Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I am in a store filling out the paperwork for the almighty Instant Background Check. I have been through it many times before. Usually takes 5 to 10 minutes for the store to get the phone call back, well at least it did two years ago the last time I did it. This time it took, get ready for it, a full HOUR. And apparently it was not just me, the very next poor chump after me had to wait just as long, and the store owner says that it has been getting steadily longer every single week. And not for a lack of employees on the other end of the phone, they believe lots of new people are being hired to handle the volume as they get greeted on the phone by a new rep every day. I was tempted to just go home and wait, except that I live 60 miles away, so I waited there in the store bored out of my mind. So I hear that they have up to three days to confirm or else grant the sale by default, I think in the future 3-day checks may become the norm.....

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Well, I never get bored being in my favorite gunshop for an extra hour....I might get in trouble with my other half if she knew where I was and why I was late! :)

I haven't bought a gun in three months, so I may be in for a shock the next go round!

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Wow, they have to call back. Florida they call it in and have an answer before they hang up. The longest it ever took for me was about 3 minutes on a busy Saturday where it seemed like there were 8 differnt gun shows that weekend in Florida.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I did notice that yesterday at Elk Castle Gun Shop and Range in Fort Worth while I was there having some MeProsights put on my XD9 SC. A guy had bought a lever rifle..beautiful, with case and all and ammo and we were both at the check out. I heard him say that he had a house that he had to go and show and that he would be back in 2 hrs or when they called him after he filled out his paperwork.

That is the first time I had ever seen that.

·
17,585 Posts
In Texas if you have a CHL the background check is waived. Reason enough to have one. This isn't true with all states, depends on if your state does an NICS check for a CHL. ATF refers to it as a "Permanent Brady Permit".

ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - Permit Chart

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Wow...didn't know things had gotten that far out of control..

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I've waited an hour at a gun show for my Mossy 500 right after 9-11 But I was born out of the country to military American citizens. I picked up a 10/22 at a local pawn shop and it took about 5 minutes to get it approved. Not bad. And I was in our LGS and they were selling and passing the paperwork just as fast as they could do it.

They used to sell 30 round P-Mags for high dollar now they are about $19 and they have a foot locker full of USGI mags for $13 or 5 for $50 not bad.

I've been surprised with the guy's that are buying high end AR's. I'm talking $1400 to $2400 good quality AR's. I was there yesterday and a guy in his sixties bought a Danial Defense with a really nice for grip plus a few extras. All done close to $2000 when he was done. He also had picked up a Sig he had SENT BACK FOR SOME WORK AND WAS TOLD TO BAD IT WAS OK. It was just where they used to hold the slide when they sprayed it with coating and the metal was exposed. And Sig just said its normal. I looked over his Sig and it had mill marks and untreated steel just like I have seen in some Taurus guns. I was surprised with what a Sig cost. And how he was treated.He also waited 3 weeks for them to say to bad and send it back. He was not real happy with the answer. But it was a Sig so I guess no rant on how cheep it was made. Vary typical of high prised gun owner's.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
In Texas if you have a CHL the background check is waived. Reason enough to have one. This isn't true with all states, depends on if your state does an NCIS check for a CHL. ATF refers to it as a "Permanent Brady Permit".
/QUOTE]

Permanent Brady Permit... I didn't know thats what they called it.... That name makes me feel sleazy... Like i need the brady bunch to ok my Second Amendment Purchases.... ( I know that's what NICS is... but still) I'm gonna take a shower! [email protected]*% brady bunch....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Another reason to get my carry permit, no more NICS check in SC.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Never attribute malice to utter incompetence.

Three days ago I bought a handgun and had no issues with my background check. I walked in, paid for my 4566 S&W, and walked out without a delay. What may be relevant to the discussion is that I purchased a handgun two days ago and not a long arm.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Count your blessings, guys and gals. In Rhode Island, the waiting period begins at noon of the day following your purchase and ends after noon a week later and having a concealed carry permit doesn't make it go any faster. There is an interesting wrinkle to the law. If, on the day you are allowed to pick up your gun, you see another gun or guns that you want to buy, you can take them with you that day, but the report of a multiple gun purchase is sent directly to the office of the Attorney General.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
You poor, mistreated guys!
Having to wait an hour or more to take your new firearm home!

But I wait four DAYS every time.
(The upside is that it keeps me from making impulse purchases, since I can always back out of the deal if I get buyer's remorse during the wait.)

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
AMEN... Fill out the paper work, hand them the chl and driver lic and you are gone!!!
Just bought an SR40c two weeks ago at the LGS. I pulled out the Drivers License and CHL and was told all they needed was the CHL. The sales guy said that the law had bee changed and only the CHL was required. That was a surprise. I know the Texas CHL and Drivers License are linked. It was pleasantly surprised at how easily it went but the sales guy said that I had to fill out the forms EXACTLY the way he wanted or I would have to start over again. Boxes must have an "X", not a check, all printing must be completely inside the box with no spillover; must use their pen and not mine; etc. WHATEVER! Things seem to have gotten a bit anal around here. Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The last gun I bought I just had to show them my DL and my CHP and I walked out ten minutes later. No backround check required.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
In Michigan CPL holders have no waiting period or have to have another background check, just present your CPL fill out the paperwork and out the door you go.....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
In Texas if you have a CHL the background check is waived. Reason enough to have one. This isn't true with all states, depends on if your state does an NCIS check for a CHL. ATF refers to it as a "Permanent Brady Permit".

ATF Online - Firearms - Brady Law / NICS - Permit Chart
That was the main reason I first got a CHL. I didn't want to screw around with the background check. I didn't actually start carrying a gun for almost two years after I got the license.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I didn't have any delays the last time I purchased a firearm.

·
Banned
893 Posts
lol, everybody makes fun of people from Alabama but we can get a background check done in about 90 seconds

·
Registered
205 Posts
KYbill said it before, in the great commonwealth of KY, all you need is your CCW, DL, and money and out the door you go!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts