a reminder = Heavy ammo hits high , light ammo hits low. Those sights are regulated for 230 grain , What grain are you using?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts