Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite non-fiction books?

My latest was "White Coat, Black Hat" by Carl Elliot. Written by an M.D./Phd bioethicist who exposes big PHARMA's collusion with the medical profession. Makes you suspect every ad that begins with "studies have shown". Many of the so-called 'studies' are bogus for many reasons. Great read.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I prefer fiction. I deal with reality enough in life as it is.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer fiction. I deal with reality enough in life as it is.
I just have to KNOW, BT. Can't help it. I'll read a good fiction once in awhile, if recommended by a trusted source.

I'll usually check out a bibliography first, then take the plunge.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I read mostly non-fiction.

Politics - I read a few of Judge Andrew Napalitano's books ("Consittutional Chaos" and "It's Dangerouse to be Right When the Govenemtn is Wrong")
Physics - Michio Kaku - "Physics of the Impossible" "Hyperspace" and I am buying his new one "Physics of the Future)
History - Too numerous to mention. Just a couple.... the Patton Biography by Hirshson, Hitlers war by Heinz Magenheimer, Politically incorrect guide to the founding fathers by McClanahan,

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
"Heaven is for Real" Story about a young boy who dies, goes to heaven, and returns. Your either a believer or non-believer...but either way the book will cause you to pause and question yourself about your beliefs.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Heaven is for Real" Story about a young boy who dies, goes to heaven, and returns. Your either a believer or non-believer...but either way the book will cause you to pause and question yourself about your beliefs.
Non-fiction?

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
The problem is not restricted to pharmacology. Especially it is not limited to studies funded by drug companies. Read Scandalous science. Studies have shown that nearly 1/3 of scientists admit to "questionable" research practices (irony intended), while 3/4 of scientists have observed a colleague use those same questionable practices. (It's only wrong if you do it?)
Part of the problem is how grants are handled, part is the tenure system for academics.
The moral of the story is to beware of the argumentum ad verecundiam - the logical fallacy more easily pronounced as "appeal to authority". Why is something true? Because the experts say so.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Right now it's End the Fed by Ron Paul and 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask by Thomas Woods Jr.

Fiction: Anything by Frederick Forsyth or John Le'Carre. Oh and Atlas Shrugged. Bet nobody could have guessed right?

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
If you're taking recommendations:
The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich von Hayek.
Elementary Economics by Thomas Sowell
Away From Freedom by Vervon Orval Watts
The Value of Money by Benjamin Anderson

I'm gonna stop for now...

·
Registered
205 Posts
just read a great one. American Sniper, by Chris Kyle. It's the autobiography by the most lethal man in military history. He was a Navy SEAL sniper and for the purpose of the book, he had 160 confirmed kills. The old record was 109. He says he had more, but the pentagon wouldnt confirm more than 160.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
just read a great one. American Sniper, by Chris Kyle. It's the autobiography by the most lethal man in military history. He was a Navy SEAL sniper and for the purpose of the book, he had 160 confirmed kills. The old record was 109. He says he had more, but the pentagon wouldnt confirm more than 160.
I saw him interviewed. It was interesting hearing him talk! I'm gonna buy the book because of it!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Anything military history related.

Sarge

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
We Were Soldiers Once...And Young.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
205 Posts
thats how i heard of it. i think it was only released on 1/3/12

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One I'm reading now is interesting. "Traffic:Why we drive the way we do"

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading "Fighter Pilot" right now. Bio of Robin Olds. WWII ace who developed winning tactics in Viet Nam. Later became commandant of AF Academy. One hellova guy who never accepted 'second best' at anything.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
One of the best non-fiction books I've read in the past ten years was Faith of My Fathers by John McCain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts