Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a Personal Protection class for my carry license and we were on the range firing yesterday. Out of the first 24 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ, three failed to fire. The trigger clicked, but no bang. When ejected from the gun the rounds had NO mark on the primer. Switched over to American Eagle FMJ ammo and shot 40 more rounds with no additional problems. All fired rounds showed a good heavy strike on the primer.

My .45 PRO is very new, only 50 rounds through it prior to this. Those were also Blazer Brass, but were a different lot number. They shot perfectly, no FTFire's.

Because of the class setting, I was not able to take the time to try to figure out what was happening. I was told to just clear the weapon by dropping the magazine and then ejecting the round. The shell ejected in all three cases.

I'm not sure how there could be no mark on the primer. This must mean it was not flat against the slide face. But if it was not, how could the extractor pull the shell back to be ejected? ???

I'll shoot up the rest of the Blazers when I can get to the range on my own and try to see what is happening. In the meantime, I'd like to hear from you guys/gals if you have any good theories.:) Best case it will just be a bad batch of Blazers.

Thanks,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny thing you should mention that. I just got back from the range shooting the 9mm Blazers(aluminum) and I had the same thing. Out of a box of 50 I had 2 FTF's with no strike marks. Maybe I should do a thorough cleaning, can't hurt. Now where is that cleaning kit ???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the second portion of my class on Saturday and fired 60 more rounds with my 24/7 PRO .45. The 40 rounds of Remington UMC and 20 rounds of Winchester USA FMJ fired with no problems. So, since I stopped using the Blazer Brass, I've had 100 trouble free rounds. I'm ready to say it was just a bad lot of Blazer ammunition and not the gun. ;D

BTW, I passed the class so now it's just a matter of some paperwork (including photos and fingerprints), $105 and 8 to 12 weeks (Michigan) and I should be legal to carry!

Whirlwind06: I cleaned the gun (field strip only) before and after the only previous time I shot it, and the area around the firing pin looks pretty clean. If it does get filthy, how would I go about cleaning that channel, especially at the breach face?

·
32,481 Posts
Keeping the wee beasties that are compact and subcompact pistols clean is alwas a ongoing battle. Physics,tolerances of parts fit, and function parameters see to that.There are a lot of nooks and crannies that call for judicious cleaning and maintenace. Get out the cotton swabs,toothpicks,dental picks, and other materials needed. :) Magazines can be the same way.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whammer said:
Whirlwind06: I cleaned the gun (field strip only) before and after the only previous time I shot it, and the area around the firing pin looks pretty clean. If it does get filthy, how would I go about cleaning that channel, especially at the breach face?
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I use the little spray tube and spray from the back of the slide so the cleaner runs through the FP channel and out the breach face. After cleaning mine out I was manually pushing the FP out and wiping it off with a rag and a good sized sliver of brass came out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Keeping the wee beasties that are compact and subcompact pistols clean is alwas a  ongoing battle. Physics,tolerances of parts fit, and function parameters see to that.There are a lot of nooks and crannies that call for judicious cleaning and maintenace. Get out the cotton swabs,toothpicks,dental picks, and other materials needed.  :)  Magazines can be the same way.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0
I don't really consider the 24/7 a compact pistol. Do you? To me anything with a 4 inch barrel and a full grip is a service/duty sized pistol. It is thin and pretty concealable. But not really compact to me.

·
32,481 Posts
Have to apologize. Didn't take for granted that you were talking about a 24/7 though this was in that board.There have been threads started in the other boards that didn't belong due to wrong gun board type. Pro can be a designation for either the 24/7 or PT145.Both are .45ACP types.

Old habits die hard when most of the queries are for the compact pistol crowd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts