Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Any other fanboys here that consider Taurus revolvers good and not just because of the price? They're not Colts or Kimbers but you wouldn't expect that anyway from a budget gun. They aren't as good as older Smiths but neither are modern Smiths.
My Taurus 85UL has been 100% reliable and is certainly as accurate as can be expected for a snubby.

While I don't own any other revolvers to compare it to, I have fired plenty of other revolvers and the Taurus probably isn't the best I've ever fired, but it's certainly as good as most.

Registered
Hmmmm....
I'm a little challenged in answering this question. You see, I've been very happy with my selection of Taurus products. (All revolvers. No ultra lights.) In total, yes. I do think that they are good guns. I could comfortably recommend them to a friend. But, that whole for the price thing is never truly detached.

Price and design selection are why I own a Taurus at all. If I have any brand loyalty or preference it's to Ruger before Taurus. Mostly because their customer service and support is soooooo much better. But I still love my Taurus revolvers.

I'm not starving by any means, but I don't exactly have what you'd think of as an overflow of spending cash either. I can buy a little bit, but if I get carried away it's gonna be a lot of macaroni for a while.lol

Price: The Taurus guns that I own are great, but it was the fact that they were available and $2-300$ less than a comparable Ruger, and $4-500$ less than a Smith, that I own them at all. I know it's only two small boxes of ammo today, but a couple years ago $200 was a lot of ammo.馃檮

Design: I'm fairly confident that if Ruger made an equivalent steel framed gun to compete with the 856, it would be a slightly better gun with better customer service, but they don't. I love my 856. It's not going anywhere without me. Taurus made it well.

Regardless of price, Taurus guns can be great, but it's price and unique design that makes me buy them.

Registered
I am at a stage of life in which I can afford pretty much any handgun I want. What I wish is that Taurus would bring back the Total Titanium series so I could buy a few more.
Amen! Those were awesome!

Registered
I've got an 856 UL. Put on a Big Dot front sight and Eagle wooden boot grips, and then installed the Galloway Precision trigger spring kit to get the pull down (tremendous package!). I had two SW J-frames that I liked quite a bit, but once I got the Taurus set up the way I like it I sold both the J-frames.

For me, the Taurus matched the Smiths in every performance measure that matters--and that extra round is the icing on the cake--and my decision had NOTHING to do with price.

Registered
If price wasn鈥檛 a factor I鈥檇 own a private jet to commute..

Since it is, I like to think about value instead of simply price. And with that in mind, I think my Taurus revolvers are the best deals on the market. My early 90s 66 did everything my friends Python did, same with another friends Ruger. The 66 never needed anything, it just keeps putting holes in things, that Python was in the smiths shop several times. Recently I added a 3鈥 SS 856 to the collection and it鈥檚 looking just as good as the 66 after about 400 rounds. With a Galloway spring kit and a good cleaning it鈥檚 got a very good trigger, better than my old Colt DS.

Taurus revolvers are a great value.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts