Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend brought this to me today. The hand is broken. Of course that is a restricted part, so no go as far as fixing it myself. $73 and some change to overnite it to NAA. Another $25 to have it shipped back home. He didn't want to pay that amount so he gave it to me. Called their customer service and they were very helpful. Said it would be covered as London as nothing more than the cylinder and grips were removed. I am assured that nothing ever was, although the sideplate screw is buggered up, says he just did it this morning trying to take it apart, but he couldn't get it out.

Going to take it to my LGS tomorrow and see if he will put it in his book and mail it for me. Then it will cost me his FFL fee and mailing, plus $9 for NAA to mail it back to him. Got my fingers crossed that NAA will fix it under warranty, which the cs rep saI'd they would. The 17 HMR is no longer made, so she said they would repair or replace at their option. If they replace it will be a 22lr or 22 magnum at my option.

A quick internet search says these guns were plagued with issues, the cylinder would lock up due to the tapered case being forced into the recoil shield upon firing, and 17 caliber bullet tended to keyhole badly. It also showed that they were selling for quite a bit of money.
1424304094923516766213.jpg

Reactions: El_Perdido

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice. I hope they take care of you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hope ya get it fixed greg. I have had 3 of those in .22 LR only. First one was new, worked well. Couldn't hit the side of a fridge with it passed 20 feet. Second one was used. It worked well, but keyholed bullets at 5 feet. Found out the barrel had no rifling in it for some reason. Couldn't hit a firdge with that one passed 10 feet. Last one was like yours. It was given to me broken. Something in the lockwork was broken and I never go it fixed. Sold it for 70 bucks anyway. Guy said he would send it back. Been wanting one in .22 mag.

·
22,055 Posts
Too cool! That's a rare piece; hope you get it back in working order!

NAA revolvers are just plain cool. They are so well made, that alone makes me want one.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I came very close to coming home with an NAA Sidewinder in .22WMR yesterday. I would like something to load up some CCI Snake Shot for walks with the pups in the woods. My alternative is to send back my .22lr Black Widow and have a mag cylinder timed for the frame.

I think that anyone who buys an NAA for accuracy past 5 or 10 feet is fooling themselves. What they represent, IMO, are little pieces of fine jewelry that also shoot!

I hope they rehab your .17 for you. It's a nice historical item, for sure...

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Nice find, hope that they get you fixed up.

Been looking at one of those in 22 mag, feel it would be good for walking the dog, and as either a backup or one you can always have on you, and is meant to get you to your better guns.

Reactions: coopercdrkey

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Is your friend looking for more friends, I am available.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on what I'm finding, I expect NAA to replace rather than repair this one die to excessive problems with the 17HMR chambering. If that happens, I'm thinking I will choose the 22 lr version. I can see this as a plinker and a tackle box gun. Anycody care to try and convince me to choose the magnum version and have an extra 22 lr cylinder fitted?

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Well, on and off I've owned a number of the little guys, most of them with dual cylinders. I personally don't find it necessary to have both, but having said that, I just bought a Sidewinder in .22mag to go with my .22lr Black Widow. If it's going to be your only NAA, and you have the choice, Black Widow in .22lr is my recommendation.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Let's hope they send you back a 22 magnum.
The .17-HMR's actually sell for a premium over the .22-Magnums, so if it's a .22-Magnum that you want, it might be best to sell it, buy a .22-Magnum (or a conversion with a .22LR cylinder, too) and pocket the difference. The NAA .17's are in high demand by collectors already.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
For those of you who don't know, MR_22 is Supreme Allied Commander, (or some such title), on the NAA Discussion Board, and a pretty good source of information. Consider his advice carefully...

PS- See the Mini Magnum resting on my guitar's headstock?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The .17-HMR's actually sell for a premium over the .22-Magnums, so if it's a .22-Magnum that you want, it might be best to sell it, buy a .22-Magnum (or a conversion with a .22LR cylinder, too) and pocket the difference. The NAA .17's are in high demand by collectors already.
I kind of wished I would have purchased a hand from GPI. They had them. I see the 17-HMR sells for $350 - $450. I'm pretty sure from what I have heard that they are going to send a 22 back.

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
Well, my .22s work, at least. They're danged accurate, too, especially the .22 magnum Black Widow which will shoot 3.5" groups at 25 yards off the bench. It has REAL sights on it, Novaks. For what it is, my little .22LR version ain't bad, about 7-8" at 25 yards, and I've taken a few rabbits of opportunity with it, in fact, as it was the only appropriate weapon on me when I needed to do so. Oh, I guess I coulda used my .38 on that one last year I took from my box blind, but it was only about 40 feet from me and I had a good rest.

Anyway, hope they do ya right. I'd rather have a shooter than a collector, myself.

Here's my always ready weak side carry .22.

6r7gab.jpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For those of you who don't know, MR_22 is Supreme Allied Commander, (or some such title), on the NAA Discussion Board, and a pretty good source of information. Consider his advice carefully...PS- See the Mini Magnum resting on my guitar's headstock?
Haha, I dunno about that, but I've owned 7 different .17-caliber NAA mini-revolvers, and I've sold them off for more than what I paid for them--some substantially more. For an NAA collector, they aren't the Holy Grail, but they are, Oh, I dunno, Guinevere's favorite silver spoon, or something. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Just picked up a Sidewinder this morning. Haven't shot it yet. Another little jewel of a revolver.

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
I'm into muzzleloading. What with the lack of .22 ammo on Walmart shelves, I've often thought of the new front stuffing Earl. I have a Supercompanion, but it ain't a real great shooter. I have to hold a weird sight picture with it it's so far off, so I don't shoot it that much, but I won't sell it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts