Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to take delivery of my new Sig P-250 2Sum pack yesterday and my FFL asked me if I was still a fan of the Hi-Point pistol. We had discussed the Hi-Point .40s&w pistol he had been sitting on for awhile in his inventory a week or so earlier when I took delivery of a different firearm. He had it priced at $144.95 and had sold a couple at $149.95, but just couldn't get the last of his inventory to move along out the door. I told him to take it to the gun show over the weekend and if it didn't sell I would take another look at it.

So after doing paperwork on the Sigs and chewing the fat for a bit, the Hi-Point worked its way into the conversation and on to the table. So while the Sig 2-Sum pay have been the high point of my day, the Hi-Point was mine by the end of the day.

Yea, I know I have heard all the stories about the Hi-Point pistols, and yes they are ugly, heavy, huge, monsters of a pistol which can be a total pain to take down and field strip in the field. I know this because I have owned a few of them.

They are also extreemly dependable, carry a lifetime warranty, inexpensive and American Made (enter stars and stripes here, strike up the USMC Band, and add in a good ole Nascar style fly over).

In the end, I have a new .40s&w I can toss in my truck, not worry about scratching up or marring the finish, that when called upon whether at the farm/ranch for dirty varmin or in the city for even more nasty varmin I well covered and all for only $139.95.

What a deal!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,588 Posts
I just realized that for a person who says he doesn't really care for Poly/Plastic firearms I have been adding a few to my collection as of late.
You're sure adding a lot of Poly's for a guy who was going to reduce his holdings...........

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're sure adding a lot of Poly's for a guy who was going to reduce his holdings...........
True, very true!!! At least I am not adding any new caliber sizes that I will need to buy ammo for.

Well, kind of anyway...unless you count that 20 gauge Coach Gun I ordered yesterday. But, it is a wood stock..no poly!!! LOL

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You must have a very high paying job with all the firearms you've been buying!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You must have a very high paying job with all the firearms you've been buying!
Or know something the rest of us need to know...............hmmmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buy cheap, I'm tight when it comes to letting any cash see the light of day outside of my wallet. But, if I do it best be well worth it. And I use a mathmatical equation of
1 Colt = 3 Taurus and a Hi-Point as an exchange rate.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I have thought about getting a few full sized Hi Point in 9 mm along with a bunch of cheap steel cased ammo.

When the SHTF I will not only have extra firearms and plenty of ammo, I have something that I can trade for other things I need.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I buy cheap, I'm tight when it comes to letting any cash see the light of day outside of my wallet. But, if I do it best be well worth it. And I use a mathmatical equation of
1 Colt = 3 Taurus and a Hi-Point as an exchange rate.
From past post, looks like you've bought a whole bunch of firearms in the last year. We're jealous. How about some pictures or at least a list of your collection?

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
From past post, looks like you've bought a whole bunch of firearms in the last year. We're jealous. How about some pictures or at least a list of your collection?
I'd like to take a gander at a pic or two of your collection too, jonrjen. :cool:

Reactions: ice

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats on the Sig P250 2Sum and your High Point and your new Coach Gun, your going to be busy with all the pic's and range report's. Ya know what happen's with no pic's, well let's just say ya don't want MilPro coming to your house LOL Enjoy

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Not only will it do the job you are wanting it to do, it may also pull double duty that few think of. Hammer, boat anchor, ninja star...JK. Nice pick up. Thinking about grabbing one to do like you say, not worry about it.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on the Sig P250 2Sum and your High Point and your new Coach Gun, your going to be busy with all the pic's and range report's. Ya know what happen's with no pic's, well let's just say ya don't want MilPro coming to your house LOL Enjoy
I say send MilPro on over, I could use the help doing a little clean up on the newbies.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not only will it do the job you are wanting it to do, it may also pull double duty that few think of. Hammer, boat anchor, ninja star...JK. Nice pick up. Thinking about grabbing one to do like you say, not worry about it.
Word of advice on how to keep a Hi-Point in your collection, it is very easy...Don't look at it often!!!! If you look at the big ugly monster of a black poly heavy gun too often you will think "what the heck did I buy this for". Think of it as a tool, an items that feels the need to get a job done. Not unlike the hammer mentioned or the boat anchor, keep it in its place out of sight until it is needed and all will be right.

Keep it on your night stand then looking at it every night and you will reach the point of thinking "I hope a burglar doesn't break in and see the Hi-Point due to the embarressment factor of owning a Hi-Point".....LOL!!!!! Truely, Ugly is only skin deep!!!! For the price it is a thing of beauty. That last comment maybe a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have kind of done circles around Hi-Point pistols as well. Someday I too will have to buy one for use as a knock about gun.......

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you had any experience with a Hi-Point carbine?
No, not as of yet. But, I have been starting to look. From what I have heard they are pretty inexpensive carbines to own and just as dependable as the HP semi auto pistols. However that would make sense, it is basicly a pistol with a stock and extended barrel. I think when I do pick up the carbine it will be in a 9mm for keeping ammo cost on the lower side of the equation.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The carbines are a ton of fun....

I have a couple of the old "planet Of The Apes" models and they shoot the cheapest 9 mm I can find.

They gobble steel case like they were M&Ms.

My wife used to shoot my KelTec Sub2000 in 9mm. One day she was in my workshop and saw the Hi-points. She asked to try one of them, ended up loving it, and hasn't shot the Sub2000 since.

Don

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Have you had any experience with a Hi-Point carbine?
My son has the carbine in .45 acp. It is a hoot to shoot. Been very reliable. I have the the C9 and its reliable (might have to tweak the mags) and accurate, but fugly. You can run em dirty and abuse the heck out of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts