Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2000 rounds on non-jacked fully leaded (guess thats the right term(s)) 9mm. I plan on using it all up, but someone on my SKS forum said I shouldnt because it was hard to come by. I would think that these bullets would be good in a self defense situation because of how they would spread once they enter the body. Is my logic right here? Should I just get some FMJ and keep this stuff?

Administrator
Everything is getting harder to come by these days. I always say, use 'em up. If you don't, somebody else will. Lead and FMJ is for fun and hollowpoints are for personal defense. :shooter:

Administrator
Lead Bullets for the 9mm are typically rather Hard-Cast, depending upon who made them and the exact alloy used. It is very doubtful that they will expand at all. Actually, JHP loadings will probably become more scarce and valuable as time goes on, due largely to the value of the Copper Jacket matrerial. Also lead bullets present more difficulty in barrel cleaning. I used to reload and use quite a lot of cast lead 9mm Bullets in my PT92 and patches of Noxon7 Metal Polish/Cleaner on a nylon 9mm bore brush kept it's barrel clean. These days I prefer Berry's Plated Bullets for reloading my handgun Match ammunition.

Registered
They used to make a poor man's black talon with lead by cutting an x into the bullet. Naturally doing it yourself will severely degrade accuracy, but they do expand, just don't expect to hit anything with it.

Premium Member
You can only find lead, or cast hard round locally here, in cowboy loads for the 45 Colt.
Solid flat round nose,
I only find jacketed or JHP in just about everything else, even if you want to buy quantities, they are so limited in shops. I know I read about the shortages of brass and other things earlier, and one loader is still having a time getting his to provide my last order.

Last small gun show I went too, the guy who was selling ammo, said he normally buys 10,000 rd per type, and he cannot even get half of that from his suppliers.

The exception to that has been Dicks Sporting goods, who have had 9mm 115 fmj at 6.98 per box if you buy 10 or more boxes. It is Remington UMC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts