Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new PT1911SS. Started out for the feed store this morning, and decided to take my new PT1911 along in the console. I put in a loaded mag (8 rounds) and racked the slide, with the intention of topping off the mag. Nose dive. Tried the other mag. Nose dive. I've shot this gun at the range with this same ammo with no problems. Only difference today was, that I loaded the mags with the slide closed. Sling shot the slide, no go without two or three tries. Then the bullet was set back. After looking at the cartridge position, I beleive that this would occur with ball or hollowpoint. My ammo is hollowpoint. Any body experience this? I know its a mag thing. What to do short of new mags? Not really a big thing, since this is a range gun for now. But I might want to carry it some day.

Oh yeah, it is only the first round doing this.

Suggestions please. :angel:

Registered
Mine does this as well on the first two rounds out of the magazine with JHPs. Even with a new Kimber mag. My solution for carry is to chamber a JHP and the first two to be FMJ and then back to JHP. I would like to resolve this issue as well.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site mcarroll1987. :wave:

We'll figger it out...

Registered
Try this,when you are done loading the 8 rounds of ammo,either ballor hollowpoints,give the back of the mag a nice tap on the palm of your hand and then put the loaded mag into the 1911 and rack the slide. I took mine back down to the pawn shop my friend owns and that is what he did to all 8 of my mags and the hps feed real well. The ball ammo,I never had problems feeding them in my Taurus 1911. richgp100z,Omaha,Ne.

Administrator

Registered
Smoke, I had the same issue with my SS model at about 1100 rds. Used mags from my blued PT1911 and several McCormicks with same results. I started hitting the base plate on my palm and then doing the tap on the rear of the mag. It seemed to settle the rounds into the correct position and hence no FTF's. Sometimes a 1911 can be as fickle as a 12 year old.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm convinced it's a mag spring issue. May try some stouter springs or maybe different mags. I load a mag with eight rounds, tap, shake, rattle and roll, insert mag. When I pull the slide back, the first round is already angled down. This is only with eight, as seven will go fine.

Registered
After I went to the range the other day I had the same problem with my p-345 Ruger. It is definetly aggervating, it does appear that the springs are weak, but thats the way they came out of the box. and it is only the 8 rounders, the 7 rounders are fine. :(

Administrator
mcarroll1987 said:
As for the Extractor? Its a fail to feed not a fail to eject. Any other ideas?
As the Extractor MUST reliably slip over the Cartridge Rim as the Cartridge Case Head seats into the Slide Boltface as the Cartridge goes into the Chamber during the Feeding Cycle, the Extractor IS involved!

I've done Extractor Tuning on a number of 1911's for FEEDING Problems!
Take a serious look at it!

Super Moderator
I've had the same problem and got a Novak mag and McCormick and same thing even with FMJ it will load just fine with the mag release but try and slingshot it and jam every time.

Take the spring out of the Taurus and compare it to the Novak there is no comparison as the Novak is twice as strong

Administrator
mcarroll1987 said:
Extractor doesn't even touch it. Please don't take me for stupid because I have three post.
I certainly did not take you for that. Please remember that your pistol is not the only one involved in this thread, and that by participating in this post, have asked for opinions on what MAY be causing the problem.

I have referenced problems/conditions, common to 1911's, that COULD explain the problem. Not being able to actually see the Pistol's involved, is limiting.

As 45 Forever has noted, his Novak Magazine has tougher magazine springs in them and he no longer has that problem. My earlier recommendation of Wolff +5% Magazine Springs is also a good way to go, unless you wish to buy new magazines. I recommend and use Wilson 8 and 10 rounders. I've used Chip McCormicks, but ended up putting Wolff Springs in them, after a period of heavy use.

And if that does not solve the problem, THEN you might want to consider having your Extractor tuned! :D

Registered
I have this issue sometimes also even with FMJ's. I replaced my Taurus mags with CM's and still the same thing. It isn't every time but still it happens enough for me to not trust the firearm for daily carry. I will try tapping my mags and see if that helps. At the range I have fired JHP's without a single issue. It seems like this issue just appeared all of a sudden with mine. Cool thread thanks for posting.
Doc

Registered
Well it is nosediving into the frames feed ramp not the barrels, so it doesn't get the chance yet to go near the extractor. I understand what your saying but its a pre-extractor issue. Before it even gets near it.

I rather not go and spend 100 on new magazines to resolve this issue. I feel the factory magazines need to work. I have a nice box of ammo now that this problem has ruined because it has pushed the bullets farther into the case.

Is it normal for the feed ramp on the frame to have a bit of distance from the barrel ramp? I feel like if the frames ramp was angled more towards the barrel this would get rid of this problem.

I will post pictures later.

Has anyone contacted taurus to this issue?

Super Moderator
I understand that there is a spring issue with the 1911 and was told by Taurus that they would have the new mags in by August so I'm waiting until September to send mine back as I have a few other brands. Taurus said to just send the mags in when ready and they would replace them for free. Thats all folks

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what it's worth, yesterday I disassembled my mags. Not very dirty at all. Cleaned them anyway and sprayed the inside with silicone spray. I've used it many times before as a matter of routine maintenance. The dry silicone residue seems to have lubed them enough, that the problem disappeared. I'm still puzzled, because ball and reloaded ammo have always worked without fail. The only problem was the hollowpoints being nose down when the slide was pulled back. Now this was before even letting the slide go forward the first time. Seems to me that the other rounds should be doing the same thing. So, I'm still convinced it the mags. Lube, springs, maybe just need somemore wear. Think I'll play with them for awhile and if the problem comes back, I'll follow up on 45 Forever's information above. Well anyway, I think I'll go to the range or the lake bed today.

Registered
Smokewagon,

I think JWC nailed it with the magazine suggestion. I was really vexed with that first round failure to feed problem in my Taurus, but I've also seen it in some of my other 1911s. Some observations I posted on another board:

1. The pistol was designed for seven (7) round magazines. All of mine will feed FMJ and JHP out of seven round mags all day without interruption.

2. I have not had a problem loading FMJ when using eight round mags. The 8-rounders may not, however, work with all bullet types. The JHPs may be a problem in some pistols out of an 8-round mag. You鈥檒l have to test each 1911. The mags which work and feed reliably in one pistol may choke in another. Some pistols are just more sensitive than others . YMMV

3. The same 8-round mag which won鈥檛 feed a JHP when fully loaded, will probably feed that round if only loaded with seven rounds. Tested with CMC Shooting Stars, KimPro, Mec-Gar, Novak and Taurus 8-round mags. That extra round may overtax the spring just enough that it doesn鈥檛 have enough oomph to feed that first round of JHP.

4. Good quality mags tend to have stronger springs and work reliably when loaded to the full 8-round capacity. Wilson 47D and CMC PowerMags cured my JHP feeding woes in even my most finicky pistol. The down side is that you will pay more for these mags, especially the Wilsons.

Some folks have called 1911s jamomatics, but when used as designed, they operate just fine. JHPs and 8-round mags weren鈥檛 around back in 1911. For me, I like the luxury of the extra round, I like JHP for self-protection purposes, and I like reliability. I鈥檓 going to feed each pistol what it likes!!!

I hope that didn't come off like I'm some know-it-all, but I really like the 1911 platform and I put in a lot of time getting past the first round JHP problem. Another tip I found with my PT1911... if I put pressure under the mag when trying to slingshot load, that first round of JHP will chamber properly. It will also load if I use the slide release (guess I must ride the slide when I slingshot). For me, the Wilson 47D and the CMC PowerMags seem to work equally well. I usually pick up at least one mag at every gun show I attend. I recently purchased three PowerMags from Midway and I now have at least two mags for every pistol. I would not hesitate to carry my PT1911 (occasionally) as I have not had a feeding problem since I replaced the stock mags. I'm about to replace the springs in one of my more problematic mags with Wolff 5% over springs. Good luck and enjoy that new pistol.

edison

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naw edison, you didn't come off like some know it all. I like any and all suggestions. I'll get this nuisance cured one way or another, and I am enjoying my new pistol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts