Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my Die machinist in Oregon. For the past 2 years, I've been gearing up to be self sufficient in the Reloading/Casting/Swaging world for the 3 major calibers I shoot. With this, the final set of dies he is shipping day after tomorrow, I will be able to produce jacketed rounds of my basic calibers. .224 for the AR15; 45 acp for my handguns, and 30 caliber(.308) for the rest of my rifles. 300AAC BO, 30-30, 30 carbine, .308, 30-06 and lastly my personal favorite my DPMS AR 10.

I will in the very near future, start various threads or continue this one with step by step procedures and pictures in the production of the above. For all the reloaders here, samples will be available providing you relate your experiences(good or bad) with personal reviews. I firmly believe in being self-sufficient to the extent that I am a serious prepper and this is just a further manifestation of that attitude. I will soon reach that magic age of 70. I think everyone should have a interest that will keep them entertained and out of trouble in their sunset years. ..................................TO BE CONTINUED.............................................

Bill

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Then I guess you'll be able to make your very own M855 equivalent not an armor piercing bullet?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
We will be watching for your interesting reports!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you going to make your jackets? Lead wire or cast cores? Corbin dies and bullet press or reloading press?
My first die set 2 years ago was this one: 22 cal (.224))

Brian Thurner (known as BTSniper on CastBoolits.com is an accomplished machinist and made the .22 from 22lr set of dies which consists a de-rimmer which essentially takes a .22", 22lr expended shell and unfolds the rim, turning it into basically a cup, ready for a 47 grn piece of lead which is swaged from either a slightly heavier cast piece of lead, or a cut piece of lead wire, 0.1875"in diameter in a bleed die which bleeds off the excess lead. This piece of lead is then swaged in another die, called a Core Swage, which expands the cup to about 0.2225" . The open ended cup is turned over an introduced into a point forming die which, through compression causes the brass of he open ended cup to low into the pointed form we know of as bullets, and further expands the resultant bullet to 0.224" ready to be seated in the 5.56 or .223 shell. This process produces one 55 grain bullet .

Brian made my dies. Richard and Dave Corbin are great Die an Swaging equipment providers, as is Dr. Larry Blackmon. These die makers are for those of us not made of money. Each caliber set is now running in the neighborhood of $1400.00 to $1800.00. Back 2 years ago(yes that long a lead time for quality) when I ordered and bought, they were running about $800.00. If I ever want to sell my dies, I can probably get around $2000.00 a caliber. They're that much in demand.

NOW, some of the die manufacturers for Benchrest quality dies can run much as $5,000.00 per set and $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 per die. Carbide dies made by industry giants like Rorschach, Simonson, and Detsch will produce match quality bullets capable of 1/4th inch groups at 100 yards. My eyes can't see that close and my guns can't shoot that close...................................to be continued.........................................

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
So glad you are sharing your information on TA! I will be following closely.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
WOW!
Expensive to make your own jacketed bullets.
Compared to casting.
Cheap compared to commercial.
Too rich for me.
Going to track this anyway, just for the info.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have dies and presses from several different makers. Use rim fire hulls for some jackets from .14 caliber to 6mm. Also use jacket cups from Berger, Sierra, etc. One thing we do different. I seat the core in the jacket and seating brings jacket to full bullet diameter. Then form point on rifle and some handgun. For some handgun bullets using a cup jacket or gas check the bullet is formed and pointed in one stroke. Have not made boat tail of either type in years, all flat base now and open point for rifle.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, to swage bullets, first you need swaging presses. Here's what I decided to get from a man named Tim or as he is known on the Cast Boolits Website U.P. North: This press from it's receipt(first picture) throughpainting(second picture) to it's assembly into final form(3rd picture) will allow me to squeeze/form brass and lead into usable projectiles for my various rifles and handguns.

Enjoy:

PICT1672.jpg

PICT1675.jpg

HPIM5135.jpg

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW!
Expensive to make your own jacketed bullets.
Compared to casting.
Cheap compared to commercial.
Too rich for me.
Going to track this anyway, just for the info.
Yeah, I thought so too at first, then it became impossible to get .223 or components. I continued to shoot my AR while several friends came begging for the bullets to keep their brass going. Suddenly became a lot more attractive. Now after my 3rd thousand of the .224 it's becoming just about break even. Remember I got my dies when they were about40 percent of today's prices. After building that 3K, at about 85 to 100 per K, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Each 1000 saves me about 160.00 You always have a starting point and then time seems to amortize your cost for you. BTSniper has a call sign, He ends each of his posts with: "Swage On"

Bill

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I watched some of his stuff on cast booklets site very interesting but until now I had no idea what it cost to get started. Good machine work is expensive I will be setting on the sidelines on this one for a while I will be following your posts though

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Too rich for my blood, has anyone tried the Hi-Tek coating at 2500-2800 fps?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts