Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i could do like 15 web searches but had rather have honest opinions from you guys about the gun!
while at the range today getting my gun powder smoke fix i noticed they had a used Norinco 1911 for sale!
the gun had a very nice shiny blue job, good dark walnut grips and overall the weapon looked and checked out (by my novice knowledge) very good.
price asking was 399.00, I could likely get it for 350- 375 or so.
The range said they originally sold the weapon just a few weeks ago and that it had very few rounds through it, and i could believe that as it was pretty much mint.
They said the original buyer traded it in on a 38 special revolver.
tell me what you think and your experience with these.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I bought a Norinco Model Of 1911 A1 when they first arrived in my area, 1992. I liked what I saw, I bought it. The magazines were serialized to the gun, the bore was chrome lined and every part interchanged with my Colt Gov't Model from the late 30's. I tried swapping parts, they worked. As time went by I sold the old Colt for way more money than I would have paid for it. The Norinco has had a few changes done, extended guide rod, shock buffer, springs changed, stocks changed. It will handle any hand load I put in it from 150 gr. SWC to 245 gr. SWC and all RN, RNFP. I like the gun, it has never failed me. I paid $225.00 for it w/2 magazines, cleaning rod and parts list.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
The Norincos were a reputed excellent gun, as pretty well most everything Norinco makes is really good stuff.

George W. Bush banned the imports of Chinese made guns and ammos during his reign. Anything made by Norinco is good, and I wouldn't be concerned about buying it or owning it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a few Norincos - they make more a lot than just 1911's! Here in Canada there is no import ban so there is a flood of Chinese guns.

They're popular here because they sell for ~$350 and most other brand cost a bit more than they are in the US, so it's a better bang for your buck. In the States unless you're short for change I'd add another couple hundred and get a gun with a better fit and finish. Norinco is lacking a bit in those areas, but if you don't care for the fancy it will do just fine; they are strong reliable guns.

I also have a Sig P228 copy that I got used for $250! and a M4 and both been great. I sold my Norinco 1911 two tone (pic below) after I got a Sig 1911.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yep, the Norinco 1911s always had a pretty good reputation. They make a good base gun to do a lot of neat upgrades with. However, the price seems a little high to me. Does anyone else think so?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Well I know with AK's and rifles the Chinese ones were known as the best so I'm guessing they make a decent handgun. If I found one for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks guys more input is welcomed!
I have a Norinco AK-47 and the thing is built like a tank, and about as heavy as well.
but had never seen/handled the 1911.
So then are we saying they are well made, but this price is a bit high and I might consider a few bucks more for a better fit/finished 1911.
I have several and so not looking to just grab a cheap 1911 , just thought a quality 1911 for 400 bucks was a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Bought my Norinco 1911 at a Florida gun show in 1992 for $299. The bluing left something to be desired, but the overall finish wasn't bad. It had it's share of tool marks internally, and it had a safety that took a crow bar and two orangutans to disengage.

BUT...where it shined was accuracy. At the time I bought it I had probably a half dozen 1911's including 3 Colts. The Norinco would shoot rings around them.

It ended up being stolen during a B&E in Virginia Beach; wish I still had it.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
The first 1911 I owned was the Norinco. It was a GI model with parkerized finish. Over the years, I added parts for IDPA competition, and it eventually wound up in my safe. I gave it to my oldest son about 7 years ago. He still takes it out and shoots it from time to time. It had the tightest fit of any 1911 I've ever owned, including Colt, Springfield Armory, and yes, even my Taurus.

·
Administrator
35,182 Posts
Can't get ahold of the Chi-Com guns anymore, unless that law changed recently......the gun mag writeups I've seen on them were all pretty favorable. Can't remember reading anything bad about them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know i could do like 15 web searches but had rather have honest opinions from you guys about the gun!
while at the range today getting my gun powder smoke fix i noticed they had a used Norinco 1911 for sale!
the gun had a very nice shiny blue job, good dark walnut grips and overall the weapon looked and checked out (by my novice knowledge) very good.
price asking was 399.00, I could likely get it for 350- 375 or so.
The range said they originally sold the weapon just a few weeks ago and that it had very few rounds through it, and i could believe that as it was pretty much mint.
They said the original buyer traded it in on a 38 special revolver.
tell me what you think and your experience with these.
I've owned a couple of them dating back to the early nineties. I'd say the info on the other posts is sound. When Norinco came out, you pretty much had a choice between Colt, MS Safari, Para Ordnance, Auto Ordnance, or Springfield Armory. Colt simply would not put out a gun, other than their high-dollar Gold Cup, that would reliably feed hollow points. Norinco's much cheaper offering did. Jan Libourel, then the Editor of Handguns magazine, did a custom job using the Norinco as a base. I think they were getting pretty popular. Suddenly, Colt started offering the 1991A1 model alongside its stable of 1911's. The only difference between the existing guns and the newer model was the model number and the fact that the gun reliably worked with hollow points, right out of the box, just like the Norinco. Colt's new model was around $100 higher, but it was made here and it had the magic Colt name. Just about that time King George signed the import ban, so it really didn't matter anyway. Colt's quietly upgraded their existing models to the point that they worked with hollowpoints as did the other manufacturers, then more people came out with 1911 clones. I've always given Norinco the credit for finally forcing Colt to polish their feed ramps enough to feed hollowpoints. So IMO, the Norinco provided a valuable service. Today most 1911's work with most ammo. It wasn't always that way.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well hopefully I am heading to the range tommorow and if they still have the Norinco i will take a closer look see at it.
Loaded up some 380 all copper 80 grainers, Remington 102 Golden Sabres , and 90 grain Gold Dots and need to test fire them.
so if i still got all 10 fingers so i can hold the Norinco i will take a better look at it.
thanks for the input.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys!
when i went to the range
the Norinco was gone, so someone thought it was a good price!
course 1911's don't sit around this shop very long regardless of brand or price.
they did have in a very nice selection of Springers though!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts