Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Pardner pump shotgun. I noticed theres a lot of oil on the bolt inside of the shotgun, so I disassemble the shotgun and sure enough, covered in it. So, my noob question is, should this be greased up, or should it be dry? What parts of a shotgun need to be oiled?

·
Registered
28,175 Posts
The owners manual should talk about lubrication.
If you don't have a manual check their web site. Most gun manufacturers post their owners manuals - it's a liability thing.
In general, any moving parts should be lubricated where they contact other parts. However, the lubrication should be so light that it is invisible. Many imported guns come slathered in rust preventative - this may or may not function well as a lubricant.
(NOTE: not only is that observation general, it is my opinion - some people may disagree (although they are wrong! :D) but in any case, any specific recommendations from the manufacturer should be followed.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
That brown crap is a preservative. it's designed to prevent rust during shipping and storing. After all, they have no idea how long it might set in a warehouse before it's purchaed by the end user. Clean it out (gunscrubber is good), put a couple of drops of gun oil on it here and there, work the action a few times and call it good.

More people overlube a gun than underlube them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm probably one of those folks that over-lubes. But, since my guns tend to sit in the safe all winter long, I rather over do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have one, unload, double check, dissasemble clean out factory grease, oil lightly, fire away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts