Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$349, after the $100 rebate. I just ordered one. They sent it today. It's from a place called Tanner's in Pennsylvania.
Tanners Gun And Sports Center | Gun Shop Jamison Pennsylvania
Go to auctions section (gunbroker.)

Is it just me, or are many nice guns at all time low prices? Colts are priced low, too. I really wasn't in the market for another 1911 after I got my PT 1911 this summer (at another insanely low price of $399.) If you want to go a little upscale from the Para, some Colt 1991's can be had for close to $600 after rebate.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
The Wall Street Journal just published an article on Smith and Wesson, but I think one key take away is universal. Basically they produced so much during the hype and sales have slid so much that there is or soon will be a glut of all sorts of models.

Great find there by the way!

Reactions: Cariwine and Rossi

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: Rossi

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: ACE35 and Rossi

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
I have purchased from Tanner's before, top notch dealer to work with. I have been watching these darn Para deals with great sadness, I want to order, but I am trying to downsize not biggie size my collection.

Glad you picked up on a great deal,

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got my gun last night...sorry, no pictures yet. It looks like a real nice piece. Comes with TWO mags and a very nice plastic case. It looks to have a polymer grip safety, trigger and barrel bushing, so it doesn't quite have the heft of my PT 1911. Not a negative, as it might make the gun a bit more carry friendly. The "roll markings" aren't quite as clean as on my Taurus, but no big deal. The overall finish is a little nicer than on the Taurus. So I'm very pleased so far. If it can shoot and function even close to what the Taurus does, I'll be real happy.

If you buy one, remember that the extremely low price is due to a $100 rebate. A guy on the Para forum claims he just bought a blued version for $299 after rebate at his local gun store! So Tanner's isn't the only place offering great deals on these, apparently. But Tanner's has been very good to deal with. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
are there points off for polymer parts, or do they work pretty well? can they be directly swapped for steel, or was it designed for lighter weight components, rendering steel parts unuseable?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What a sweet deal. :icon_ rocker:

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Great deal indeed! congratulations-2271.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've seen this deal and would love to buy one but like another member I need to downsize a bit or get a divorce.
mace

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are there points off for polymer parts, or do they work pretty well? can they be directly swapped for steel, or was it designed for lighter weight components, rendering steel parts unuseable?

I believe the 1911 format is pretty interchangeable...in that sense it's like a pistol version of an AR rifle. Para has some doublestack 1911's that won't be interchangeable as to most of the parts, but I think the conventional guns are. I don't know if polymer is considered a comedown, but I don't personally see a problem with it. I've got at least a half dozen handguns with a whole lot more polymer on them than this thing, and they all work fine. Of course, I've heard 1911 guys described as kind of like Harley guys so who knows where tradition will trump innovation. :rolleyes:

I'm a 1911 newbie, so I really can't speak with authority on these things. I can say that I've never seen or heard anyone complain about Para's polymer components.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Polymer parts save both weight and production cost.
Quite a few very well known 1911's have some polymer parts.
they have never shown a problem for me personally and I have a few 1911's with over 1000 rounds and the polymer shows less wear than the steel part in other 1911's with like mileage.
I actually have removed a couple 1911 steel triggers and replaced them with polymer hybrid triggers.
Please do not drum me out of the 1911 club.
all polymer parts should exchange with the steel parts IF they are from a single stack SA 1911 with the customary hand fitting.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
really dont want to let this one slip away, I could always have an ambi safety installed...
Or hire a right handed GUN BEARER to tote it for you!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts