Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been posted before, but is a pretty good write up on the CIA. Also gives a cronograph table compairing .38 +P and .357 speeds out of the same short barrel. I liked it because it compares apples to apples (Taurus .38 to Taurus .357 models of same gun, anyway) instead of so many articles that will compare one model with a 2" barrel to one that is fairly close, like the only differance being an inch longer barrel and a half pound weight difference. Maybe I just want to much in a review ;D.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=3557

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Thanks for the link funshooter, much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
That was a Good Read...<:)) Thanks...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the link! I have a model 605 SH2 which is a 16 oz titanium .357 with a 2-inch barrel. I haven't seen many actual tests of .357 snubbies. BTW, I really like mine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. The CIA or Protector is next on my to get list. I like the single action option, but also prefer pocket carry with a snubbie. My Charter is great, but has the external hammer, which does tend to snag if you don't get your thumb over it on a draw. Which ever, it will be .357. I sure would like one with a 3" barrel and factory compensator, though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i owned the 650 cia awhile back , and it is a great shooting carry piece, i just hated the report of it even with standard 38's it really cracks and try a 357 full house and you better hold on, i had my local smith do a trigger action job on it wow it was smooth , for the money they are hard to beat

·
Registered
52 Posts
shaner said:
i owned the 650 cia awhile back , and it is a great shooting carry piece, i just hated the report of it even with standard 38's it really cracks and try a 357 full house and you better hold on, i had my local smith do a trigger action job on it wow it was smooth , for the money they are hard to beat
Don't you use muffs at the range? This makes the report negligible and if you're actually using for defense...a loud report will be the least of your concerns. The 650 CIA is 50% heavier than my 605 SH2 (16 oz) and I don't have any trouble "hanging onto" the 605 and I love it. I think that the 650 CIA would be a good choice for anyone. It's heavier than the 605 but has a shrouded hammer to avoid snagging on a draw. My 605 has an external hammer but, I like to thumb it back on the draw so, snagging is academic and, if I need to shoot fast, having the first shot single action is waaay better for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the 650 took my brother out shootin and he thought his 45 was bigger better than the 357. He doesnt shoot too much. So I load 5 357's and said have at it. After the 2nd. shot he handed it back and said thats not fun to shoot. First time I shot it with the 357's, it was an experience. Getting used to it now. great gun.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Although I will say I bought the stainless finish. I try to stay away from blue finish on the hand guns, I am not so sure I like the satin finish as much as the shiny finish on other models. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Charter is about the same size/wt of a CIA and has the ported barrel. It is about the same to shoot .38+Ps or .357s in the 125-135gr loads. It is my understanding that the CIA .357 is also ported, so it shouldn't be much different to shoot. Besides if you draw and fire all five rounds at night, the fight is over...that much noise and flash and everyone is blind and deaf anyway... :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think that the early models were ported but for a few years they've been without extra holes. I know that mine isn't ported.

Steelheart

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mines not ported

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the .38s are not ported, but the last gun show here had several of the .357s that were. They may have been old stock, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts