Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wife drug me to Ikea(furniture store) and as we are walking up to the doors I see the dreaded sign, 30.06 stating I must leave my gun in the car. I see no reason for it other than they just don't approve of guns and or gun owners. I made sure they understood that I would not be coming back for any reason and that there are plenty of other stores to buy household items at that are ok with me bringing my companion with me.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Good for you, friend.

Let them do their PC thing and go broke. :)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If they weren't told, they'll never know. I don't blame you. Always thought it looked like a hippie store to me

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good on you for letting them know! We gots to stick together!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
IKEA has a long history of being anti gun .

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
always thought they were highly overpriced anyway. just get the same stuff from walmart or target, it all came from the same china plant.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
IKEA has the most overpriced crap anywhere! Now there's another reason not to frequent their establishment!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Answer - who owns IKEA?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, just a sign is not legally enforceable. At least not here in Pennsylvania under
Pennsylvania gun laws.

If you have a gun permit and the constitution is still in effect, you can conceal
carry regardless of the sign. If they do realize you have a concealed weapon and
ask you to leave, then you have to leave.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well, just a sign is not legally enforceable. At least not here in Pennsylvania under
Pennsylvania gun laws.

If you have a gun permit and the constitution is still in effect, you can conceal
carry regardless of the sign. If they do realize you have a concealed weapon and
ask you to leave, then you have to leave.
If it was a properly posted "30.06" sign, it is indeed legally enforceable. That and the "51%" sign are the only 2 in Texas that are.

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I am imagining the scene when a criminal holds up the store using a firearm. The clerk closes his eyes, shakes his head No, and points to the sign.

The next scene is the criminal leaving in shame with his head down, because he didn't read the sign first.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In CT, there is no specific sign needed. Any hand written sign in .5 typeface font is legally enforceable... and will cost you your permit and bail for violating.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
yea, the IKEA here in the ATL is in a not so great part of the city. I had a friend that was held up walking to his car from the IKEA. Granted, he was parked on the street, and not in the IKEA parking garage, but that doesn't really matter now, does it? Evidently, the two perps just need a little cash and a ride, as the his car was found by Atlanta's finest about 15 miles away. Good thing is nobody was harmed.

I won't be shopping at IKEA either.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Pennsylvania gun laws.....

Indiana is the same .... signs DO NOT carry weight of law !!!

They can ask you to leave ..... if you don't .... at that point it becomes trespassing !

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really don't understand how in some states a simple sign by a property owner
has force over a legally obtained and issued carry permit by the police department.

Here are the states that proper signage has force:

Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska,[SUP]
[/SUP]Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia,
and Wisconsin all allow private businesses to post a specific sign (language and format vary by state)
prohibiting concealed carry, violation of which, in some of these states, is grounds for revocation of
the offender's concealed carry permit and criminal prosecution.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
At least as far as down here, the store is private property, open to the public at the owners' discretion. Now, they can put up a "gun buster" sign or other posting, but would you be breaking the law by carrying in there? No, not at all. If you are outed by the store while there, should you bow up and make a scene, expounding on your rights granted by your CHL? No, I'm thinking not.

My main rule I keep in the back of my mind is: If I somehow found my what into a business like that and am noticed and called out, I am simply going to say, "I'm sorry, I forgot that I had that with me", and make my way out without a fuss.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's what the South Carolina laws is on the subject:

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 23-31-220.

Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.
Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon
upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.
The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating “No Concealable Weapons Allowed” shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons
not be brought upon the premises or into the work place.

A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged
with a violation of Section 16-11-620.

In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this
paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year.

The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the
posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be
satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal
sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit
holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall
uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter
with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree
angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom
of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs
contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;
(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall
uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in
diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper
right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose
circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts