Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after an awesome trip to the range yesterday I brought my 24/7 G2 home and started cleaning it. While using a brass wire brush with some hoppes no 9 I ran across the extractor and I noticed that it seemed to get a little brighter so I scrubbed it a bit and the whole thing became a dull brass color. Then I wiped t with a patch with some hoppes and it went back to being almost completely black again.

Is this expected? What is the extractor made of?

I've included a couple pics that show the difference.

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
My PT 145 extractor is black, but I've never used a wire brush on it because I wouldn't want to take the chance of scratching the outside of the slide. I have to think that perhaps you were seeing a reaction of the solvent to the powder or brass residue on the extractor. I am not sure of the material used in the manufacture of the part, but I would think that MIM couldn't be used in that application due to the stresses and spring action needed in that function.

Perhaps someone else will come along who has experienced the color change and can enlighten you more. You could also call customer service, but be aware that they have some peak volume times. Mondays are probably the worst and they have extended their hours into the evening now.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
its a chemical reaction sort of like copper turns green and silver turns black. that type of metal changes from exsporure to air and solvent
if you are worried call taurus
but i dont see where it would hurt any thing still would not scratch it up could weaken the metal
jhp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts