Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not quite a "hot or not" thread

Hey all Im getting my CHL within the next week and over the last couple months waiting time for my appointment I have been carrying around my property and the house just to get the feel of it. I definitely plan on carrying "hot" but the question I have is this:

I have and will be carrying a 24/7 G2 and considering its a DA/SA trigger should I carry with the safety off? I would think that the extra step in that situation where seconds count and the brain misses the little things like taking the safety off it would be the best idea but I'm just not exactly sure. I want it to be the best balance of safety and efficiency as possible.

Feedback (especially that of others that carry the 24/7 G2) is much appreciated.

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
I would practice releasing the safety and get used to that. Hot carry can be a dangerous practice without the safety engaged.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I always have one in the tube. I have trained my muscle memory to make drawing from the holster and flicking off the safety one movement. It really is second nature now.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
My EDC doesn't have a safety and you get used to it. That being said I would carry my Millennium Gen one with it loaded ready to go safety off with out a second thought. But they both have long trigger pulls.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

Reactions: rpcortina

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Every morning and night as I place and remove my PT140 from the holster I take the safety off and back on. Muscle memory is important, after a while you won't even realize your doing it kinda like tying your shoes. Good luck!

Reactions: btleslie

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I prefer to carry with no safety on as well. I have also decided to train to turn the safety off as I draw. You just never know when that safety may get bumped on and catch you off guard. I now find myself trying to flip off the non-existing safety on my TCP since I have been training more with the PT-145.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I personally would carry hammer down with one in the chamber and no safety. I carry my LC9 without the safety on, one less thing to go wrong and people have been carrying DA revolvers that have no safety for over 100 years.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Personally I would carry it in SA with the safety on and practice that way. This is because I prefer the lighter trigger with the SA as opposed to the longer trigger of the DA.

If you are smooth, quick and accurate with the DA and want to go that way with the safety off that is up to you. Main thing is practice how you're going to carry. If you change up at a future date practice the new way until your muscle memory forgets the old way. JMO

Reactions: oldbull360

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I carry my Bersa Thunder hot with the safety off. I've never felt unsafe carrying that way.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I also have a 24/7 G2. I've got one in the pipe with the safety on - the tiny thumb twitch it takes to flick the safety off only takes less than 1/2 of a second and it's easy to do it while the gun is on its way up from holster to aiming point. I prefer to err on the side of safety - might make me a chicken in some people's eyes but I'll take it if I have to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all of the input. As stated I normally carry in DA with one in the pipe and the safety on. At night I take the chambered round out replace the mag engage the safety and it goes on my nightstand. I do this because I have kids and though I don't think I would ever not hear them I know that they would have to mess with it a lot to be able to chamber a round. I'll most likely continue this way and continue training in the same manner.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I prefer to carry with no safety on as well. I have also decided to train to turn the safety off as I draw. You just never know when that safety may get bumped on and catch you off guard.
Absolutely! If one carries a gun with a safety lever, practice flicking it off even if you don't keep the safety on. I've seen during hunting trips (while walking/stalking) at least two missed shots due to the safety being bumped on while the shooter was a safety off kind of shooter. Gun comes up, trigger won't pull, missed shot. That would be horrible in a self defense situation.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
mine cocked and locked thats what the safety is for on my 1911

jhp

·
Registered
612 Posts
So...it's mostly what you're comfortable with, and/or practice for? The 809 can be "cocked and locked" with manual safety on. Or one in the chamber, hammer down, DA on first shot (which is how I normally carry). I've always been worried I'd forget/fumble with the safety. I guess I could forget and still fumble with it? Something to practice/work on?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I always do a safety sweep when I draw and my firearm has no external safety.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
This just happened to me last night:

I put my gun/holster down on the desk along with my keys - hat etc.
As I started to walk away I noticed it looked like my pt111 was sitting high in the holster (Blackhawk 5). When I investigated farther I saw the holster doubled over right in front of the trigger. Granted this is not an expensive holster, but It does the job (IWB).
It brought to mind the story linked here about a gent who sat down in his car and noticed his was ridding high. So he pushed it back down.
BANG!
He had a leather holster that was older and folded just in front of the trigger. When he pushed down, the edge of the holster pushed the trigger back. It fired a round through the floor of his car.

If I carried hot (Which I don't) I would always use the safety.
Imagine a lawyer asking:
Mr Jones why don't you use the safety provided by the manufacturer?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts