Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a real cutie a couple of days ago - a Savage Model 72 Crackshot 22 lr falling block rifle with octagonal barrel form the 1970's. It was pretty dusty and dirty and DH cleaned it and oiled it up for me and we took it to the range last night! Boy - did I have fun! I didn't even let DH shoot it more than once - I wanted to shoot it!! It is a single shot kids rifle, I would suspect, but it's light enough for me to easily hold and I think the falling block mechanism is just cool. It doesn't have the greatest trigger in the world, and it shoots way high (even after we removed the rear sight elevator!), so I need to adjust my "Kentucky windage" a bit - but it shoots to center line. Since it's a single shot, I can't blow thru ammo very fast, which is good since we haven't been able to find any 22 lr . Just wanted to share with you. I've got it all packed up to take back to the range tonight for more fun!

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun

Gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Yeah, when my dad gave me mine I complained a little it wasn't a repeater. Well not complained really, let's say I "mentioned" it. All he said was "if you learn to shoot all you need is one shot". And you're right, I didn't spend a whole lot on ammo.

·
Registered
37,581 Posts
I have a Model 26 Crackshot by Stevens (not savage -stephens ) just stevens.
Have no idea hiow old it is,I found the lil rifle in a Rental house back in the late 60's-early 70's that me a couple of buddies were paid to paint, working part time as firemen/policmen often do.
it wasn't new then!
It is chmabered in 22 Long rifle so that would date it some, has a the round barrel not octagon, other than that looks just like the #72 crackshot, has a broken fire pin spring and came complete with "Joey'S" name engraved in the stock, actually its in pretty good condition other than the the engraving.
I use it as ballast in the gun safe!
cute lil rifles!

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a good 2nd night at the range with the little Savage Crackshot - I think I've got a better handle on the sights. Everything was still center line vertically - just need to work on the up/down - maybe a ghost sight on the rear would help? It's these old geeze-ette eyes of mine...

Anyway - I didn't know about the Favorite, chicharrones, it sure does look like they are similar - but it doesn't appear that the Favorite is on the web site any longer!

Anyway - it sure was fun and again I only went thru 50 rounds tonight! I just love the way the falling block mechanism works - it's cool! Ya'll -thanks for sharing your memories. Happy shooting!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Not sure what the difference is between a Crackshot and a Favorite, but the Favorite name was only used pre-war (and I ain't talking Vietnam). Sometimes they are also seen as a take down gun with a thumbscrew on the bottom of the receiver, often called a "bicycle rifle".

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what the difference is between a Crackshot and a Favorite, but the Favorite name was only used pre-war (and I ain't talking Vietnam). Sometimes they are also seen as a take down gun with a thumbscrew on the bottom of the receiver, often called a "bicycle rifle".

Now I have another piece to look out for the Favorite - a take down falling block piece would be GREAT to have! Honestly, some times the hunt for a firearm is just as entertaining as the shooting! glenwolde - thanks ya'll for the info!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,581 Posts
MY #26 Crackshot has the take down feature!
i didn't mention it because atually I thought i remembered all the crackshots being this way??
but then you know how old mans memory works!

·
Registered
37,581 Posts
Anyway - it sure was fun and again I only went thru 50 rounds tonight! I just love the way the falling block mechanism works - it's cool! Ya'll -thanks for sharing your memories. Happy shooting!
And now you see why the Ruger #1 & #3 as well as the Thompson Contender pistol is so much enjoyment to shoot!
just add to your rifle and enjoyment an accuracy from the 3 above that is jsut outstanding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.