·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I would think. It does say they intend to keep a few model names, like the Warthog.
Personally, I have been happier with any Para I've run across than Remingtons.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I don't know, but this seems like it might kick the value of authentic Paras up a notch.

I would have just silently bought the company and silently reaped the profits, w/o stirring the brand-loyalty pot.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I will have to wait and see what happens once the move is made and the product comes off the line.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
You don't buy out the brand to always keep and promote the brand, sometimes you simply buyout and eliminate the competition. However, this does also allow you to bring the brand back at any future time. Kind of like Hummer is looking to make a possible come back in the market place.

·
Super Moderator
17,633 Posts
According to the article Para was having problems...

"Para has long been knocked by serious shooters for inconsistent quality control"...
"Following Remington’s acquisition, Para, which had been experiencing quality control issues, saw a steep decline in warranty claims."

so Remington didn't buy the brand, but the designs, knowledge, machinery, people, etc....

Arguably the "Remington" brand would be the more valuable of the two brands. They probably got it at a decent price to use to expand the Remington 1911 line.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
You don't buy out the brand to always keep and promote the brand, sometimes you simply buyout and eliminate the competition. However, this does also allow you to bring the brand back at any future time. Kind of like Hummer is looking to make a possible come back in the market place.
Maybe they wanted the machinery. You would have to buy 50 companies to dent the 1911 market. Everybody makes one.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm no fan of Remington, but there 1911s seem to be pretty good from the small amount of handling and shooting time I've had with them. It seems as if the 1911 is the only thing they can make that works anymore. Maybe this means will work out, or not, this is Big Green we're talking about.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I thought Para had just moved here a few years ago from Canada. Facilities (in North Carolina?) should be fairly new. Para also had new facilities for making alloy 1911 frames which Remington did not. I wonder if the new Remington Commander owes some of its parts to Para?

I really hope they do not bring back the Hummer. What a POS compared to the original HMMWV. A Suburban with a HMMWV looking body on it. It had none of the off-road capability that made the HMMWV great. I picked up Gen Foss at Bldg 4 on Fort Benning to give him a ride in a HMMWV prototype on one of the local test courses. I had driven down a rutted dirt road to the course at about 40 mph (where a jeep would have been limited to about 15 mph), stopped at the beginning of the course and looked over at the General. His face was ash white and his hands were locked on the grab rail in front of him. I said, "Are you ready to start?" He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Take me back to my office." The original HMMWV trucks were phenomenal off-road, but the armored HMMWV was so overweight it just did not have much power and would bog down in areas the original HMMWV would not have even slowed down for.

Reactions: Wreckerman

·
Registered
36,105 Posts
Para did just recently move to the USA from Canada.
I own 2 Para's and both are quality pieces.
Remington has been gobbling up all sorts of firearm related companies recently, maybe if you can't make quality , then you just buy quality and rename it.
I hate to see para go away myself.

Reactions: Normandy and TXEric

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Para did just recently move to the USA from Canada.
I own 2 Para's and both are quality pieces.
Remington has been gobbling up all sorts of firearm related companies recently, maybe if you can't make quality , then you just buy quality and rename it.
I hate to see para go away myself.
Well having bought a para over the holiday - I wonder if the warranty will still be good? Sure hope so? I am not a Remington fan. I have had two of their shotguns that have been the subject of class action law suits or safety recalls. I think that's enough for me to walk away from the Remington Co for a while and hope they get their crap together. Enter the R51 9mm debacle & 887 12GA firing upon loading a shell into the chamber due to the firing pin not retracting fully...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I sure hope I never have to send in my LDAs, Remington probably wouldn't know what to do with them.

"What n the hail is theeus? It looks lack uh 1911, but tha hammer an trigger are all squirrley..."

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am impressed with their acknowledging their failure with Marlin. Let's hope they learned something from that fiasco.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the key Para people get moved from Pineville, NC to Huntsville, Al. They aren't that far apart geographically or politically, although Huntsville traditionally has been a company town with the "company" being the US government. And both NC and AL are right-to-work states so Remington won't be importing any union issues.

Of course this is all preparation to closing the main Remington factory in Ilion, NY. Remington has to learn how to move a factory in order to survive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Para brand survives as a model or series designation. If I was Remington, I would fold all my 1911 and 1911 variant business under the Para model line but keep the Remington manufacturing designation. Either way, they aren't going to drop the line.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I sure hope I never have to send in my LDAs, Remington probably wouldn't know what to do with them.

"What n the hail is theeus? It looks lack uh 1911, but tha hammer an trigger are all squirrley..."
Don't worry, Remington will just tell you that its not broken, that you're an idiot, and save you the trouble of sending it in. Three of my good friends have bought new 870s in the last few years, all three have been plagued with failures to extract. All three received no help from Remington . Two of them sold the guns off to someone else. The third fixed his with some valve lapping compound, a dremel, and 45 minutes or so of polishing and cleanup. The guns were pieces of junk and Remington told them it was cheap ammo, even though the problem existed with all ammo. I will never buy another 870 and I advise against purchasing a new one to anyone interested in a pump gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,687 Posts
I thought I remembered someone saying "if you like your brand, you can keep your brand". No?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts