Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got through recycling about 5 years worth of NRA's " American Riflemen" magazines.

While doing so I re-read the "Armed Citizen" columns.

Every single law abiding citizen that saved a life using a gun, used a box "stock" gun.

Not one single side walk commander or laser guided zombie killer amongst them.

How quaint us normal people are.

Guess us ole' farts will just continue useing the "will" God gave us and basic tools to persevere.

What say ye? ;)

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd say most people carry what they trust the most and/or is cheap to lose if they do have to give it up for evidence. Their custom jobs cost them too much to risk losing them or are not reliable enough (even though they would never admit it). JMO

Reactions: bre346 and stickem2

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point the facts make are as simple as the guns used.

Guns are the mere tools that back up our will to survive.

If one has the discretionary funds to expend on picitinny rails, lasers etc., then God bless you.
But, they are NOT necessary .

That grey matter between or ears and "Big Red" in the center of our chests takes the number one spot over equipment.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I prefer just a normal pistol. I just don`t see the need for laser sights or other fancy stuff some put on their guns. I`ve said it before, in a fire fight I don`t believe you would have time to be looking for a little red dot on someones chest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Point, aim, shoot. With my luck, by the time I found the laser on/off switch, it would be too late. Or more likely, the battery would be dead. OOPs.

·
5,686 Posts
.....and wouldn't laser sights also give away your possition if you were hiding from your intruder? Makes it easy for him to know exactly where you are too. He just has to aim in the direction of the laser.

·
Registered
32,024 Posts
A full auto Uzi under a trench coat is just too darned hot in Texas. It would surprise you how many of those box stock guns were .22 revolvers or single shot hunting shotguns!

·
Registered
27,444 Posts
Nice theory. May even be true. But there's no evidence to support that in the Armed Citizen column. The items in the column are condensed from reports published in newspapers. Newspaper reporters are notoriously ignorant about guns. The reporters base there writing on what they're told by the police. The police do not ordinarily release any more details about investigations than they have to - they keep it for possible prosecution.
I think you have to consider the Armed Citizen reports as incomplete at best.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice theory. May even be true. But there's no evidence to support that in the Armed Citizen column. The items in the column are condensed from reports published in newspapers. Newspaper reporters are notoriously ignorant about guns. The reporters base there writing on what they're told by the police. The police do not ordinarily release any more details about investigations than they have to - they keep it for possible prosecution.
I think you have to consider the Armed Citizen reports as incomplete at best.
Sooo...you're saying that you side with the mall ninjas, the NRA column for the last 5 years is BS, or both? ;)

Regardless of their original source it's a heck of a coincidence that laser sighted zombie guns were never mentioned.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
.....and wouldn't laser sights also give away your possition if you were hiding from your intruder? Makes it easy for him to know exactly where you are too. He just has to aim in the direction of the laser.
Miss Kitty this is exactly why I've spent the last few years urging my friends to follow the "Lance Method of Home Defense".
Since you're a fan of White Castles, I'm going to let you in on it at no charge (MSRP is $149.99 - except for the TV special offer where I'll double the order: telling you twice for the same price.)

The Plan does involve a laser, but NOT on your bedside pistol.

You buy a cheap Black & Decker laser leveller and place in near the side of the bed where your SO sleeps. Activate it at the first strange noise or sign of trouble; your SO may draw fire from the home invader, but I'm sure he/she cares more about your safety than his/her own.

This also gives you time to take careful aim with your bedside gun.

In every case where this method was used every home invader who survived expressed complete surprise that the shot that felled him came from an unexpected direction. (Some SOs also expressed surprise at being made a target, but only the few who survived.)

The Lance Method of Home Defense works!

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the "Fido" method. Tape the laser to the dog's collar and turn him loose.

Haven't taken out any bad guys yet, but it sure pisses off the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My primary is an WWII vintage ( made in '43 ) 1911-A1, at 10 yds it shoots groups at best the size of a salad plate, but I'm real familiar with it and feel comfortable with the old girl. No flash lite or lazer just 230 grain pills for BG's

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
27,444 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I like the Crimson Trace grips. The natural position of your trigger finger shields the laser until you have identified the target and placed your finger on the trigger. Check out the CT training videos: LaserAlpha's Channel - YouTube

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
All of the gizmos and gadgets that we add to our weapons are aids to maximize our basic skills, but these gizmos and gadgets do not replace the basic skills and are not required to be effective with our weapons.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I own a bunch of custom stuff but if something wakes me up at night I pick up a 12 gauge. In the day time I carry a plain Jane baby Glock 45 acp, or a revolver that is 44 or 45 caliber. Old and slow does not need a safety on anything other than the 12 gauge. I believe in the point and fill the air with lead method. You know forget about taking a fine bead and squeezing the trigger. Point and jerk, by the time I run out of lead they will have probably run out of body fluids. Years ago there was a sign on a gas station door that said " Theives please use restroom at side of building before entering. Blood is hard enough to clean up without all your other crap to go with it".

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Yes but so does the bullet that just went between his eyes, so don't hide.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
One of the major disadvantages of having a tricked out weapon in a self defense situation comes after it's all over. A hot to trot persecutor (yeah, the spelling of the last word is intentional) will use any excuse, including the selection of non-standard ammo and non-standard addtions to a weapon to try to convince a jury that the real victim was intentionally asking for trouble and the proof is having a tricked out weapon. My carry gun is completely stock and the ammo is what the many of the police departments in my neck 'o the woods use.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I second the Lance method of home defence. Any distraction the BG faces gives us time to draw, aim and fire. A flashlight at arms length is an option.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
All of the gizmos and gadgets that we add to our weapons are aids to maximize our basic skills, but these gizmos and gadgets do not replace the basic skills and are not required to be effective with our weapons.
Lasers and doo-dads are nice in principle but basic skill and familiarity with your gun will win in the end. Hand held calculators are great tools, but kids who have used them since first grade are the same kids working at Mickey D's who don't know how to make change for a buck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts