Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suprised that this section showed up when i logged in and is invisible as a guest.

No complaints really about Taurus in general. I've used Taurus and Rossi products in the past with good results.
Had a 65 and a 85--no complaints except from hard core s&w fanatics.
Will say that as an leo for quite a while, i have seen more taurus snubies used as off-duty/back-ups than anything else including smiths and kel-tec's. Knew one officer that for over 10 yrs packed an old taurus 92 with wood grips and swore he would never pack anything else.

Not many folks pack a taurus duty weapon in this area. Most officer furnished weapons are glocks or 1911's around here. The 24/7 seems interesting and part of the reason i am here is to read up more on it especially in 45. Main curriosity about it right now is the ribber style grip. I've literally have worn out pachmyers on revolvers before so i am kind of wondering about wear on these built-in non-replaceable grip frames.

The 1911 taurus has also got my attention.

I've read of the complaints about customer service and my only thought there is taurus is probably out-growing its ability to handle the increased repairs in poportion to the increased sales. Stands to reason that if you sell more units then you eventually will get in more repairs---just percentages working as in if sales increase 20% in the past two years the repairs should naturally increase 20% just from shear volume of sales. If they are still running the same sevice from 5 years back then they will get swamped.

I've seen my share of problem smiths, colts, dan wessons, ----even dare i say it--Rugers----(my absolute favorite guns) Massed produced products in today's world tend to sometimes slip through the cracks. Given time and oppturnity, a good company will make things right. From what i've read, taurus has been making things right..........

This may be in the wrong section. if so---my appologies.

·
32,614 Posts
No, you got the right section though this could be posted at a number of boards.

As you have very good points there is no reason to move this nor change anything.

One of our staff some time ago pointed out that most of the Customer Service and turnaround times are really not that much different from one another.

He quoted the turnaround times for many of the makers as well as service given or not by other brand name companies. Some info was of personal experience or a compilation of data from other gun owners from the internet and other sources.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey man,

I have the 24/7 pro in double stacked 45. I love it. Had a magazine problem and issue with using cheap ammo (failure to fire). Now that the mag problem is fixed (sent in for replacement) and I'm using blazer ammo it's flawless.

Good question about the grips. Because they're made of the same high durability polymer as the frame I don't really think you would have any problems with excessive wear. It's not like a soft rubber grip that can wear out quickly. Now if you have a hand like sandpaper and you stroke it like The One Ring 24/7 then it'll probably show wear. With regular or even excessive duty use I dont think that will be a concern.

The grip is actually one of the top reasons I got this model over a 92 or 101. The grip is rock solid, almost like glue in my hands. I love it and it's comfortable. I've put 50 rounds one-handed through it at the range and I was fine with it. If you really think it would be an issue you can always get a rubberized grip to go over it or use grip tape, but I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

If you're in the houston area I'd be happy to meet up with you so you can get some trigger times.

BTW, you might want to put some trigger time in on one before you buy one anyway. The trigger is a bit wonky until you get used to it. It's often described as "gritty" and I haven't heard of anyone having much success getting it cleaned up at a smith yet. I suppose that's the nature of the beast with the SA/DA setup. After about 100 rounds through it though I was quite happy with the trigger and even the sights which threw me for a loop at first. I truly believe this is one of the finest pistols ever made.

The OSS model might be a good service weapon too with the match grade barrel, metal recoil rod and decocker/safety. I was going to upgrade to OSS when it came out but now i'm going to wait till the 809 comes out next year with the exposed hammer.

see my signature for video reviews if you haven't already seen them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. Houston is a long, long way off for me bit i appreciate the offer. I too have been reading up on the new tauri coming soon models and am quite interested along with the FN pistol in 45. Still waiting for that taurus .22 that they started to bring out about 10 (?) years back---a copy apparently of the colt huntsman!
Taurus does however have one of the best (cringe) gun locks out there on the hammer. Hate gun locks and despise them but that is at least a good location for them. Heard that Taurus actually offered to freely share the technology of the locks and others declined their offer....don't know if there is any truth to it.

·
32,614 Posts
Taurus had a short run of .22lrf pistols called the PT 922 in 2004.Guess they didn't sell too many of them. The internet was rife with negative stories about the 922 for the most part, but how true they were is open for debate. Could be true about feed and function problems, but there is no definitive source for those.

The market is glutted with rimfire pistol models, so competion may have killed it from the get-go. Add to the fact Taurus brings out new models constantly, needs factory floor space for production, and one has a recipe for certain models to be discontinued.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts