Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Mexico DPS has finally given me an answer to my questions. They will no longer honor Alaska, Kentucky, Montana, South Carolina and Wyoming. I could not get a definite answer about Missouri but they stated the paperwork for an agreement was in the process and would not state if NM would or would not honor Missouri Permit/License at this time. It is very difficult to get a Yes or No answer from the NM DPS.

WV and Texas have signed a reciprocity agreement. The WV AG had a press release Tuesday on the agreement and has added Texas to it Official State page on who WV honors. http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm At the time I posting this Texas has not listed WV yet. www.handgunlaw.us has been updated to show these changes. The Create A Map Application will be updated in a few days as that takes time.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am not sure what is happening in New Mexico, for a while they were making great strides to have reciprocity with a lot of states, but lately they seem to be in the mode of dropping them. That is why I had to drop a NM application so I can legally carry concealed where I live.:(

·
Registered
896 Posts
This don't look to good for those who travel there or stay there and travel to the listed states that were dropped..

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Sure would be nice to know why they dropped my State.
We have to take a class and live fire to get a permit.
Covers safety and laws.
8 hours, 4 Hr. class, 4 Hr. range.

I guess I'll have to bypass NM on my way to Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
13,880 Posts
Sure would be nice to know why they dropped my State.
We have to take a class and live fire to get a permit.
Covers safety and laws.
8 hours, 4 Hr. class, 4 Hr. range.

I guess I'll have to bypass NM on my way to Arizona.
That shouldn't be too hard...bypassing New Mexico...most people in the USA think the only thing between Arizona and Texas is a state line.

·
Super Moderator
13,880 Posts
My neighbor is a LEO. Next time I see him I'll ask why the change in recip laws

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Does your state require requalification every few years to show competency? Maybe that is why they dropped your state. New Mexico requires you to go to a range with a state certified instructor every 2 years to show competency. I know it sounds like a racket but that is how it is here. This was one the main reasons I got my FL in the first place, I am not opposed to people being proficient at all but having the state mandate how frequently rubs me though.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Does your state require requalification every few years to show competency? Maybe that is why they dropped your state. New Mexico requires you to go to a range with a state certified instructor every 2 years to show competency. I know it sounds like a racket but that is how it is here. This was one the main reasons I got my FL in the first place, I am not opposed to people being proficient at all but having the state mandate how frequently rubs me though.
Nope.
Qualify once and you are good for life. With any gun, semi or revolver, any caliber and you are good for any and all.
Pay the renewal fee every 4 years.
No more classes, no more qualifying.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Get an Arizona Non-Resident license. If your state requires training they accept your license as proof of training.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The issue lies in whether the permit statute is "substantially similar" to what New Mexico has on the books. They have fairly stringent requirements but I don't think requalification is an issue. Issues include lack of finger printing, NCIC and NICS as part of the background check, training classroom hours, range time, etc. Check your statutes for yourself. New Mexico is full of Progressives and corrupt politicos.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I guess I forgot to mention the 2 fingerprint cards and FBI background check.
Renewal also requires the FBI check, but not another set of fingerprint cards.
Also can renew online now. 90 days before expiration of current permit.

·
Administrator
39,895 Posts
I can't imagine why New Mexico is backtracking in adding other states. But at least Texas has now gained another.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Gee! NM did the same thing last year! It caused lots of problems for those who keep up with where folks can carry. It seems last year they wanted a signed agreement from each state before they would reciprocate. Not heard what they are doing this year, that changed things.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well since I didn't lose anything the last time I was there worth going back for, I dont care what they do with that sand pit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have to agree. Training isn't a bad thing but recertification seems a bit much. It's kind of like having to retest to be able to keep driving. Then again, looking at how some people drive, maybe that isn't a bad idea either...

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I checked the New Mexico DPS and here is what could disqualify a State for reciprocity with New Mexico under "substantially similar". Where does your State fit?

*Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
No fingerprint-based background check;
Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
Permits issued to resident aliens;
No classroom (static) training required;
No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

It won't necessarily be just one thing on the list but several. "Permits issued to resident aliens" would be rather spooky.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have to agree. Training isn't a bad thing but recertification seems a bit much. It's kind of like having to retest to be able to keep driving. Then again, looking at how some people drive, maybe that isn't a bad idea either...
Other than driving is a privlege and the right to carry is not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts