Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Cabelas looking for anything reloading related....no primers at ALL, and they had no 9mm or 45acp bullets at all, and one or two powders that I'd never heard of before. :-\ So I wandered down the aisles, and they had the Lyman 49th reloading manual in hardcover for $40, but right next to it was the paperback version for $20. Hey, I'm not all that opposed to a paperback, if it's half the price, so I bought it. Looks like a terrific resource for all kinds of different bullets and powders.....much more comprehensive than the Hornady book. I'm very happy with the consolation prize. :D

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
The Lyman will be my next book to purchase to go with the others I have.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I almost bought the 9th edition Hornady book today. I did find some Fiochi 45acp at Cabelas this morning, just bought 100 rounds for $22.99 per 50. I need more .45acp brass and Ilike the GFL brass (primer pockets are a little tight but top notch otherwise) I bought the Lyman book awhile back, very happy with it.

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
Have been using the Lyman Reloading Manuals for years and highly recommend them as a first or only Reloading Manual. You did well!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
need to pick up that book myself, but on the topic of where to find supplies, least around here, my LGS has lots of powder and primers, brass and bullets are unfortunitly limited however, but he seems to always be able to get stuff within a week or two at most when you want it.

And is charging what it SHOULD cost, not what most places are wanting to charge these days. i recommend trying some of the shops in your area, even if you have to drive a bit to get to them. and as always the phone is your friend, no reason to drive when you can call ahead to see if they have it, and unlike a big store, the LGS actually know what they are selling and can tell you the truth.

·
Super Moderator
40,355 Posts
I'm a happy camper with .45 ACP right now (but we can always use more, eh?) I should also seek out a Lyman's manual.

Ammunition Metal

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Last week was a good week at Walmart for an early riser like me. This week sucked green weenies as nothing came in other than shotgun shells.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta and I spent about an hour on the phone this afternoon looking for some Hodgdon HP-38 and H110 gun powder. I finally found some H110 at the 17th place I called. Most were out of everything. I asked how much he had and he said they are only selling one pound per day per customer and if I wanted more to bring a friend. I'm going in the morning with my wife and pick up a couple pounds. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they weren't price gouging customers as the price was $22.00 a pound which is not bad according to what ammo is selling for these days. I've still got quite a bit of powder that I bought back before the crazy run on ammo and reloading supplies started but I like to replace what I've used before I start running low 'cause I know it's just going to get worse before it gets any better. I just wish now that I had bought a ton of it when it was easy to get.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have just one small local shop that sells reloading supplies. They are a little expensive but that works for me as I can only afford to buy small quantities from time to time. The hardest thing to get from them lately has been bullets. I was really excited a couple of weeks ago when I went in and they had 230 gr. FMJ for the .45! I haven't been able to get any for the 9mm in a long time.

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's 2 weeks later and I went again today. STILL no 9mm or 45acp bullets, no powder, no primers. :( Ended up buying a few boxes of Herters 7.62x39mm ammo.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was able to get 2 pounds of Hodgdon Longshot Powder to replace what I've loaded recently at a gun store north of Atlanta today. As I said in my earlier post they only sell one pound of gun powder a day per customer. The guy that answered the phone yesterday at the shop told me if I wanted more than one pound I'd have to bring a friend so my wife came with me and she purchased a pound also.

I decided to go with Hodgdon's Longshot brand of powder instead of my usual H110 since the Longshot only takes half as much powder per load so I can get twice as many rounds per pound with it. And it doesn't take long to use up a pound of powder for the 500 Mag using 43 Grs. per round. The Longshot powder only requires 23 Grs for a max. load.

The owner of Dave's Gun Room needs to be congratulated for not price gouging his customers during this crazy time with reloading supplies and ammo. His prices are only a couple of bucks higher than what I paid per pound 3 years ago when I was stocking up before all this crazy stuff today.

Also found some 500 Mag bullets at $45.99 for 150 bullets at the same store. They are Berry's 350 Gr. round shoulder plated bullets rated for a max. of 2000 fps. Not my favorite bullets but at .30 cents a bullet they're a lot better than paying over a buck a bullet for jacketed bullets just to plink with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.