Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I fired my gun 3 times and noticed it was not jaming, but would not fire again after the 3rd shot. I looked the gun over, and found the spring slightly sticking out of the front. I was told this was the 3rd gen gun, and would come with the upgraded spring. I am pissed. I have to go to St. Louis tomorrow, and dont have any gun to carry with me. I called the store I bought it from, but it has been over 30 days, so I have to go through Taurus. This gun was shipped from the factory when I ordered it, and there is no reason for it not to have the other spring in it. I would have recommended this gun to anyone, but now am seriously thinking of buying a S&W revolver to carry. I dont know that I could truct my life to a gun that broke after 300 rounds. Not only did the spring come out, but the guide it is on broke as well. I think this part should have been steel, alum. something stronger.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
A few 3rd Gen Mil Pros have had this same problem and Taurus seems to be correcting it rather quickly from what I gather. If you can contact [email protected] he might be able to send the part out to you. (I believe it has been done for other members already---but don't quote me on that) Luckily, my PT145 has not encountered this malady as of yet and hopefully it can remain "healthy".

Not knocking S&W revolvers but you can get a Taurus for upwards of $200 less and it's gonna serve you just as well. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
sorry to hear Tar9mm, that is why I was so afraid of buying my new Mill. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and hope all is well. NYPD I hope we can both get through this, I wonder why they cant tell us what to look for on these guns on this problem? Is it not something we can see by eye? Or is it they are afraid there will be to many guns left on the shelf at gun stores and people not buying and fixing later through the factory? I wonder.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you could tell if you take the gun apart, but I have not seen the upgraded spring. Anyone have a pic of one?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not I , but they are color coded I bet. But they aint telling people this might leed to a recall. This is hurting their business alot.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I sure hope this doesnt happen to my wifes new pink PT111 ???

If it does I know Taurus will fix it but its like buying your wife a new gold watch and then the battery dies a few days later and you have to have a jewler fix it and your wife now has no idea what time it is and she ends up late for work 3 days in a row and gets fired and because of the stress on me having to cover all the bills I end up yelling at my boss and getting fired myself and we lose the house and cars and end up living under a bridge cold and hungry all because of that stupid watch battery :'(

Ok it might not be "just" like that but it could happen ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
This problem has happened on more than one occassion. Don't try Richard as he hasn't been responding to any attempts in the last month or so. He also sent me the old version of the assembly when I originally had the problem. The one he sent me also broke. I am waiting on my new assembly with the washer and will take pics when it gets here. Send the old one to Taurus and ask for the new washer one. They have them in now, as per my convo with them last Friday.
Like a poster before me, I have decided that I can't trust the gun now even though the reports from the new assemblies with washers are sparkling. I just can't trust it. I have sold this gun to a guy that will pick it up next Friday. I have decided to go with Glock (G3w6) for my CCW needs do to the reliability of them.
It's really a shame since the ergos and everything else on the MilPro I love. I won't bash Taurus because I have had 4 other taurus products and they have all been flawless but I will make people aware of the issues.
MPNova, good luck with the 111. Statistically, you should be fine but if I was you I would order a new assembly from Taurus, just in case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Taurus9mm --- I am sorry to here of the problem with your Taurus. I have carried a Model 60, S&W 357 mag, 3in bar for 5 years. I am satisfied that should I ever need to draw the weapon and fire --- it will serve
me well. I enjoy going out and target shooting with my PT 1911 Taurus but I sure wouldn't want to carry it
around all day. Thanks, Digger Doug

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, dont want to bash taurus, but on this gun, they should not sell any more until the problem is fixed. I spoke with them today, and they said I have to send my broken parts in, and they will send new ones back. I asked why it ever left the factory with the old faulty spring, and he just said they just now got the new springs in on Oct. 1st. I think that is alot of bs. Oh well, I am more mad because I really like the gun, but to be honest, I would trust a hi point or my JA nine over this gun, and they are 100.00 guns. That is sad. I will give the gun another chance with the new spring, but one more problem, and it is gone. I still may buy another snubby for CCW.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, Taurus9mm I know how you feel. I had my PT145 Mil Pro 3rd gen exactly 9 months and 1000 rounds when 3 weeks ago it jammed for the last time. It was so bad that the smithy at the range had to get it unstuck. Turns out a good chunk of the slide and some of the frame rail were gone. The gun was kept scrupulously clean and the mags were new. They sent it back to Taurus. I haven't called them yet because I know how pissed I'm going to get when I get the runaround like so many others have stated here.

In the meantime, I bought a new Glock 19 9x19 and fell in love with it. It is so smooth, tight and accurate I can't believe it. It has replaced the PT145 as my CCW. As soon as I get the PT145 back it's getting sold. I do like the ergonomics of it but I just don't trust it's reliability especially seeing how many others in this forum have posted their numerous issues. I've been on the glocktalk.com forum for 2 weeks and haven't seen nearly as many issues posted as I have here. I guess this is all a live and learn experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Teezum,
You went from a .45 to a 9mm? C'mon man, why downgrade? Get a G36! It is very accurate, lightweight, slim grip and a .45.

LOL, I am just messing around with you. ;D

As long as you are happy, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Must be a luck of the draw thing.

My PT111 9mm had 600rounds, not one issue, my current carry 45acp has 800rounds, not one issue.
I trust it for my carry when I have to be in light clothing and during most of the summer since getting it.

My PT1911 before was the best shooting and reliable 1911 yet.

I am starting to worry though seeing the more and more issues people are seeing from these, and the lack in primptness to fix such issues.
My buddy's gun has been at taurus for almost 2 months now (Brand new pt145 with FTF/Mag dropping issue), and it better be perfect when it comes back, or they can forget about me ever recommending and telling people about anything good about Taurus pistols.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After reading this and other reviews, the PT145 has officially been taken off my "Wish List".
Like so many others I really like the look, feel, and punch of the PT145. BUT, if you CAN'T count on it, it's NOT worth your LIFE!
A guy I work with just bought one "used", I hope it doesn't fail him if he ever has to use it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mrnuke7571 said:
Must be a luck of the draw thing.

My PT111 9mm had 600rounds, not one issue, my current carry 45acp has 800rounds, not one issue.
I trust it for my carry when I have to be in light clothing and during most of the summer since getting it.

My PT1911 before was the best shooting and reliable 1911 yet.

I am starting to worry though seeing the more and more issues people are seeing from these, and the lack in primptness to fix such issues.
My buddy's gun has been at taurus for almost 2 months now (Brand new pt145 with FTF/Mag dropping issue), and it better be perfect when it comes back, or they can forget about me ever recommending and telling people about anything good about Taurus pistols.
I just want everyone to know that I truly regret having to feel this way but it is what it is. Before my PT145 shut down on me, I too was having periodic FTF's and FTE's including the mag drop issue. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get it back before Christmas and it'll be all better!

·
Registered
26 Posts
03Shadowbob said:
Teezum,
You went from a .45 to a 9mm? C'mon man, why downgrade? Get a G36! It is very accurate, lightweight, slim grip and a .45.

LOL, I am just messing around with you. ;D

As long as you are happy, that is all that matters.
Hey 03Shadowbob, I understand where you're coming from. I kind of felt that way at first but then got to thinking. If I ever have to use the piece to save mine or someone else's ass, it's going to happen at 7 yds. or less most likely. A 9mm placed right is going to do as much damage as the .45. Dead is dead. It's the constant practice and marksmanship that's going to make the difference not the caliber of the bullet, rather the caliber of the shooter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have calmed down some, but just hope to get the pieces back soon. I really am thinking about getting a revolver. Not much can go wrong there. I hate that the gun broke because I really liked it before it broke. Oh well, better now than it it were ever really needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Teezum,
I wouldn't want to be standing in front of either of them, that's for sure. But I do have to quietly respond that the 9mm won't do the damage a .45 will. End result maybe but not as much damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
moe1000 said:
I just purchased a pt140 after reading complaints i'm concern about what may happen when i go to the range
Just stay positive Moe, as you may be one of the lucky ones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.