Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so all my life I've been used to shooting rifles with both hands - even though I'm right handed (my dad was in the Marines and always told me I needed to be proficient with both hands because you can't predict the situation you'll be in and one grip my be better than the other e.g. shooting around corners). :p

Now that I own a pistol I figured I'd do a test to find my dominant eye....the problem is I DON'T HAVE ONE (or if you look at the glass differently - both of my eyes are dominant)! I thought I was going crazy cause no matter how far I stretch out my finger I see two! If I focus my eyes to make it one finger then my eyes cross and whatever I'm pointing at doubles! I thought it might be because I wear glasses/contacts but then I came across a nice article that confirmed my thoughts

It states: (Note, People who do not have a dominant eye often have a hard time pointing because they see two fingers.)

I like this article because it doesn't assume that you have a dominant like so many others. It's located here http://www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_institute/summer_day1perception/master_eye.html

Now, I don't have a problem with this because after going to the range I shoot evenly with both hands (slightly better with my left but I think that has to do with the fact that I don't over tighten my grip with my left hand and somehow my left index finger feels more comfortable squeezing the trigger). I'll probably end up buying a left handed pistol in the future just to become as efficient as possible with both hands with any style of gun.

Okay so enough BS'ing: My questions are:
1) With the heinie straight 8 sights (or maybe pistol sights in general) is it better to adjust the rear sight or front sight.

2) What do you guys prefer when pistol shooting: a one-handed or a two-handed grip (particularly with the 24/7 Pro .40 ;) ) or should I not focus on one particular style and just be efficient both ways?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Okay so enough BS'ing: My questions are:
1) With the heinie straight 8 sights (or maybe pistol sights in general) is it better to adjust the rear sight or front sight.

Unless the sights are way off to one side or the other, I would not mess with them. I had a problem when I first started using Heinie 8's, but mostly it turned out to be grip, and trigger pull. Took some time to fix, but practice helped, "winter weather did not".

2) What do you guys prefer when pistol shooting: a one-handed or a two-handed grip (particularly with the 24/7 Pro .40 ) or should I not focus on one particular style and just be efficient both ways?

For me, I would say practice with both styles, Could be you do not have the use of one, for some reason. And you seem to be able to handle the either hand thing, so just being proficient thru practice would be best. I know I am set in my ways on some guns, but on others I can change easily. More practice now that nice weather is here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Thanks for the help Robby. I am more dead on with my left but tend to be a little off to the left with my right so I think it's more of my grip also.

I know what you mean about the weather - I wanted to go out the past two days and get some practice in but we had really bad storms and a couple of tornadoes come through down here in MS due to that cold front but hopefully that old "April showers bring May flowers" standard will hold up! 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts