Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the almost five-year-old mousegun thread, it seems that no one mentioned the .32ACP Beretta Tomcat. Am I the only bozo who owns one?:???:

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Might be! I don't own one!:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I have an old Bobcat. I almost got a Tomcat years ago but I went with slimmer pocket guns in that caliber.

Tomcats sure have style for a pocket gun, though. :cool:

·
8,819 Posts
I am also a Bozo! Our Tomcat is fun to shoot and is up to 400 rounds so far with no hiccup's. Not really a tack driver - but under 20 feet it will do the job.

P6010077.JPG

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Don't do much mouse hunting around here. :D

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The early Tomcats suffered from broken slide issues in the blued versions. It took a couple of years for those that were in the system were repaired with modified slides. They are a little larger than many other .32 ACP handguns in the CCW role. It's a matter of choice today, not the ability of the gun.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I wish​ I owned one in 32 auto! I have a "thing" now for 32's in many varieties! :) It's on my bucket list!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I think they're cool.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The early Tomcats suffered from broken slide issues in the blued versions. It took a couple of years for those that were in the system were repaired with modified slides. They are a little larger than many other .32 ACP handguns in the CCW role. It's a matter of choice today, not the ability of the gun.
Mine hasn't cracked yet. I've shot mostly Winchester Silvertip through it, usually after it's due for an ammo change. The Tomcat is a bit fat, like all the double action Beretta pocket pistols, and lately sits home while the TCP fills my pocket, but considering the time they've been in production I thought more folks would own one.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Never understood why Beretta didn't bring the Tomcat out in .380 which is way more popular in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never understood why Beretta didn't bring the Tomcat out in .380 which is way more popular in the U.S.A.

They had a much bigger double action .380 with a tip-up barrel, IIRC, called the Cheetah. Maybe they thought that a .380 needed a beefier frame.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
SAAMI pressures for the two are...

.32 ACP = 20,500 PSI
.380 ACP = 21,500 PSI

Not enough of a difference to make major modifications on the existing Tom Cat chasis.

There's very little diffence in terminal performance on the street, but .380 ammo is more readily available due to it's popularity here.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SAAMI pressures for the two are...

.32 ACP = 20,500 PSI
.380 ACP = 21,500 PSI

Not enough of a difference to make major modifications on the existing Tom Cat chasis.

There's very little diffence in terminal performance on the street, but .380 ammo is more readily available due to it's popularity here.
Someone needs to translate that into Italian and forward it to Beretta's engineering staff.:D

·
Registered
32,148 Posts
I have a friend who has one and likes it. The early models seemed to have issues as JR said, and that may be when I lost interest or when the original Keltec P3AT's came out and got one of those. Lately, I have been thinking more about pocket guns, but have been thinking more about 9mm, than .380.

My friend Outdoor Joe, has a Ruger LC9 he has put up for sale, trigger kit and all that I shot last spring and liked. He is selling it because he bought an XDS, which is a compact single stack. I will say one thing for Outdoor Joe, when he focuses in on a brand, he focuses. He has bought 11 vintage lever action Marlins this year, and this is his second XD this year.

I don't see any future gun purchases on the horizon for me for a while, although I may do some trigger kit swaps on a few guns I currently own. EmptyPockets1.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I had one a few years ago. Not a bad gun just liked others better than it. It is the only gun that ever gave me slide bite.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I've got one and I carry it often when I can't get away with hiding anything bigger. I've got the better part of 1000 rounds through mine (mostly 71gr FMJ) and I've never had any problem whatsoever from it. My preferred carry load is the 60gr Silvertip but I've shot the 60gr Gold Dot through it, too.

The only thing that's not bone stock on mine are the grips. Being left handed, I ended up hitting the mag release button once or twice when I first got it, so I found a set of slightly oversized grips from Pearce or Ajax (I don't remember which) that recessed the mag button slightly so it was out of my way.

As for being inaccurate, my Tomcat can keep every shot inside the torso of a B27 target at 50 yards if the shooter does their part and at 7 yards, I can do the same inside a playing card.

The short trigger reach is the biggest issue for most folks when it comes to shooting them accurately. It ain't really made for folks with big hands.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
They had a much bigger double action .380 with a tip-up barrel, IIRC, called the Cheetah. Maybe they thought that a .380 needed a beefier frame.
It's more than likely due to the Bobcat, Tomcat, and Cheetah all being blowback pistols. Little TCPs, LCPs, P3ATs, etc. are locked breech pistols.

There are some small blowback .380 pistols like the Micro Desert Eagle and the large NAA Guardian, but the recoil springs are stout in those little guns. Plus, let your grip just slip a hair and you get a failed extraction. Bigger blowback guns have lighter recoil springs (due to slide mass) and are less sensitive to limp wristing than the pocket blowbacks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a Mauser HSc in 32 auto. The gun is from WW2 so it is older than I am. It shoots great but only likes to feed FMJ round nose. Give anything else and you get FTF. :mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts