Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...:85:...it's been just plain stupid hot, over 100F most of the day and the humidity is over 75%. Luckily, a heavy t-storm is comin' through so with the hail and the sun finally gone down, it's plunged to a nipply 88F. It reminded me of how when I was a kid and on hot days like this, the firemen would open several fire plugs around town so the kids could cool off in the spray. I can't remember the last time I've seen or even heard of that being done anywhere so I assume it's no longer permitted, likely for liability reasons...:huh:...anyone know for sure?

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,948 Posts
Yeah, they quit that. Something about old guys and speedos chasing the kids off. Kids complained they couldn’t tell if the old guys were actually wearing a speedo.

:shocked:

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Warm Spell

Today was probably the hottest day of the year and the hottest in a couple summers.

We own an old home that was built 1946/47 and was most likely a summer cottage for the Chicago crowd after the war. I know for fact that it is not very well insulated and there is no central air. So one window a/c and one portable 12000btu unit it didn't keep up. At 7am this morning it was 77* in here and by noon to 3pm it was maintaining 80*. Then the full sun hit the west side of the house and was soon up to 85*, at 9pm and the sun finally down the temp is falling slowly and I can feel the humidity going down.

Anyways I'm sitting here in a pair of gym type shorts and no shirt. I was teasing the wife that I was going to close the blinds, lock the doors and sit naked and she piped back that if I did tat she was going to take pictures and post them to the forums for all my friends to see. This woman has no sense of humor! Also I am just 5 houses from the lake yet they close the beaches at 10pm and will ticket of caught after closing.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
The lake must be cooler than the air. Take that lawn-chair down in the water to the three-foot line, take a cooler of Old Milwaukee, and spend the afternoon underwater.

Let her photograph THAT!

·
22,304 Posts
And here I was feeling sorry for myself; it touched 90 in Santa Fe today. With 22% humidity. :cool: In general, I'd rather have 59 degrees and clear, but in weather like today a siesta in a recliner is niiiiiice.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
...:85:...it's been just plain stupid hot, over 100F most of the day and the humidity is over 75%. Luckily, a heavy t-storm is comin' through so with the hail and the sun finally gone down, it's plunged to a nipply 88F. It reminded me of how when I was a kid and on hot days like this, the firemen would open several fire plugs around town so the kids could cool off in the spray. I can't remember the last time I've seen or even heard of that being done anywhere so I assume it's no longer permitted, likely for liability reasons...:huh:...anyone know for sure?
Only 75% humidity?

Man, are you lucky!:p

It's 77 and 93% humidity at 10:50pm. My glasses are fogging up just walking out onto the porch.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
9:45PM Still 85* with humidity at 84% and the winds are calm. Heat index is still at 98*, At one point the heat index here reached 118*

The lake here is very shallow around the shores. In most places you can go 200' into the lake and not be waist deep. Water temp is probably about 75 right now until you get deeper.
Madison Wis. had a sub-station blow up today and thousands lost power! No ac.

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
I've heard about heat and humidity like that, rumors 'bout it's so thick, you have to cut it with a knife just to breath. I'm curious - what knife works best?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
City I live in USED to do that, but now they have opened the "Civic Aquatic Center", and the admission is (REVENUE ENHANCEMENT)

Rates2019 Boro Resident
Adult (Ages 18+)$9.50 $5.50
Youth (Ages 3 &older)$9.50 $5.50
Children under 3 yrs of ageFreeFree
Senior Citizen (Ages 60+)$6.50 $3.50
Twilight (after 5 PM)$6.50 $3.50
Chaperone/Non-Swimmer $5.50$3.

Days / Events-3rd Thursday of the month$5.50 $4.50-
Teen / Adult Night$5 $3Discounted Weekend Pass(Saturday / Sunday, 1-8 PM) -Sat/Sun Adult &Youth$16$9-Sat/Sun Sr. Citizen$10$6Discount Pass Booklets-Book of 10 passes$85 (savings of $1/off each admission -$10 total savings)-Book of 15 passes $120 (savings of $1.50 off each admission -$22.50 totalsavings)

And the thing is, you have to make a trip to the borough hall with a sheaf of documentation to get your "Borough Resident Status'"verified before you can get the discount at the gate.

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
God bless the people who stuck it out and settled the south in the days before AC!

We’re in the midst to 90°+ and 85%+ humidity.

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
My sympathies to all. GhostHorse and I will stay here in dry-heat New Mexico and try to make it through the summer. Anyone care to join us, you're quite welcome.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'll take the two months of heck we call the Monsoon down here in Phoenix before I ever get into another 90 degree/90% humidity day ever again. Ten months of absolutely beautiful weather, no shoveling snow in winter, rain in small doses, what more could I want?

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Actually the parka would work as it insulates from the outside environment.

·
Registered
18,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its 70 with 96% humidity here now, though it's supposed to be 90 with a real feel of 102 for the high later. The rain cooled it off last night but more t-storms are on the way and there's already a lot of flooding. The main road (US62) between here and my garage is flooded and rumor has it that part of it is completely washed out. All the other routes I could take to get there are also closed somewhere along their length for the same reason so I may not even be able to get to work on Monday...:unsure:...sotra' havin' mixed feelings about that. It wasn't that there was such a great amount of rainfall, there's just nowhere for it to go. With the ground being already over saturated from all the previous rains, the hills aren't soaking up any of it and just acting like funnels.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
98 here yesterday with a heat index of 115. Humidity was the rough part, especially with lung problems. Did't get below 80 until after 01:00 this morning and now already heading back up. Staying inside if at all possible until it cools down.

·
Registered
18,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like it hot. The hotter, the better. I never complain March-November. Winter is the worst.
Yep...:wink:...be fightin' ice and frostbite here in a few months.

Reactions: Kevin Keith

·
22,304 Posts
As soon as the sun went down, it cooled down enough that my wife and I sat out by a fire in our back fireplace. :cool:

Right now, it's 7AM, 62 degreed, and 48% humidity. Fantastic.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts