Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheriff: one dead, two injured after Slaton home shooting | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal sixty nine year old man came home to find an intruder and a shootout began!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My prayers for the gentleman and the lady in the hospital.

My disdain for the deceased who chose to break and enter into another man's home and then fire upon the homeowner and the lady.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
That incident occured in a house I owned and sold in 1984. Slaton, being a small town where everyone knows everyone else is reason for me to have interest in this. Even though I moved out side of town when the house sold. I'm not sure yet, but may know some of the current owners family. I'm anxious to find out who the dead man is. Think I'll go into town today and mingle, as the townspeople usually know more than the news hounds initially release.

I hope the victims recover fully physically, and the best they can mentally. And as for the dead guy...well... bye.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smokewagon, being as you are very familiar with the home, what would have been the longest shot inside the house?

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
The living room is approximately 25 to 30 feet long. From one side of the living room, across it and down a hallway, probably more. I don't know this as fact, but just what I get from a couple of phone conservations, the deadman fired multiple shots, while the homeowner only fired once. To little reliable details yet.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Wow Smoke, thats a connection!

I'll be interested to hear what you get from the Coffee shop/greasy spoon joints.. they are so much better than the news!

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the 68 year old homeowner fired only one shot, he apparently was pretty steady and took his time and got off the best shot.

We will probably never know, but I'd like to know the handguns involved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just from the sketchy details, it sounds like the homeowner has true grit to get a well placed shot off after being critically injured himself. Praying the victims make a quick recovery.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
"Will" and "Skill" wins gunfights; looks like our 69 year old possessed both.

Both Wild Bill Hickock & Wyatt Earp where supposed to have said, "The man with deliberation" will win the gun fight.

Prayers go out for him and the lady for a speedy recover.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I thought I read that he was hit in the head with a hammer then shot and he still got off a kill shot.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
My outing today didn't turn up much, other than a name (RH). Didn't know him. Supposedly worked for, or with the homeowner.

When I moved from that house, there was a floor safe, and I can't help but wonder if this guy knew about that in some way. Theft of firearms was mentioned. I got that the burglar lived across the street and down about a half block or so, at one time or another. They apparently were aquainted.

There must of been a struggle, making the incident up close and personal. Just my thinking, but the homeowner, may not have been armed when he entered the home.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shoot until the threat is gone! Melcher learned that lesson well!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
A sidebar in that printout identified the dead shooter is Robert Holt, a drifter the owner let stay in the house out of the goodness of heart, even when items went missing. Some payback.
I hope the owner and his lady recover soon.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
We are living in dangerous times now. Even if an individual is compassionate to others sometimes they will urn around and bite the hand that fed them. I hope the victims both are able to recover completely. And for the rest of us be cautious and ever alert.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
As the 68 year old homeowner fired only one shot, he apparently was pretty steady and took his time and got off the best shot.

We will probably never know, but I'd like to know the handguns involved.
Holt (bad guy) used a .22 and a .25, taken from Melcher's (good guy) home. Melcher armed himself with a 9mm, with a magazine capacity of 18 rounds. Melcher's gun was found after the fact, with the magazine emptied. I don't know the make or models of any of these yet.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holt (bad guy) used a .22 and a .25, taken from Melcher's (good guy) home. Melcher armed himself with a 9mm, with a magazine capacity of 18 rounds. Melcher's gun was found after the fact, with the magazine emptied. I don't know the make or models of any of these yet.
Wow, that's a lot of drywall repair!

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
I'm told, the refrigerator, and other objects also took hits, not to mention the walls.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok. With those detail in, add a +1 to the pro column of the Hicap autoloaders vs revolvers. Dang. That is scary stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts