Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, All.
I'm new here & also new to Taurus pistols; although I do own a few other brands of revolvers & have basic general knowledge, this is my first Taurus pistol. This pistol was delivered today & I purchased it from a reputable seller on GB (he has over 700 pos. feedback w/ one neg). In the first pic you can see what at first I though was a scratch from the factory (supposed to be a NIB revolver), but upon close inspection under a magnifying light, (& feeling it w/ my fingernail), I fear it to be a crack in the frame.

It appears to start where the parting line ends on the right side of the frame behind the cylinder & runs from there out towards the Taurus logo. Pics below, please click on the pics to show the enlarged version which shows greater detal:
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG

Also notice the slight, faint wear line on the cylinder side between where the hand catches the cylinder...Does Taurus test fire these at the factory, or could this have been a Demo or Display model that customers perhaps played w/?

More pictures of 'slight' wear in areas & some black looking Q tips which I was usuing to clean oil out of the cylinder bores; by the way, gun oil was practically pouring out of this thing; is this how Taurus ships them; or is someone trying to pull a fast one on me? More pics below, including bluing worn or missing off of pawl & what looks like other wear evidence:
IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG

Any comments or suggestions regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated;

thanks, LT.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Till the technical difficulties are rectified...

Welcome aboard from
Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses & counting!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Some people's NIB is that it has never been fired, some is straight off the truck. I would bet that it was a display model that has been touched a time or two. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
O.K., got the pictures to work; if you click on them & look @ the larger version, you can really see it; otherwise it looks like a tooling scratch or something like that; you can actually feel a slight slope in the frame on either side of the defect when you run your finger over it, almost like a stress riser.

Like I said any comments on this would be greatly appreciated;
Thanks; L.T.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Looks like a scratch in the side plate to me.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
First 2 pics look like a surface scratch to me. Try some polish and see if it gets better.

·
5,686 Posts
The first two look like a scratch and nothing more. One way to tell if a wheel gun has been used, is if it has a significant 'ring of honor' on the cylinder, it appears this one does. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say you got one pulled over on you. That firearm, from what pictures you have shown, appears to be used. Taurus does test fire them, but they do not send new firearms with that amount of wear and tear on them.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I agree that it's a scratch. If you look toward the end of the mark, you'll note that it has a skip in it. A crack wouldn't do that. The gun has been used, and that light mark on the cylinder is more evidence of that use. You need to speak to the seller if he promised it as new in box, or unfired.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Yes, but not enough to form a burn ring, and score the cylinder like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts